what should i do if my lecture units are full? (1 Viewer)

HSC
i went to enrolment for the international students today and the lectures for my psy 104 in 1st semester and psy 105 in the 2nd semester are all full.

what should i do? i'm planning to call the uni tomorrow. also what do i do if i want to move some of my afternoon/evening classes earlier? i really hate my timetable!

Mathmatics85

HSC
Just turn up to the lectures. because after the first week not everyone will turn up and you'll always have somewhere to sit.

antisheep

HSC
For the really big subjects they do actually check these letters that they mail to you before uni in the lectures... it's happened to me a few times... so you'll need to see if they can manually enrol you int he classes... because if there are any assessments organised during lecture times and you're not officially enrolled anywhere you could be in strife.

HSC
For the really big subjects they do actually check these letters that they mail to you before uni in the lectures... it's happened to me a few times... so you'll need to see if they can manually enrol you int he classes... because if there are any assessments organised during lecture times and you're not officially enrolled anywhere you could be in strife.
that's what i was thinking how the hell will the lecturer know me or how i even will get or give in my assessment! I already sent a really angry letter to the department and I will give them a cal tomorrow.

How the hell can they organise classes that can't accomodate all students?

antisheep

HSC
that's what i was thinking how the hell will the lecturer know me or how i even will get or give in my assessment! I already sent a really angry letter to the department and I will give them a cal tomorrow.

How the hell can they organise classes that can't accomodate all students?
I wouldn't get angry with them... running massive classes and subjects like this are difficult to run and they may not be able to foresee how many students will need to enrol. I've kinda learnt that the best way to deal with situations like this where you essentially are trying to get around admin issues or bureaucracy is to be polite... The person who receives your e-mail isn't going to be the person who set the number of seats available and is more likely to want to help you if you're friendly, but firm and determined to get the problem fixed. Keep it polite, and thank them when they fix it...

Chances are that if this is happening to you its happening to a few dozen other people too and they're going to sort you all out. Not all subjects have in-lecture assessment and they won't leave you in a situation where you'll be disadvantaged...

Good luck with your phonecall tomorrow, I'm sure it will work out one way or another.

Begbie4017

HSC
Are you saying that you dont have a spot in the lectures or tutorials?
The lecturers arent going to know who you are anyway and you should pick a tutorial time, that is the person that will "know" you.Assignments go in a box & find their way back to you via the tutor.

In 2 years at MQ I havent had anyone check my letters. I think someone was saying this has happened to them..
This isnt a major drama just an oversight, welcome to uni this sort of thing happens all the time.

antisheep

HSC
Are you saying that you dont have a spot in the lectures or tutorials?
The lecturers arent going to know who you are anyway and you should pick a tutorial time, that is the person that will "know" you.Assignments go in a box & find their way back to you via the tutor.

In 2 years at MQ I havent had anyone check my letters. I think someone was saying this has happened to them..
This isnt a major drama just an oversight, welcome to uni this sort of thing happens all the time.
I had them do it to me in Stat170, MKTG101 ECON110... all high volume courses with multiple lecture times. Do these Psy courses fall under that heading? But yeah, as Begbie said this is just part of uni life, it will get sorted out, and it might happen to you again next year... and the year after... it all works out in the end.

Last edited:
HSC
All right thanks guys for responding! I called them and they told me that I still come to the psy lectures without registering classes but I have to register to the practicals which I already did so it's all good.

xsavagex

HSC
^ So glad you posted this because i have the same prob. wanting to do psy 104 and 105 but no lectures. So we just turn up? good.

and i've enrolled in my pracs so thats fine.

g_dob

HSC
just bring your purse and and wear a nice skirt, itll be fine

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Don't be too worried. They had a larger than expected number of students in PSY104, so that is why things are a bit all over the place (they have recently made a few more tut classes btw). Just go to the lecture regardless until it is sorted out (trust me, psych lectures are never full!).

xsavagex

HSC
i know i can go check this, which i will. but does psy104 have a prac + a tute, or just a prac?

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
i know i can go check this, which i will. but does psy104 have a prac + a tute, or just a prac?
I just checked the timetable. They seem to be calling the tuts 'pracs' (because there aren't any pracs on the timetable for PSY104). In reality, pracs and tuts usually mean the same thing for psychology units anywayz.

HSC
I just checked estudent again and they opened lectures at night at like 6 pm. This time doesn't suit me and last time i call them to go into the morning lecture anyway (before they added the new classes). So you guys still think i should go to the morning one? Will i get in trouble?

Begbie4017

HSC
Go to the morning one if thats what you want to do..it will probably be packed for the first few times, so go early.Numbers dwindle pretty quickly

Depending on the unit, often the first lecture or tute you will get your unit guide.This is important to have.But you can get one from the convenor if you miss out.
At lectures they dont take a roll & they cant tell if you booked through estudent or not.
Make sure you go to the correct tute/pracs, that is when the roll is taken.

The first lecture is important to go to because some units have different website set ups or have special codes to get to their units websites and you may not be able to access ilecture or your lecture slides otherwise.

HSC
Go to the morning one if thats what you want to do..it will probably be packed for the first few times, so go early.Numbers dwindle pretty quickly

Depending on the unit, often the first lecture or tute you will get your unit guide.This is important to have.But you can get one from the convenor if you miss out.
At lectures they dont take a roll & they cant tell if you booked through estudent or not.
Make sure you go to the correct tute/pracs, that is when the roll is taken.

The first lecture is important to go to because some units have different website set ups or have special codes to get to their units websites and you may not be able to access ilecture or your lecture slides otherwise.
all right thanks, i know that I can run to the first lecture really early! =) But...

Do you think i should tell the lecturer before it starts? And is it ok if i don't register any psych lecture classes online? Like will i get in trouble? I been trying to talk the psych department but the guy doesn't seem to know anything and like drunk every time i talk to him. I need just need a personal confirmation because right now the uni is not helping that much!

CieL

HSC
Ok honestly... Uni is really informal and nothing like your high school classes.

You can rock into any class, any time.

Just find the time and room, and sit down.

There's like 400 people in the room and i bet you about 20 of those people are only there because their bf/gf dragged them into class with them.

Begbie4017

HSC
Chillax!!!
You can try telling the lecturer if it makes you feel better but dont be surprised if a tonne of people are saying the same thing and there isnt time..

The lecturer will probably say something during the lecture if everyone has the same problem.
If he/she doesnt, it is probably best to ask your tutor. They will probably have time first tutorial to sort stuff out.

Tonthat

HSC
well it was late round enrollment today and heaps of units were full. I was forced to ditch ISYS123 and pick up Accounting 1A and take up quite a few night classes. No complaints though, it might help with getting a part-time job

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)