What should I do? (1 Viewer)

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
Rude so rude. Don't be a D@ck head to people who wish for an opinion. 'not sure if srs' such quote that can insinuate such horrific meanings. Learn to APPRECIATE the community you live with. Give a reliable answer that can give him some guidance! You're not first material mate.
lel nice rant

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
As HSC is getting closer I'm getting really scared of what ATAR I might get, and how it may affect my future employment. While thinking of my future job, I don't really know what I'm going to do. What course would you recommend that would ensure good employment rates and probably atleast a $100k+ salary? But not requiring a very high ATAR (<95)? I was thinking of going in the IT or business direction, what course do you think I should pursue?
As cliche as it sounds pick something you are good at and enjoy. If you don't enjoy your job, chances are you won't do well in it whilst if you enjoy it, you will work hard and more likely to succeed.
Studying a course you don't enjoy can be quite difficult let alone working in it for the rest of your life. In any field, if you work to the top, you can earn lots of money. So pick something you are good at and enjoy.
I started off with Law when I graduated from HSC. I picked it because I had the ATAR to do it and I certainly don't recommend others do the same

kast

HSC
Uni Grad
Mining/geology is likely to give you a relatively high starting salary and >$100k at some point in your career. "At least" $100k is certainly aiming high in general though... Do you really need that much? Pretty sure it's double the median salary. Study something you enjoy that also has average/reasonable employment prospects, and work your way to the top in that field.

enoilgam

HSC
As HSC is getting closer I'm getting really scared of what ATAR I might get, and how it may affect my future employment. While thinking of my future job, I don't really know what I'm going to do. What course would you recommend that would ensure good employment rates and probably atleast a $100k+ salary? But not requiring a very high ATAR (<95)? I was thinking of going in the IT or business direction, what course do you think I should pursue?
First of all, no course in this day and age can guarantee you a certain salary or even a job. Given the amount of people who have a degree, it's mostly just a checklist item when applying for a employment. Employers across most fields are more interested in what you have done beyond your degree (i.e. work experience, ECs etc) because ultimately that is what will set you apart from most applicants who all have degrees. If you are thinking of heading down the business pathway, then start out with a basic Commerce degree and spend the first year testing out different core subjects to identify which major suits you. Whilst at uni, get involved in clubs, societies or other ECs, whilst trying to obtain employment which closely aligns with your career goal.

One of the biggest mistakes students make with uni is going in with the mentality "I just want the piece of paper" - up until my last year, I had this mentality, but I was lucky enough to find relevant experience which helped me a great deal post-graduation. Had I have kept that mentality, I would have been hard pressed to find any work at all - I would have needed to get lucky or to have found an admin position. So think of uni as being about building a CV, as opposed to getting a piece of paper.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Mining/geology is likely to give you a relatively high starting salary and >$100k at some point in your career. "At least" $100k is certainly aiming high in general though... Do you really need that much? Pretty sure it's double the median salary. Study something you enjoy that also has average/reasonable employment prospects, and work your way to the top in that field.
Pretty much.. Any job that is rural and has a high risk to an individuals health pays handsomely. But 100k first career? Are you the next Warren Buffet?
First of all, no course in this day and age can guarantee you a certain salary or even a job. Given the amount of people who have a degree, it's mostly just a checklist item when applying for a employment. Employers across most fields are more interested in what you have done beyond your degree (i.e. work experience, ECs etc) because ultimately that is what will set you apart from most applicants who all have degrees. If you are thinking of heading down the business pathway, then start out with a basic Commerce degree and spend the first year testing out different core subjects to identify which major suits you. Whilst at uni, get involved in clubs, societies or other ECs, whilst trying to obtain employment which closely aligns with your career goal.

One of the biggest mistakes students make with uni is going in with the mentality "I just want the piece of paper" - up until my last year, I had this mentality, but I was lucky enough to find relevant experience which helped me a great deal post-graduation. Had I have kept that mentality, I would have been hard pressed to find any work at all - I would have needed to get lucky or to have found an admin position. So think of uni as being about building a CV, as opposed to getting a piece of paper.
can't agree more.

Is IT/ business your passion though? Actually had an argument with my friend who is money hungry and i asked him a question, would you rather wake up to a job you loved which payed 40k (assuming it was enough to live a comfortable life) and come home feeling satisfied or would you rather wake up to a job you absolutely dread and come home feeling you've accomplished nothing for 100k.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)