• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What qualities do you seek in a tutor/teacher? (2 Viewers)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Just give it to them if they request it.

But stress the fact that you're willing to help, if they request, at any time.
Yup thanks, In Japan the teacher does regular check-ups/house visits. I think that's quite creepy haha.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
What about how a teacher/tutor should dress? Casual or semi-formal? Which is less intimidating?
I think teachers should dress formally, that's what they do at most schools, right? The reason is because there needs to be a line between the teacher and the student. I find that teachers who dress casually get treated like another student. So students wouldn't care if they are a few minutes late, they would start talking about their personal lives in class, etc. Also, it means that there is no excuse for the uniform not to be worn correctly (this is probably more important at a Catholic school). At our school when students start taking off their ties and undoing their top button because it's hot, the teacher would say "Well I have to wear my tie and do my top button. Why shouldn't you?"

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I think teachers should dress formally, that's what they do at most schools, right? The reason is because there needs to be a line between the teacher and the student. I find that teachers who dress casually get treated like another student. So students wouldn't care if they are a few minutes late, they would start talking about their personal lives in class, etc. Also, it means that there is no excuse for the uniform not to be worn correctly (this is probably more important at a Catholic school). At our school when students start taking off their ties and undoing their top button because it's hot, the teacher would say "Well I have to wear my tie and do my top button. Why shouldn't you?"
How formal? Suited up? Or just with a nice button shirt + pants?

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I know i'll be offering outside help as much as I can. However, how much is "too much" help? Wouldn't it feel like you are bothering the student?
I also think you should tell your students during what times you will reply to their e-mails (if you plan to help them that way). That will ensure that no one e-mails you at 1AM in the morning expecting a reply straight away :)

deswa

HSC
Tbh I wouldn't go down the suited path myself- it looks too authoritarian etc. Just wear something casual- honestly I wouldn't be too focussed on making sure the boundaries between tutor and student is that clear. I've never been to tutoring but just from general school experience, my favourite teachers have always been the ones I can relate to and they essentially become friends. I reckon the connection between tutor and tutee is the main thing so you don't really want to present yourself as some authority figure who can't be challenged etc.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I also think you should tell your students during what times you will reply to their e-mails (if you plan to help them that way). That will ensure that no one e-mails you at 1AM in the morning expecting a reply straight away :)
Good idea. I will try to put the following first. [1] Family/Friends then [2] Students. I would always reply at reasonable times just not when for example I am at an important meeting.

Thanks Ealdoon for the input. ^__^

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Good idea. I will try to put the following first. [1] Family/Friends then [2] Students. I would always reply at reasonable times just not when for example I am at an important meeting.

Thanks Ealdoon for the input. ^__^
No worries Spiral :)

EDIT: The only time I've seen teachers in casual clothing is on sports days but some teachers wear formal clothes and then change to casual clothes later in the day.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
How formal? Suited up? Or just with a nice button shirt + pants?
Dress with class :p

If you want to make a good impression.

Also, as a tutor, you should notify the students' parents and discuss with them about their child (that you're tutoring) if the child is:
- Falling apart at school (e.g. lower ranks than you would expect from their tutor performance)
- Not doing their homework or maybe even if the child looks like he has been through some recent event that's caused him to lose motivation.

Show that you truly care about your students.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Tbh I wouldn't go down the suited path myself- it looks too authoritarian etc. Just wear something casual- honestly I wouldn't be too focussed on making sure the boundaries between tutor and student is that clear. I've never been to tutoring but just from general school experience, my favourite teachers have always been the ones I can relate to and they essentially become friends. I reckon the connection between tutor and tutee is the main thing so you don't really want to present yourself as some authority figure who can't be challenged etc.
I've only ever helped school kids within a classroom and privately at the library. Your last sentence is a nice point. I would rather bring a softer side and for them easily able to ask any questions. Not being challenged in a classroom isn't ideal as you need to engage in proper conversation.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Dress with class :p

If you want to make a good impression.

Also, as a tutor, you should notify the students' parents and discuss with them about their child (that you're tutoring) if the child is:
- Falling apart at school (e.g. lower ranks than you would expect from their tutor performance)
- Not doing their homework or maybe even if the child looks like he has been through some recent event that's caused him to lose motivation.

Show that you truly care about your students.
Again, not all students would like that, especially with strict parents. There needs to be some sort of communication line between the student/teacher before passing it onto the parent I would think. Don't wanna sound too pressuriee.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
What kind of tutoring are you offering again? I ceebs groing back :) physics?
Mathematics and a secret course that I don't want people knowing about until later. [Clue: It's something no one else in the state would provide for free]

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Anyway what are your views in terms of environment guys?

I've always had this notion of no greater than 15 (Obvious reasons) in a class and no less than 10 (Lack of classroom discussion) in a class.

nightweaver066

HSC
Again, not all students would like that, especially with strict parents. There needs to be some sort of communication line between the student/teacher before passing it onto the parent I would think. Don't wanna sound too pressuriee.
Not all students like that but i'm sure most parents would. Probably best not to enforce it, but have them know it's something you can do.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes. In fact, it should be a physical meeting with their parents after class-time or something (when the child is there as well).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)