• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What qualities do you seek in a tutor/teacher? (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
But for me, I found a class of 15-20 quite good. I never would want to be lonely in a classroom. I guess it's personal preference.
Yeah, for me, I love class tutoring because of the competitive atmosphere/nature.

My current maths tutoring class is like 20ish.

While, for Physics tutoring it's around 10. Then, there's English which is just me and a friend :haha:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yeah, for me, I love class tutoring because of the competitive atmosphere/nature.

My current maths tutoring class is like 20ish.

While, for Physics tutoring it's around 10. Then, there's English which is just me and a friend :haha:
I would want to provide a good atmosphere. 3 does not work for maths imo. 3 only works for English.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
In my personal experience, 2-3 is the best since it's more engaging haha.

Each student is given personal attention and it's not a waste of money for them + it helps improve their OWN mathematical abilities.
Yes I do agree but the only downside is the lack of environment and a chance of engaging with people from different schools.

I guess I am the only one that likes lots of people to be around. Maybe i'll have class size preferences.

HSC
Uni Grad
SpiralFlex, my good friend back from school,

Having tutored for the past 8 months, I have found that there are quite a lot of factors that you would need to consider in order to being a good tutor. They're pretty much stated above. Also, what you gotta consider too is flexibility; you need to be free a lot so you can tutor them without restrictions.

Make sure you determine whether the student is smart or not, if they're not then you gotta encourage them to work harder, whilst if they're smart, then you could teach them more stuff or go through harder questions more frequently. (Y)

And as for the formal clothing and all that, tbh don't worry about it, it's not much of a big deal. You would prefer someone to feel comfortable asking you questions so that they can learn, instead of them being scared of asking questions and you needing to telling them what to do. Sometimes its best to make them go to you instead of you trying to go to them.

As for you, having seen you tutor people, I believe explaining stuff is no problem for you, in a lot of cases, better than me for sure.

Anyway, I believe you will make a good tutor, having seen you in real life and your posts on BoS. You probs should just post a tutoring ad now because your knowledge and dedication is an asset to us all, even if you don't get what you exactly want (for HSC marks).

enoilgam

HSC
In my personal experience, 2-3 is the best since it's more engaging haha.

Each student is given personal attention and it's not a waste of money for them + it helps improve their OWN mathematical abilities.
I kind of agree with this - once the class becomes too big it starts to defeat the purpose I think.

HSC
Uni Grad
As for student classes, why big classes though? And what is your aim? Do you want to help people individually with their problems in depth, or do you actually want to train a batch of people together to beast the HSC?

IMO 2-3 people is the most optimal. I was in a class of 7 ppl at one point. Horrible.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
SpiralFlex, my good friend back from school,

Having tutored for the past 8 months, I have found that there are quite a lot of factors that you would need to consider in order to being a good tutor. They're pretty much stated above. Also, what you gotta consider too is flexibility; you need to be free a lot so you can tutor them without restrictions.

Make sure you determine whether the student is smart or not, if they're not then you gotta encourage them to work harder, whilst if they're smart, then you could teach them more stuff or go through harder questions more frequently. (Y)

And as for the formal clothing and all that, tbh don't worry about it, it's not much of a big deal. You would prefer someone to feel comfortable asking you questions so that they can learn, instead of them being scared of asking questions and you needing to telling them what to do. Sometimes its best to make them go to you instead of you trying to go to them.

As for you, having seen you tutor people, I believe explaining stuff is no problem for you, in a lot of cases, better than me for sure.

Anyway, I believe you will make a good tutor, having seen you in real life and your posts on BoS. You probs should just post a tutoring ad now because your knowledge and dedication is an asset to us all, even if you don't get what you exactly want (for HSC marks).
YZ <3

enoilgam

HSC
Another quality you need is adaptability - all students are different, both in terms of ability, goals, dedication etc. As a tutor, you need to have a good understanding of your students and an ability to tailor your technique to suit each individual person.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Another quality you need is adaptability - all students are different, both in terms of ability, goals, dedication etc. As a tutor, you need to have a good understanding of your students and an ability to tailor your technique to suit each individual person.
Yes, for large classrooms (>5) am I correct in saying there may be a diverse range of that making it harder to adapt?

enoilgam

HSC
Yes, for large classrooms (>5) am I correct in saying there may be a diverse range of that making it harder to adapt?
True (I was thinking more one-on-one).

EDIT: In any event, you should try to ensure that all you are meeting the needs of your students. As you have seen with one of the p00ners, tutoring can be pointless if the person feels lost with the work.

Last edited:

deswa

HSC
@Spiral- what exactly are you aiming for from your tutoring?

And whilst I'm thinking about large class sizes, with 15 people, you will inevitably have some people that are very ahead of others. How are you planning on keeping them all engaged and learning etc. Are you thinking of targetting certain groups of people?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

And whilst I'm thinking about large class sizes, with 15 people, you will inevitably have some people that are very ahead of others. How are you planning on keeping them all engaged and learning etc. Are you thinking of targetting certain groups of people?
I aim to enlighten students and help them achieve their goals. I would also like to give them an experience like no other.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Personally I would find it more satisfying helping struggling kids and bring them onto a level they would never have imagined. But any group is fine for me.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I aim to enlighten students and help them achieve their goals. I would also like to give them an experience like no other.
I think 10 to 15 isn't that bad of a number.

You should see classes at Ngo & Sons at times..... I heard some of their classes were 30+ at times...

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I think 10 to 15 isn't that bad of a number.

You should see classes at Ngo & Sons at times..... I heard some of their classes were 30+ at times...
I work most efficiently on a 10-15 class. On a 2-3 class I get quite lonely but that's just me. Yeah I would try and let them select their preference.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I work most efficiently on a 10-15 class. On a 2-3 class I get quite lonely but that's just me. Yeah I would try and let them select their preference.
Maybe offer smaller AND larger classes.

HSC
Uni Grad
Well you really wouldn't know after all, so I'd suggest give a small group a try, and/or possibly a big group a try. Either way, they will both be hectic at first but itll be better later onwards.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Well you really wouldn't know after all, so I'd suggest give a small group a try, and/or possibly a big group a try. Either way, they will both be hectic at first but itll be better later onwards.
Yup thanks. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)