What not to write for Creative Writing? (1 Viewer)

Takuto

HSC
LOL if i run out of time in the exam and cant think of a twist im writing i woke up and it was all a dream

shadyhaze

HSC
make it depressing and emotional, its the easiest to describe depressing emotions

if i try to make it happy it just sounds retarded, plus inner journeys often go through the psychological grief..its the easiest to do

dont do cliches, make storys stand out a bit through your describing of the surroundings
establish setting clearly

my perspective, dont do overtly happy or drunk...drug stories can be some of the most interesting ones, but mostly they are cliche, boring and non insightful no one cares bout gangland shooting

Cheap Thrills

HSC
def go for what you know. all year my creative writing pieces were about 9-11/15. i stopped trying to write about big epic travels, and i wrote something on my relationship with my grandfather, who has alzheimer's, and it went really well, i got 15/15 on my trial. im not a particularly good writer, but i chose something i knew heaps well, so it came much more naturally and i guess was more genuine.

also, i have been to a few lectures on creative writing, and the consensus seems to be dont write from the perspective of a child or an animal. i dont know why, but they dont seem to like it.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
They don't like it because it limits your avaible vocabulary and figurative language skills. Think about it, could a child possibly express themself as well as an adult, or even a teenager could.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
shadyhaze said:
make it depressing and emotional, its the easiest to describe depressing emotions

if i try to make it happy it just sounds retarded, plus inner journeys often go through the psychological grief..its the easiest to do

dont do cliches, make storys stand out a bit through your describing of the surroundings
establish setting clearly

my perspective, dont do overtly happy or drunk...drug stories can be some of the most interesting ones, but mostly they are cliche, boring and non insightful no one cares bout gangland shooting
um, i hope you're joking, emotional yes, depressing, hell no.

Cerry

HSC
Absolutezero said:
They don't like it because it limits your avaible vocabulary and figurative language skills. Think about it, could a child possibly express themself as well as an adult, or even a teenager could.
I'll give you the child, but I don't see why they have a thing against animals (I have heard the same thing though, one of our teachers was bitching about it at one point). So animals don't communicate with people on a "sophisticated" level. There's nothing to say that they're not capable of that level of communication, especially animals like chimps, who are really quite intelligent.
Not that I'm going to try it myself, having heard about the issues they have, I just don't see why the issue is there.

Aside from the "and then I woke up, and realised it was all a dream", we've been told that writing about the beach or the snow fields is bad, as is anything that could be classified as teen angst. And trying to do too many POVs in 40 minutes is apparently not a brilliant idea, because it can go wrong really easily (apparently even two can be a little disasterous).

~Natalie:)~

HSC
Also, even though the question does not specifically say 'story' do not write a poem. My friend wrote a long, well written, beautiful, intelligent poem in the trials and only got 5/15 because its not what they wanted. They said the poem was really good though.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
~Natalie:)~ said:
Also, even though the question does not specifically say 'story' do not write a poem. My friend wrote a long, well written, beautiful, intelligent poem in the trials and only got 5/15 because its not what they wanted. They said the poem was really good though.
my teachers have said that as well but for different reasons. They said a good poem can take up to 10 years to write, there is no way you can write a really good poem in 40 minutes, it just is not going to happen.

kasakiki

HSC
Uni Grad
speaking of poems, what if it ends up being a feature article or something similarly awful? This would only be my worst fears realised, but still....

ilovealyssa

HSC
i wrote a story about an assassin who went to assassinate osama in 1997 but couldnt do it because he didnt believe he had done anything to deserve death. its not obvious until the end what he does and its the last line when you find out his target is osama. would that be fine or is it something i shouldnt do

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
hhmmm those sorta stories i think need to much detail and to make it good would reuire u to have more than 40 minutes i reckon.

morganjane

HSC
i'm sure there is some secret list of taboo topics. but from what my teacher told me, dont talk about the stress of the HSC, self harm, suicide, that sort of stuff.
But yea thats all she told me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)