what RAW mark do you need for a band 6 in ANCIENT?? (1 Viewer)

live.fast

HSC
N/A
what mark do you need in the exam for b6 in ancient??

what about mid band 6?? would a raw mark of 90 be good enough for mid band 6?

historykidd

HSC
live.fast said:

Sorry bud but i've heard Ancient doesn't scale or if anything, scales down a mark.

N

noir.

he's not talking about scaling. he's asking for the raw mark you'll need for it to be aligned to a band 6.

historykidd

HSC
noir. said:
he's not talking about scaling. he's asking for the raw mark you'll need for it to be aligned to a band 6.
Well then...

Anybody know?

I'd presume it would be 90-91 taking into account scaling, wouldn't it be?

N

noir.

historykidd said:
Well then...

Anybody know?

I'd presume it would be 90-91 taking into account scaling, wouldn't it be?
Ignore scaling for the meantime :p

I can't give you an answer because I don't know, but for some subjects a raw mark in the high 70s is aligned to a band 6. [read this in some thread] It's also just an example, so don't take my word for it

Mezra

HSC
I'm pretty sure historykid is right. If you get 90 in the exam, your raw mark- it translates to a 90. A girl I know got 100 in the exam and then got 99. So maybe down a mark?

X

xeuyrawp

historykidd said:
Fuck the bos, they make things unecessarily complicated.
Doesn't help when people say 'it doesn't scale well', when they obviously have no idea what they're talking about. :p

Everybody should look at this, and then ask questions regarding it, using the correct terms.

williams180

HSC
live.fast said:

for sure u would get an aligned exam mark of 95 plus easy

historykidd

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Doesn't help when people say 'it doesn't scale well', when they obviously have no idea what they're talking about. :p

Everybody should look at this, and then ask questions regarding it, using the correct terms.
Well how well does it scale? Nobody seems to be able to give me a straightfoward answer.

fishy89sg

HSC
PwarYuex said:

can i ask a Q about that?

so we dont know what our RAW HSC MARK is?

N

noir.

No. you do not find out your raw mark. the mark that you're given is aligned and moderated. 50% of it is the mark the you get in externals, while another 50% is the mark given to you that corresponds with your internal rank.

for a more updated list of scaling, go here

Mezra said:
I'm pretty sure historykid is right. If you get 90 in the exam, your raw mark- it translates to a 90. A girl I know got 100 in the exam and then got 99. So maybe down a mark?
like i mentioned, i only gave an example. aligning differs from subject to subject, and depends on the difficulty of the exam and how the state performs.

aljoz

HSC

historykidd

HSC
aljoz said:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/134/uai-hsc-marks-technical-arcana/55648/board-studies-reveals-2004-raw-marks.html

greeninsanity posted up her raw marks she obtained from the Board in 2004, by applying through the Freedom of Information Act.

In 2004, a raw mark of 83 in ancient aligned to a 90. So im guessing raw 90 would align to a mid band 6. But as noir. said, the aligning for a subject can differ each year depending on the difficulty of the exam and how the state performs.
Very interesting.

X

xeuyrawp

I really feel the need to say this again:

Why does it matter?

Yes it is essential to know how one is performing in order to prioritise with other subjects. However, just comparing internal marks (with how the grade above you performed in the HSC if you feel it's necessary) is sufficient.

Knowing all this crap about scaling, aligning, moderating, etc, does not help you in the exams. Don't waste your time with it unless you're planning on dropping out of a subject, retaking it at a later date, or something similar.

aljoz

HSC
Well, it wouldn't hurt to know how all that stuff works. Plus it straightens out what most people get confused about (the differences between scaling, aligning and moderating), and I personally find it interesting =P

fishy89sg

HSC
noir. said:
No. you do not find out your raw mark. the mark that you're given is aligned and moderated. 50% of it is the mark the you get in externals, while another 50% is the mark given to you that corresponds with your internal rank.

for a more updated list of scaling, go here

like i mentioned, i only gave an example. aligning differs from subject to subject, and depends on the difficulty of the exam and how the state performs.
thanks!! so the HSC mark is the mark which the board of studies sends us (on that doc)

Adam.Meads

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I really feel the need to say this again:

Why does it matter?

Yes it is essential to know how one is performing in order to prioritise with other subjects. However, just comparing internal marks (with how the grade above you performed in the HSC if you feel it's necessary) is sufficient.

Knowing all this crap about scaling, aligning, moderating, etc, does not help you in the exams. Don't waste your time with it unless you're planning on dropping out of a subject, retaking it at a later date, or something similar.
Agreed. Worry about it AFTER the exam.

However, completely contradicting my previous statement, I've heard that Ancient History actually scales well. Someone said it scales down, I haven't heard that before.

Its a very content ladened course.

Don't worry about all the scaling etc; aim for the best possible mark you can, and then have your panic attacks about scaling before they release the results.

Best of luck to everyone for Thursday!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)