What ranks do I need? (1 Viewer)

bleakarcher

HSC
Hey guys, I do the following subjects and have listed the number of people in my cohort:

English (44)
MX1 (8)
MX2 (3)
Physics (10)
Chemistry (10)

What ranks would I need for, say, a 98 ATAR? Thanks.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
1st or as close to in as possible. I'd say it's pretty imperative to come 1st in physics and chem with such small cohorts.

Just think how many/or how often does your school get b6 or e4 in your subs? Because that's what you should be aiming for in your subs for that 98.

bleakarcher

HSC
1st or as close to in as possible. I'd say it's pretty imperative to come 1st in physics and chem with such small cohorts.

Just think how many/or how often does your school get b6 or e4 in your subs? Because that's what you should be aiming for in your subs for that 98.
Well this year we had zero b6s in physics (lol) and a couple b6s in chemistry. In advanced english, about 6-7 b6s. I reckon my main problem is going to be english though, currently ranked 17/44.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
My school was ranked around 250s and these two girls in my year were either 1 or 2 in each of those subjects (one didn't do 4u, but was like first in 2u for example) and both top 10 for English afaik. They each got ~98, so i'd say everyone is right about top 2 or maybe 3. But look back at what recent Duxes at your school have been getting. I'd say externals are a lot more important than internals in situations like these, and if you aren't up at the top in a school ranked in the 250s by the time of ranks being finalised then your study/revision was probably not up to scratch for expecting a 98.

bleakarcher

HSC
My school was ranked around 250s and these two girls in my year were either 1 or 2 in each of those subjects (one didn't do 4u, but was like first in 2u for example) and both top 10 for English afaik. They each got ~98, so i'd say everyone is right about top 2 or maybe 3. But look back at what recent Duxes at your school have been getting. I'd say externals are a lot more important than internals in situations like these, and if you aren't up at the top in a school ranked in the 250s by the time of ranks being finalised then your study/revision was probably not up to scratch for expecting a 98.
Okay thanks for that mate. The dux of my school this year got 96.55 and he was roughly 10th in english.

deswa1

HSC
You can afford to be slightly lower in say english if you pump maths and sciences as well. From what I've seen of you in those parts, you seem very solid so I reckon you'd have some leeway in that regards

bleakarcher

HSC
You can afford to be slightly lower in say english if you pump maths and sciences as well. From what I've seen of you in those parts, you seem very solid so I reckon you'd have some leeway in that regards
Okay thanks deswa, but when you say 'slightly lower' in english, that would mean like around 10th right?

J18134

HSC
Would have to be up near the top. And on the side, I have to congratulate you for picking decent subjects despite going to an average at best school.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're having issues on English, you would ideally like to come 1st in your other subs and do well externally in them.

But you can't neglect English, given school normally gets a couple of b6s in it, still aim for top 6 or so.

nifkeh

HSC
he's the person that keeps hating on performing arts subs e.g. dance, VA, music (which is hard esp for performance) and probably all the other VET courses as well and also food tech and probably PDHPE

Last edited:

Bobbo1

HSC
School rank will make or break any estimations so it's vital you provide us with it...

EDIT: whoops didn't read further down, but others are right: top 3 in all subjects with atleast 1 or 2 in which you're topping and getting those band 6s

bleakarcher

HSC
School rank will make or break any estimations so it's vital you provide us with it...

EDIT: whoops didn't read further down, but others are right: top 3 in all subjects with atleast 1 or 2 in which you're topping and getting those band 6s
What do you think is the minimum rank in english required?

Bobbo1

HSC
Obviously if you want to drop ranks with English your other subjects must correspondingly increase

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)