What textbooks are good? (1 Viewer)

raspb3rry

♥♥♥
HSC
I need to buy a textbook which has good explanations. Anyone know of any?

HSC
excel!!!! for 2u. thats is. the explanations are so good and clear, although dont rely much on the questions. for 3u. i reccomend cambridge or fitzpatrick

raspb3rry

♥♥♥
HSC
Oh okiz..so out of cambridge and fitzpatrick for 3u, which one better ^^'? I need one that has good explanations and easy to follow, my maths teacher doesnt explain very well, so need to learn from txtbk examples & the one I'm using at school, isn't very good at all~
--

Thanks perfectionist and peppermint_stix, hehe I'll get cambridge denz ^^

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Cambridge...in my opinion..but it doesn't hurt getting both books.

if u are not satisfied with your teacher get a tutor before it's too late.

Originally posted by raspb3rry

Thanks perfectionist
no worries :)

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by raspb3rry
Oh okiz..so out of cambridge and fitzpatrick for 3u, which one better ^^'? I need one that has good explanations and easy to follow, my maths teacher doesnt explain very well, so need to learn from txtbk examples & the one I'm using at school, isn't very good at all~
--

Thanks perfectionist and peppermint_stix, hehe I'll get cambridge denz ^^
Ooh damn... I hated Cambridge for explanations... they make too many mistakes the morons. Fitzpat is really good & so is this other blue & white one... can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
maths in focus...is normally a sh*t textbook but in terms of explanation its tops...but if you're plannign to go out and buya textbook i suggest u get one that has great questions AS WELL AS good explanations...rememebr the key in doign well in maths is practising lots and lots of questions!

why dont u just borrow a textbook from a library? thats what i do coz im too tight to pay! :p :)

Arthur

I find Maths In Focus to have the most simple and clear explanations for each topic, so I think having a copy of this textbook would help a great deal.

I've mainly been using Maths In Focus and Fitzpatrick this year and I feel that should suffice.

I find Cambridge's explanations to be confusing and excessive, so the only reason I'll be using this textbook is for the millions of questions it has to offer.

Last edited:

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
yeah i agree, Focus is pretty straight forward. I'd say get your hands on a couple of books for your reference.

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
Maths In Focus annoys me to no end, but I haven't used any of the other books. I think someone has borrowed them from the library and neglected to return them.
The probability questions all seem to be worded really strangely too, it'd take me a few tries to work out what the question was actually asking for. Maybe I'm just slow. ;)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i think fitz is a good book , then studymate , n coroneos is good 2!!
focus is good 2 start with and as u begin 2 master the topics move onto books with harder questions.
well , i didn't really use cambridge much, so i can't comment abt it!!

HSC
i really hate coroneos...the set out is soooo bad, the explanations are very long winded...and basically it just puts you off maths. oh and did i mention the set out is really baddd 0_0

like what others have said its best if you get your hands on a few and dont just rely on one.

raspb3rry

♥♥♥
HSC
hehe yea, i got two coroneos textbooks (mayb their old or something) it doesn't help much with explanations >.<.

the other 3u class at my school they got maths in focus and they said it was ok. I'll probably get fitzpatric and cambridge, don't think school has these textbooks for me to borrow -____-'

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by peppermint_stix
i really hate coroneos...the set out is soooo bad, the explanations are very long winded...and basically it just puts you off maths. oh and did i mention the set out is really baddd 0_0

I reckon!! :rofl:

J0n

N/A
HSC
At our school we use a book by Couchman - i think the explainations are quite good, although the questions are nothing compared to Fitzpatric.

eeyore

Cambridge is good. It has very thorough explanations, and the questions are graded. ie. starts off with normal questions, then has 'development' and 'extension' i think? or something like that - basically it has questions split into 3 groups starting from easy to hard.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
lol i think every maths textbook has been posted in this thread hahaha

overwhelming

Originally posted by eeyore
Cambridge is good. It has very thorough explanations, and the questions are graded. ie. starts off with normal questions, then has 'development' and 'extension' i think? or something like that - basically it has questions split into 3 groups starting from easy to hard.
Cambridge is scary :|

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by overwhelming
Cambridge is scary :|
yeah, the explanations look complex sometimes (since they try to use the hardest words and stuff :D ), but in the end its a very good book for questions, especially good for those students doing the 4u course!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)