What raw marks in extension 2 generally correspond to state ranks? (2 Viewers)

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Ironically that year Anthony Henderson got 100 raw, the only one so far.
Yeah lol I heard about that. Tbh the paper isn't that bad. It gets hard really early on like with that circle question in 3, which would be why the average is so low, but q8 isn't difficult at all. I'm not sure why its hyped up so much, years like 2000 and 1989 are harder.

Is it certain no one else has ever gotten 100 raw though? Years like 2017 and 2014 make me think it possibly could have happened again.

Last edited:

Skuxxgolfer

HSC
N/A
There used to be a crapton of circular motion questions back in those years but now they tend to not include those type of questions anymore (or havent lately), do you think that there is a chance that they might bring it back for old time sake this year?

TheOnePheeph

HSC
There used to be a crapton of circular motion questions back in those years but now they tend to not include those type of questions anymore (or havent lately), do you think that there is a chance that they might bring it back for old time sake this year?
I would like it if they did, those non uniform circular motion qs are great

Jacobagel

HSC
That's what I was thinking as well, although I don't think they will include it purely just for "old time's sake". I think they'll do some sort of probability question, and perhaps throw in a bit of sequences and series amongst it all. They may even also do something that is going to be assessed in the new syllabus. I've seen a lot of questions lately involving the Taylor series and how it allows you to express complex numbers in a different form. They may play on that, or possibly something similar.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The problem is that it’s pretty damn hard to come up with a good creative circular motion question that’s still confined within the HSC syllabus. It was a struggle for us coming up with good questions on this topic for the BoS trials (that hasn’t been done before) so I would imagine the writers of the HSC paper would have similar challenges.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
That's what I was thinking as well, although I don't think they will include it purely just for "old time's sake". I think they'll do some sort of probability question, and perhaps throw in a bit of sequences and series amongst it all. They may even also do something that is going to be assessed in the new syllabus. I've seen a lot of questions lately involving the Taylor series and how it allows you to express complex numbers in a different form. They may play on that, or possibly something similar.
If you mean the ones where you get the t- series representation of the trig finctions and manipulating them to show that:

I think that is a possible q15 or early q16, but I doubt it will be the final question (I could be wrong though). A probability question would be kinda cool, especially if it is similar to the one in 2009 (finding the limit of the probability as n -> infinity). I wouldn't be surprised if they did a really cool conics question like the one in the BOS trial this year either.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Hey guys,

Would any of you happen to know what the marks were looking like for the 1995 HSC (i.e. highest, average, minimum mark for E4, etc.). I have nothing to compare my own mark with for that paper.
I'm still not sure what the average or highest mark is, but I just sat the paper personally today under timed conditions (Don't have the solutions, but I was going off the exam report). If I was to guess, I would say the average was in the 50s, with the E4 cutoff being in the 70s somewhere (out of 120 that is). There weren't many difficult questions (Apart from that circle one) but it got trickier early on.

Jacobagel

HSC
I'm still not sure what the average or highest mark is, but I just sat the paper personally today under timed conditions (Don't have the solutions, but I was going off the exam report). If I was to guess, I would say the average was in the 50s, with the E4 cutoff being in the 70s somewhere (out of 120 that is). There weren't many difficult questions (Apart from that circle one) but it got trickier early on.
Yeh that circle geometry question was killer. If you read the markers comments, only one person in the state got full marks for all of the parts involved in the question. However I felt that question 8 was relatively easier compared to other years.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Yeh that circle geometry question was killer. If you read the markers comments, only one person in the state got full marks for all of the parts involved in the question. However I felt that question 8 was relatively easier compared to other years.
Yeah q8 was pretty easy tbh, especially the circ motion part. The only really tricky question in that paper was circle geo, and even that wasn't awful, compared to something like the last question in 1989 or even 1998. But part iii of the circle part is a huge trap. Like I just assumed it involved letting T be on VU and showing the result was true, but according to markers comments you had to work backwards from the result to show that T lies on VU, or you got 0 marks out of 2. Really hope I don't misinterpret anything like that in the hsc lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)