What should I do at the gym (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
I want to start going to the gym regularly so I can lose some w8. Not sure if I'll be able to afford it but we'll see how I go. I want to lose maybe 5kg at first, and then another 5kg over the next month or so.

How often should I go to the gym to do this, and for how long per session, and what should I do there?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Go away

cmon smart gym people give me some tips or something!!

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
When you say "5kgs at first", what sort of time period were you thinking?

Typically weight loss will be large at the start, then the difference will be smaller as your body shifts its balance between fat and muscle mass.

A combination of exercise + diet will help you achieve and maintain a increased level of fitness (and faster/better results).

I start my legit effort to improve fitness/etc at the start of this year, and lost 3kgs in the first month. I only made slight changes in my diet, not as much as I probably should have - things like drinking more water and trying to make healthier food choices, especially when eating out with friends, etc. After 4.5 months, I'd lost 5kgs and a dress size. Then was on a 1 month hiatus because of exams, and started up again recently. It's been 6 months now and I've maintained a total weight loss of 7kgs, and can observe vast changes in muscle tone and general energy.

I know it doesn't sound like much at all, but the weight loss i've managed to achieve feels much more permanent than any dieting or anything else i've tried before, which i think is more important than just shedding kilos for the hell of it.

The program i maintained throughout the year so far (with a heavy uni timetable as well) was ~1 hour sessions, minimum 4 days a week (aim was 5-6), combining cardio, resistance and weight training, including 20-30min weight sessions 2-3 times a week. Interspersed between that was 1-2 weekly step classes and personal training sessions when i felt like it.

Each session would consist of any of the following to fill up that one hour:
- 20mins step climber, 5.5km/hr on max tread
- 20mins bike
- 20mins x-trainer, 120 strides/min minimum
- 20mins on treadmill, max jog at 10-11km/hr
- 10mins rowing machine, 2000m
- 25mins on the weights circuit
- 15mins on chin up/etc + leg press machines

For cardio, i'd approach each session with an approximate goal for how many calories i wanted to burn. atm i'm looking at 300 calories minimum

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it worked for me. I guess increasing session length and a stricter diet would give you better results than i got. I still eat unhealthy food and maybe i missed my class for this week >_>, but this is something i found manageable.

hope this helps and good luck :)

Last edited:

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for that :)
yeah I was thinking maybe 4 sessions per week, about 1.5 hours each?
I want to lose 5kg in two weeks lol and then another 5kg two-three weeks after that. Is that possible?
Maybe on the days I don't go to the gym I could go walking or something and then as I become more fit, jogging?

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
OH i totally forgot
another thing to keep track/set as an aim during your cardio exercise is your heart rate

there's different ways to calculate your ideal 'fat burning' heart rate range

first you work out your max heart rate, so 220 - (your age)
then your range would be 60-80% of that

e.g. age = 18yrs
max HR = 220 - 18 = 202
HR range = 121 - 161

personally i just try to maintain my HR somewhere between 180-195 during heavy exercise and above 160 during moderate exercise *shrugs*

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
Thanks for that :)
yeah I was thinking maybe 4 sessions per week, about 1.5 hours each?
I want to lose 5kg in two weeks lol and then another 5kg two-three weeks after that. Is that possible?
Maybe on the days I don't go to the gym I could go walking or something and then as I become more fit, jogging?
sounds good, if you can keep it up haha
if you're fit-ish already then it should be fine

regarding your 10kgs in 1.5 months... haha. it'd be awesome if you could, although i'm not really sure. also it's probably not that healthy, you'd be better off 10kgs/in 3 months i think. depends on your metabolism as well, mine's really really bad, hence my slow results i guess

and yeah if you want to, although it's important to rest as well. especially with weights training btw, never do those on consecutive days - it'll just be painful and counterprodutive

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah my metabolism is the worst :/

so basically combine cardio with weights? Do I need to lift weights to lose weight as well? Why is this?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
muscles require energy to maintain, so your body will be in a constant metabolic state if you have some amount of muscle, and you'll get rid of fat quicker as well.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Yeah my metabolism is the worst :/

so basically combine cardio with weights? Do I need to lift weights to lose weight as well? Why is this?
Body Science Lipoburn Hardcore - Lowest Prices MrSupplement Australia

This stuff is absolutely amazing. Combine this with regular exercise (3-4 times/week) + low calorie intake & general healthy eating (plenty of water). Also try to drink 3 coffees/ day, skim milk. Coffee raises metabolism for several hours after consumption.

/Thread.

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
If You want to see you're losing weight on the scales I wouldnt do weights... Cardio's good

mes ami

HSC
coffee is bad caff. causes cellulite. Don't do it meliz!

Ummmm. I would like some help too please. I have chunky arse muscley thighs (posted pic in what are you wearing thread).

How do i get rid of my muscle?

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
I assume nodoz tablets would have the same effect??
I'm not 100% sure tbh. I've taken lipoburn before and they are very very effective. I wasn't doing an amazing amount of cardio and hitting the gym 5/week and still lost 4kg in a month. Basically any excess weight from stomach etc.

Umm
Yeah that is completely wrong

Last edited:

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

Ummmm. I would like some help too please. I have chunky arse muscley thighs (posted pic in what are you wearing thread).

How do i get rid of my muscle?
Give me some of your muscle and I'll give you some of my fat, how's that sound ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)