What subjects are you thinking of dropping next yr? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
Well, it probably depends on what teacher you get and if they make the whole course interesting or not.
But then again, my Extension English teacher is so awesome, but the course bites.
I dunno - my Ext teacher is good, but she sets us a lot of homework - so it sorta takes the fun outta it.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aerath said:
I dunno - my Ext teacher is good, but she sets us a lot of homework - so it sorta takes the fun outta it.
Oh yeah, the homework is a biggie for me. I hate it! But then again, it gives me heaps of practise on my written expression and I guess she's kinda doing the 'gotta be cruel to be kind' thing.

But then again, I'm dropping in Year 12 - so whoop whooop!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Would you drop a subject that you are good at? (like 1st in the year)

I have got a friend in Year 12 right now who dropped Physics even though he came first in it. He was probably guaranteed Band 6 because it is usual for our schools to have about 5-10 people getting Band 6. I don't understand why he dropped it. He probably did it because Physics is the lowest scaling subject for him.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
Would you drop a subject that you are good at? (like 1st in the year)

I have got a friend in Year 12 right now who dropped Physics even though he came first in it. He was probably guaranteed Band 6 because it is usual for our schools to have about 5-10 people getting Band 6. I don't understand why he dropped it. He probably did it because Physics is the lowest scaling subject for him.
Wow, if physics is his lowest scaling subject I don't want to know what he's doing...

But the same situation crossed my sister. She was determined to do 10 Units for the HSC and her choices were to drop Economics or Biology even though she came first in the grade for both subjects. In the end, Economics triumphed because of the scaling.

I guess, in other words, when you get to a situation like this, scaling comes into play.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
foram said:
:eek: what subjects does he do?
like foram said, what subjects does he do?
and which school do you go to?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
:eek: what subjects does he do?
He is doing SOR 1 (he cannot drop it), Chemistry, Economics, English (Advanced), English Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2 and repeating Mathematics Extension 1 (although he already got 47 or 48/50, WTH!)

I go to SPX (St Pius X College). I reckon he will be the Dux of 2008 due to his extreme intelligence with UAI of like 99.95 or 100.

I am basically in the same boat. But for me, I will be dropping the one of the highest scaling subject which is Chemistry (lol).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
.... repeating Mathematics Extension 1 (although he already got 47 or 48/50, WTH!)
Well you did say you would be repeating MX1 if you got <48. :rolleyes:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Well you did say you would be repeating MX1 if you got <48. :rolleyes:
Well. Yeah. But he is different. His weakest subject is maths. So he doesn't need high marks in that to achieve 100 UAI.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Well. Yeah. But he is different. His weakest subject is maths. So he doesn't need high marks in that to achieve 100 UAI.
lol weakest subject = 47 or 48/50
Okay everthing else guaranteed 100%

L

lsam

lyounamu said:
Because I am quite shit at it (excuse my language).
Namu, chem is the easiest subject ever and it has got pretty good scaling. I reckon you can easily pull off band 6 considering that I did it. Chem's band 6 wins over bio's band 6 and band 6 in business.

lisarh

HSC
I'm soooooooooo dropping economics, and most probably ext eng. :)

beve

Jesus
HSC
What should I do?

I now have:

English Extension 1
Mathematics Extension 1
Chemistry
Modern History
Music 1.

I love english extension to bits. So I'm going to take Extension 2. I'm going to drop music; as it scales badly.

However I don't know what to do about Math Extension & History Extension. History is one of my strongest subjects and I'm thinking about doing it. Maths is my weakest. I'm not sure if I want to do either of these extensions because of the rather epic workload they'l bring... but saying that, if I dont do another extension; i'll be left with 10 units after dropping music and maybe math extension.

What should I take on/keep? :S

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
beve said:
What should I do?

I now have:

English Extension 1
Mathematics Extension 1
Chemistry
Modern History
Music 1.

I love english extension to bits. So I'm going to take Extension 2. I'm going to drop music; as it scales badly.

However I don't know what to do about Math Extension & History Extension. History is one of my strongest subjects and I'm thinking about doing it. Maths is my weakest. I'm not sure if I want to do either of these extensions because of the rather epic workload they'l bring... but saying that, if I dont do another extension; i'll be left with 10 units after dropping music and maybe math extension.

What should I take on/keep? :S
You can always do more than 10 Units for the HSC.

But if you were looking to do 10Units, then I suggest dropping History. I know you might like it, but Maths is pretty important and it's a pre-req for lots of things in Uni. But.. I don't know, ultimately, it's your choice and I'm pretty much prejudice in Maths :)

beve

Jesus
HSC
I'll keep 2 unit math for certain but i'm pathetic in extension..

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
lyounamu said:
He is doing SOR 1 (he cannot drop it), Chemistry, Economics, English (Advanced), English Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2 and repeating Mathematics Extension 1 (although he already got 47 or 48/50, WTH!)

I go to SPX (St Pius X College). I reckon he will be the Dux of 2008 due to his extreme intelligence with UAI of like 99.95 or 100.

I am basically in the same boat. But for me, I will be dropping the one of the highest scaling subject which is Chemistry (lol).
lyounamu

wow.....(no sarcasm intended)
can a student actually repeat extension 1 maths? wow 47 or 48/50 and thats his weakest subject..wow:)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dux&src said:
lyounamu

wow.....(no sarcasm intended)
can a student actually repeat extension 1 maths? wow 47 or 48/50 and thats his weakest subject..wow:)
That guy studies like HSC is tomorrow. However, on the other hand, he is the sweetest guy to talk to. He is extremely nice, polite, modest, popular and intelligent. He is repeating because he was already acceleratd in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension1 last year.

If I were in his shoes, I would drop Physics as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)