What matters more (1 Viewer)

Super_Mario

HSC
Hey guys, in terms of school assessment, what matters more your rank or your marks?

I'm wondering since my ranks are quite good (top5 for half of my subjects) but the marks I am getting, while good, aren't quite enough for the ATAR I want of 96+.

martinc

HSC
Ranks and your school rank matter the most.

Each school sets their assessments different. Some schools who find their overall cohort is weak, may set easier tests, hence the good students will get 80% + . Some schools, and most selective schools, set harder tests, to create a larger spread across their students.
Note: at a selective school, the overall cohort is quite bright, and the school must clearly differentiate them.

Like the difficultly of assessments, some schools also chose to mark for harshly.

Hence, comparing your marks to students at other schools is not really viable.

Rank betters more, as all the school sends off your ranks to the BOS, and they re-moderate them and compare them to your cohort's HSC performance.

Your marks do matter though obviously. You do not want to be coming first, but barely knowing any of the material, just, they are not as anywhere near as important as ranks.

Top 5 is good btw :) Congrats.

Super_Mario

HSC
Our school sets hard exams and mark quite harshly, so I'm glad the rank matters more. My Economics teacher told us to take our exam percentages and add 5% due to that :)

Irrelevance

HSC
Depending on the school, the ranks may mean everything or mean nothing.

I've realised my school sets our tests hard, in my maths and physics courses.

So, if you're in a high ranked school ranked like 20/40, you're going to be doing well, but if you're in a low ranked school and got first, it's hard to determine whether you're going to do well or not.

Super_Mario

HSC
I feel better now, since my school both does well and sets hard exams. Thanks guys =D

Irrelevance

HSC
I feel better now, since my school both does well and sets hard exams. Thanks guys =D
Compare your exam to another school, see which is harder :)
In that way you can make a great estimate of how hard the tests are compared to another school.

So, do that and see :)
I think you could get more than 96 with those ranks just saying..

martinc

HSC
Those ranks at a ~20 school rank basically will guarantee you a 99+ as well.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Despite what people say, rank alone is not a great indicator (unless you're going to a really highly ranked school). For eg you could be ranked 3rd, but 40 marks out of 60 away from 1st. That is worse than being ranked 6th and being 10/60 marks away from 1st. Marks are just an easy way to estimate how far away from 1st but they should not be heavily relied on.

Both are important.

Your ultimate aim is to come first. Failing that you want to minimise the mark gap between you, the people above you and most importantly minimise the gap between you the the person who is first.

Remember to ensure that you're up to scratch state wise - books like Success One and Creelman will help you do that. So in your case, work to get higher ranks and hone your skills :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rank betters more, as all the school sends off your ranks to the BOS, and they re-moderate them and compare them to your cohort's HSC performance. .

NO.

The school only send the marks not the ranks. The BOS needs the marks to see the gaps between candidates not just ranks.

The ranks and the gaps are what are important and to get those the BOS needs the marks.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
listen to anna she knows what she talkin bout
+1

i dont mean that in a sacastic way- she really does know what shes talking about
Thanks guys :)

NO.

The school only send the marks not the ranks. The BOS needs the marks to see the gaps between candidates not just ranks.

The ranks and the gaps are what are important and to get those the BOS needs the marks.
Listen to cem - she knows what she's on about too :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)