What techniques are evident in this quote?? (1 Viewer)

Maancis

HSC
I'm using this quote for my english essay; it's one of the best ones i can use to get the theme of rebellion across but i can't figure out what technique to discuss?? Anyone know or have any ideas???

QUOTE: 'To tell the truth, he don't even let on he know the picture is turned off; he puts his cigarette between his teeth and pushes his cap forward in his red hair till he has to lean back to see out from under the brim'

Last edited:

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I'm using this quote for my english essay; it's one of the best ones i can use to get the theme of rebellion across but i can't figure out what technique to discuss?? Anyone know or have any ideas???

'To tell the truth, he don't even let on he know the picture is turned off; he puts his cigarette between his teeth and pushes his cap forward in his red hair till he has to lean back to see out from under the brim'
I can't see a quote but I advise you to not use this in an essay..

Maancis

HSC
The quote is the last line, here,
'To tell the truth, he don't even let on he know the picture is turned off; he puts his cigarette between his teeth and pushes his cap forward in his red hair till he has to lean back to see out from under the brim'

Shuuya

HSC
The quote is the last line, here,
I think BandSixFix meant 'can't see a technique', rather than 'can't see a quote'

WildestDreams

HSC
Is it a positive connotation or a negative one?
What's the tone of the text, this will denote to what mood the composer is trying to create.
Also if you can, try and talk about what it may be foreshadowing.
It also reveals a bit about his personality, talk about characterisation.

Hope this helps :)

Maancis

HSC
Is it a positive connotation or a negative one?
What's the tone of the text, this will denote to what mood the composer is trying to create.
Also if you can, try and talk about what it may be foreshadowing.
It also reveals a bit about his personality, talk about characterisation.

Hope this helps :)
Definitely useful:) thank you

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Sorry I meant technique .. haha thanks Shuuya. But, are you planning to use that in an essay? If you are, maybe cut it down!

Maancis

HSC
Sorry I meant technique .. haha thanks Shuuya. But, are you planning to use that in an essay? If you are, maybe cut it down!
Im planning to put in ...... to cut it down and show only the important parts. I know, i thought it was really long as well, but for the novel it plays a major role in expressing a certain theme and there is no other quote that expresses it as well.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Im planning to put in ...... to cut it down and show only the important parts. I know, i thought it was really long as well, but for the novel it plays a major role in expressing a certain theme and there is no other quote that expresses it as well.
Is this your core text or related? When you cut it down, post it here so we can double check. My English teacher said as a rule of thumb to try and limit quotes to around 5 words or less. But I'm sure all teachers are different.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
English teachers prefer shorter quotes which are relevant so maybe look for a different quote to use.

Maancis

HSC
English teachers prefer shorter quotes which are relevant so maybe look for a different quote to use.
Ok thanks, i'll try to though google right now is useless and i have to scavenge for them myself :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)