What should I drop (1 Viewer)

dyinginsideeeee

HSC
4 weeks into year 12 and i am drowning in work overload.
I have 13 units which is pretty intensive, i know, but i really wasn't sure what to drop and so i thought that i'd just stay with 13 for term 4, and then decide what to drop. But this is getting increasingly harder.

So with my 13 units, i do;
Biology
Chemistry
Modern History
History Extension
English Advanced
4U Maths

My best subjects in year 11 were history and biology.
I've always been good at maths, but not like amazing. I did pretty good in extension 1 last year (95+), up until the prelims (70); but that test was horribly hard and even the maths genius only got like 80 something. So i've taken MX2 and it's not hard right now, but it's incredibly time consuming with all my other subjects.
History extension is my only major project and not test sorta subject, i also really enjoy it and find it as an interesting task in my free time, so i want to keep it.
I'm kinda really bad at chemistry but i need it as a pre-requisite for medicine, which i want to do

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I have 13 units which is pretty intensive, i know, but i really wasn't sure what to drop and so i thought that i'd just stay with 13 for term 4, and then decide what to drop. But this is getting increasingly harder.

Biology
Chemistry
Modern History
History Extension
English Advanced
4U Maths

I've always been good at maths, but not like amazing. I did pretty good in extension 1 last year (95+), up until the prelims (70); but that test was horribly hard and even the maths genius only got like 80 something. So i've taken MX2 and it's not hard right now, but it's incredibly time consuming with all my other subjects.
History extension is my only major project and not test sorta subject, i also really enjoy it and find it as an interesting task in my free time, so i want to keep it.
I'm kinda really bad at chemistry but i need it as a pre-requisite for medicine, which i want to do
imo 4u is most beneficial for ppl like u, good range but not cracked, i feel ull benefit the most off the scaling so id keep it and the way u talk abt it seems like its just tedious and not something ur forced to which is a great position to be in.

Honestly i think ur fine with 13 units, if u really want to optimise, i would drop Bio and keep his. ext. I was rlly good in IPT in yr 11 but i dropped in yr12 even tho i was topping it cuz i didnt want extra work and i felt like i was gonna do better in my other subjects.

I dont know u at all so im making big assumptions, dont take this to heart, just think abt this. Its better to go consult any good teachers from ur subjects just to get a better idea since they know ur performance and how u are.

dyinginsideeeee

HSC
My bio teacher would never let me drop.
I came 2nd last year, and contemplated dropping because i didn't really enjoy it in year 11 but now in year 12, i'm actually starting to really like it and can actually sit down/study for bio, for fun

It's chemistry that's making me want to kill myself. I've got a tutor now too, and yet i still don't understand anything. It's my worst subject by far, like the only thing i got a B in, but my parents and teachers say that i need to keep it for medicine.

Should i just continue with 13 for this term and drop chem if i do horrible in it? Or would that thwart my med chances.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
Biology is amazing in year 12, so fun

Always was my favourite subject, sure some of the dotpoints suck but thats with every subject u will find stuff u dont like but yeah bio in year 12 is really interesting

if chem makes u wanna KYS well please DROP IT NOW
Chem was the class that pretty much nearly everyone in our year dropped at the start of year 12 or at the end of the first term of year 12 and even 3 people dropped it half way through

TBH I found the first module of year 12 chem easy and fun but as it goes on it just gets so boring and hard especially mod 7 and 8 so I suggest drop it

liamkk112

HSC
My bio teacher would never let me drop.
I came 2nd last year, and contemplated dropping because i didn't really enjoy it in year 11 but now in year 12, i'm actually starting to really like it and can actually sit down/study for bio, for fun

It's chemistry that's making me want to kill myself. I've got a tutor now too, and yet i still don't understand anything. It's my worst subject by far, like the only thing i got a B in, but my parents and teachers say that i need to keep it for medicine.

Should i just continue with 13 for this term and drop chem if i do horrible in it? Or would that thwart my med chances.
if i was u i would drop chem, at least in nsw theres no actual subject requirements only suggested courses, if my source is correct:

obviously i would go to the uni's website that u want to attend and look in more detail but there doesn't seem to be any actual subject requirements that would prevent u from getting an offer to study chemistry.

i was in the same boat as u in yr 11 i absolutely flopped chemistry, i did try but about halfway through the year i simply gave up as i literally had no idea wtf was going on lol pretty sure i got the basic reactions wrong. but if you're struggling with the subject and u have sufficient units i cannot see the reason why u wouldn't drop it, given the lack of pre-requisite subjects as above

roseviolett

HSC
i don't think you should drop biology since it would be helpful for medicine
which universities have you looked at that require chemistry? because i think you'd be able to maybe take bridging courses if you drop it

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
i don't think you should drop biology since it would be helpful for medicine
which universities have you looked at that require chemistry? because i think you'd be able to maybe take bridging courses if you drop it
I'm pretty sure there's no prereq for biology/chem for med. Just focus on maximising your atar in HS.

zahri992

HSC

Biology
Chemistry
Modern History
History Extension
English Advanced
4U Maths

drop chem for sure
you can do a bridging course just focus on getting the atar. your life will be so much easier

C_master

HSC

Biology
Chemistry
Modern History
History Extension
English Advanced
4U Maths

Chems really vital especially if you need it as a pre-requisite for medicine but if you think its dragging you down or you just find it impossible to perform better in then I see no reason for you to drop it - You don't want one problem ruining everything else :>)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)