• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what rankings do i need if i want a UAI of 96.95? (1 Viewer)

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Re: 回复: what rankings do i need if i want a UAI of 96.95?

lala2 said:
lol what course needs the UAI I obtained in the oh so very distant past...?
Haha.. that's so true :D

Even if I am going to decide to go to uni it won't be at least for 3 years... which is funny because after that time I become a mature aged applicant [so I hear?]

YO!

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
They MAY influence your result depending on your rank.

Let's say you are ranked 1st in the year. In that particular case, you won't be affected by your cohort. However, if you are ranked 2nd, you are potentially affected by the person who is in front of you (i.e. the top person). Basically, you are influenced by those who are ranked higher than you are.
OK, but HOW would I be influenced by those ranked higher than me?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
YO! said:
OK, but HOW would I be influenced by those ranked higher than me?
Ok, let's say you came 2nd in the year at school. Then you do your HSC and come first in the year with 99. The 2nd top mark in HSC was 80. In this case, you will get 80 as your internal mark and 99 as your external. On the other hand, the kid who came first in the year will get 99 as his internal and 80 as his external.

YO!

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
Ok, let's say you came 2nd in the year at school. Then you do your HSC and come first in the year with 99. The 2nd top mark in HSC was 80. In this case, you will get 80 as your internal mark and 99 as your external. On the other hand, the kid who came first in the year will get 99 as his internal and 80 as his external.
OH ok, thanks NAMU!

That's why, if you've got heaps of smart people in your cohort, no matter what your rank is, you're pretty much guranteed a great internal mark?

Namu, if I'm ranked in the middle of my grade, in a school ranked 50, and I'm about average in the grade, what internal mark could I expect?

Also, if for some wierd reson I achieve about 80 in my internals by >90 in my externals, would I be able to achieve a great UAI? E.g. 85-90?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
YO! said:
OH ok, thanks NAMU!

That's why, if you've got heaps of smart people in your cohort, no matter what your rank is, you're pretty much guranteed a great internal mark?

Namu, if I'm ranked in the middle of my grade, in a school ranked 50, and I'm about average in the grade, what internal mark could I expect?

Also, if for some wierd reson I achieve about 80 in my internals by >90 in my externals, would I be able to achieve a great UAI? E.g. 85-90?
Yes.

If you are ranked about the middle of the year, you can expect about 90 or therebout.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lyounamu said:

Let's say you are ranked 1st in the year. In that particular case, you won't be affected by your cohort. However, if you are ranked 2nd, you are potentially affected by the person who is in front of you (i.e. the top person). Basically, you are influenced by those who are ranked higher than you are.
If you come last, you will not get "dragged up" by your cohort. That is of course, assuming you also come last in the external HSC (often the case anyways)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
If you come last, you will not get "dragged up" by your cohort. That is of course, assuming you also come last in the external HSC (often the case anyways)
It was a pretty poor description. You can be influenced by anyone basically. You never get influenced if you get the highest or lowest mark in both HSC and at school.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
FAR OUT! That sucks! People are stealing your marks :cold:

12o9

HSC
lyounamu said:

=/. I don't really get it. So is your internal mark determined by how well you do in 'school/class tests' or the rank-equivalent mark obtained in the HSC?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
^ You are given a rank based on internal assessments. If you, at the end of the year, rank first, you will be given the first mark in your cohorts hsc exam results, ie, if the person ranked externally second got the top mark internally, if you are ranked first, you will receive your cohorts top internal mark, and so on.

That is then averaged with your external mark, I think?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
12o9 said:
=/. I don't really get it. So is your internal mark determined by how well you do in 'school/class tests' or the rank-equivalent mark obtained in the HSC?
Yes. That's how it works out. So that's why people are saying that it's all about ranks not marks.

If you cohort is generally good, you don't need to worry about it because you won't necessarily get pulled down by people. On the other hand, if your cohort is crap and you are ranked like middle, you are pretty much screwed as they might bring you down when you do well in HSC (or vice versa where You bring others down).

12o9

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yes. That's how it works out. So that's why people are saying that it's all about ranks not marks.

If you cohort is generally good, you don't need to worry about it because you won't necessarily get pulled down by people. On the other hand, if your cohort is crap and you are ranked like middle, you are pretty much screwed as they might bring you down when you do well in HSC (or vice versa where You bring others down).
Ahh! Makes sense. lol. I was wondering how the BoS scaled everyones 'school marks' to make it fair. I guess all that 'scaling talk' was a myth :)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:

What if your cohort is not too good and you're up the top? Not effect whatsoever? Please? Please? PLEASE!!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
What if your cohort is not too good and you're up the top? Not effect whatsoever? Please? Please? PLEASE!!!
No. Only way you can get affected is in a positive manner.

What I mean by that is:

you came first in the year at school. you do hsc and get 90 as your external mark. but you didn't come first in hsc (omg) but don't worry you will only get higher mark in that case. someone who beat you got 92 in hsc. his/her mark will become your internal mark as you came first in the year now, what happens to your 90? it becomes the internal mark of whoever came second in the year. and you keep your 90 as your external so you get 92 and 90 which averages to 91.

that's why it's sometimes good to attend academically superior schools like JRAGH or NSGH or Hornsby Girls because you can get pulled up. (potentially)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Then in theory your external marks will be higher than the rest of your cohorts, and you'll be ranked first and your internal mark will be the highest, and you'll keep your top marks and rank.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Then in theory your external marks will be higher than the rest of your cohorts, and you'll be ranked first and your internal mark will be the highest, and you'll keep your top marks and rank.
No, your internal mark is the only mark that will remain highest in my scenario (and in other situations). External varies depending on how she/he does his/her HSC.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
lyounamu said:
No, your internal mark is the only mark that will remain highest in my scenario (and in other situations). External varies depending on how she/he does his/her HSC.
Ahhhk. Clarification = good

I'm ranked first in everything but math, so, I really don't fret too much about it all. I just work my ass off and reap the rewards <.<

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
lyounamu said:
No. Only way you can get affected is in a positive manner.

What I mean by that is:

you came first in the year at school. you do hsc and get 90 as your external mark. but you didn't come first in hsc (omg) but don't worry you will only get higher mark in that case. someone who beat you got 92 in hsc. his/her mark will become your internal mark as you came first in the year now, what happens to your 90? it becomes the internal mark of whoever came second in the year. and you keep your 90 as your external so you get 92 and 90 which averages to 91.

that's why it's sometimes good to attend academically superior schools like JRAGH or NSGH or Hornsby Girls because you can get pulled up. (potentially)
What if you become first both externally and internally? do you keep all your own marks? How does that affect the person who came second?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
agirlinatutu said:
What if you become first both externally and internally? do you keep all your own marks? How does that affect the person who came second?
In that case, it does not affect the 2nd top person but who knows? the second top person might be affected by the people below them. And you are right. You don't get affected if you come first both externall and internally. That's why people tell you to care more about rank than marks as they are more important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)