• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What qualities do you seek in a tutor/teacher? (1 Viewer)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
@Spiral- be relatable and engaging and funny etc. I would EASILY prefer someone who I could talk to and they understand me etc. over some genius who knew everything, got .95 etc. but had no communication abilities.
I agree. I just feel as if I can connect with them a bit more which makes learning easier :)

starshine02

HSC
-Notes: depends on subject but normally i prefer just a decent set. for maths I like a larger variety of example questions that vary in difficulty. Its a bit annoying when all the examples are super simple and i don't know how to handle harder questions

-Clear at explaining concepts (whatever it may be)

-Be open and friendly (so people won't be too scared to approach them for help)

-Understanding and just being a nice person in general I guess

Will add more later when I'm not so tired :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
-Notes: depends on subject but normally i prefer just a decent set. for maths I like a larger variety of example questions that vary in difficulty. Its a bit annoying when all the examples are super simple and i don't know how to handle harder questions

Variety. I like that. (I don't want to bombard kids with 100% super hard questions and to discourage them)

Yup thanks!

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Sorry Spiral, just another thing that came to mind. I also like teachers who don't rely on technology. I've been in many classes where a teacher spent almost the whole lesson to try and get the PowerPoint working. A teacher should be able to teach even without technology. Besides, learning is much more interesting when the teacher isn't reading from the PowerPoint and considering how dark it gets sometimes (because the teacher has to turn off the lights so everyone can see the screen), some people don't even listen because they sleep instead haha. Just my opinion :)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

Definitely this.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Sorry Spiral, just another thing that came to mind. I also like teachers who don't rely on technology. I've been in many classes where a teacher spent almost the whole lesson to try and get the PowerPoint working. A teacher should be able to teach even without technology. Besides, learning is much more interesting when the teacher isn't reading from the PowerPoint and considering how dark it gets sometimes (because the teacher has to turn off the lights so everyone can see the screen), some people don't even listen because they sleep instead haha. Just my opinion :)
I've been helping kids on the whiteboard for years. I hate smartboards. Yes technology failures. I also hate blackboards as my ears are sensitive. So whitesboards + marker will be top of my list.

Also, good suggestion on lighting.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
What about how a teacher/tutor should dress? Casual or semi-formal? Which is less intimidating?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, I like someone who makes things simple. It's an essential quality imho.

Qualities - patient, can add humour to the lesson and is a great motivator. Sometimes, when a tutor tries to praise the student, be more lenient when they mark their students' answers, it really builds on the confidence of the student.

The things you want to do as a tutor:
- Let the student know that they're in good hands
- Boost their confidence

And if there's one quality that makes a successful tutor:

DEDICATION.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Well, I like someone who makes things simple. It's an essential quality imho.

Qualities - patient, can add humour to the lesson and is a great motivator. Sometimes, when a tutor tries to praise the student, be more lenient when they mark their students' answers, it really builds on the confidence of the student.

The things you want to do as a tutor:
- Let the student know that they're in good hands
- Boost their confidence

And if there's one quality that makes a successful tutor:

DEDICATION.
I know i'll be offering outside help as much as I can. However, how much is "too much" help? Wouldn't it feel like you are bothering the student?

RishBonjour

HSC
There are some outfits that may drawn unnecessary attention which distracts the student?
being a good looking person wouldn't be problematic at all LOL

- the tutor must not be boring - unless your student seems like those basement kids who don't smile- just explain stuff monotonically, they will be happy
- Not spend 50% of the time talking about life (some is good)
- must explain everything clearly - doesn't matter if they have the best notes in NSW or got 99.95 - if you can't explain, you shouldn't tutor.
- and just be super friendly :D

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I know i'll be offering outside help as much as I can. However, how much is "too much" help? Wouldn't it feel like you are bothering the student?
Just give it to them if they request it.

But stress the fact that you're willing to help, if they request, at any time.

nightweaver066

HSC
Patient, motivating, positive, dedicative, organised and engaging.

Also someone who knows the material back to front and will be able to answer your questions and addresses the students' needs (including school work & even possibly student interests).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)