What the heck happened?! (1 Viewer)

Michael01

HSC
N/A
Throughout the year I was well above my cohort in a number of subjects. We do two HSC units in year 11 which is why you'll only see four HSC units in this post. At the end of all assessments my school assessment marks were as follows:

English std: 95, rank 1. (13% above rank 2)
Studies of religion II: 92, rank 1. (15% above rank 2)
Design and technology: 85, rank 2 (1% below rank 1 and 8% above rank 3)
Advanced Mathematics: 60, rank 3 (10% below rank 2 and 12% above rank 4)

Upon receiving my HSC results I was puzzled to see my marks drop so drastically:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450591809.642812.jpg

Teachers marking the cohort leniently hardly explains such a drop especially since the rest of the cohort was so far behind me to begin with which would only entail that I was the only student marked leniently. My English teacher marked the HSC last year so I highly doubt she'd be anything but a credible and honest marker.

My marks in English were only 4% above rank 2 which doesn't make sense either as was similarly the case with religion where I was 2% above rank 2. I read on the website that if a student performs well below what is expected of them in the HSC exam that they'll mark in favour of their internal results but that does not seem to have happened.

Could somebody please explain these results to me? Was there a muck up? Did I perform very badly? Did my cohort bring me down?

Last edited:

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
what rank is your school

Michael01

HSC
N/A
I would assume quite low as I was the highest marked student in a number of subjects when compared to previous marks given in previous HSC years. Is there a way I can check?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
This is why you don't care about your internal assessment marks

Your 2u maths test could literally be: Question 1 what's 3+5, question 2 draw the sine graph

You just did really bad in the HSC exam actual

Michael01

HSC
N/A
So my work throughout the year and the marks I got were entirely worthless and don't play a role in the bigger picture? At the least the marks I got should signify that I was quite a bit ahead of my cohort but that isn't shown at all in my results.

Michael01

HSC
N/A
And yeah mathematics was a seriously weak subject for me. My school has a messed up system in which maths is only run every second year. As such I didn't do any math in grade 11 and was forced to do all of prelim and HSC in a year

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
So my work throughout the year and the marks I got were entirely worthless and don't play a role in the bigger picture? At the least the marks I got should signify that I was quite a bit ahead of my cohort but that isn't shown at all in my results.
Yeah the actual internal raw scores you had are essentially irrelevant.

Michael01

HSC
N/A
Yeah the actual internal raw scores you had are essentially irrelevant.
So even though I could clearly be seen as well ahead of my cohort, I still ended up with marks they had even though I never received anything close to that. I believe bostes is supposed to compensate for underperformance in the final exams.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Without getting into specifics of how HSC marks are moderated and aligned, this is why you have a common exam - the HSC - that everyone does to make sure that the schools who give their students ridiculously easy exams (like your school) can be compared with other schools who may have harder exams

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
So even though I could clearly be seen as well ahead of my cohort, I still ended up with marks they had even though I never received anything close to that. I believe bostes is supposed to compensate for underperformance in the final exams.
No, they don't compensate for underperformance in externals if you do poorly in them. This is why the external HSC Exams are so important. Maybe your school exams were a lot easier than the HSC Exams (which could be a possible reason why you got much lower marks in the HSC Exams than in your school ones)? Like were your Maths papers at school like what Shadowdude described?

Michael01

HSC
N/A
Without getting into specifics of how HSC marks are moderated and aligned, this is why you have a common exam - the HSC - that everyone does to make sure that the schools who give their students ridiculously easy exams (like your school) can be compared with other schools who may have harder exams
Yes yes, I understand that. But even if it was a ridiculously easy exam and everyone else was just struggling with that while I was the only one that found it easy. Would that not mean that there marks would go down significantly too and not just my own. They hardly had any decrease in marks whereas I dropped 17%.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Throughout the year I was well above my cohort in a number of subjects. We do two HSC units in year 11 which is why you'll only see four HSC units in this post. At the end of all assessments my school assessment marks were as follows:

English std: 95, rank 1. (13% above rank 2)
Studies of religion II: 92, rank 1. (15% above rank 2)
Design and technology: 85, rank 2 (1% below rank 1 and 8% above rank 3)
Advanced Mathematics: 60, rank 3 (10% below rank 2 and 12% above rank 4)

Upon receiving my HSC results I was puzzled to see my marks drop so drastically:

View attachment 32743

Teachers marking the cohort leniently hardly explains such a drop especially since the rest of the cohort was so far behind me to begin with which would only entail that I was the only student marked leniently. My English teacher marked the HSC last year so I highly doubt she'd be anything but a credible and honest marker.

My marks in English were only 4% above rank 2 which doesn't make sense either as was similarly the case with religion where I was 2% above rank 2. I read on the website that if a student performs well below what is expected of them in the HSC exam that they'll mark in favour of their internal results but that does not seem to have happened.

Could somebody please explain these results to me? Was there a muck up? Did I perform very badly? Did my cohort bring me down?
https://bettereducation.com.au/Results/Hsc.aspx

Look at 2015

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes yes, I understand that. But even if it was a ridiculously easy exam and everyone else was just struggling with that while I was the only one that found it easy. Would that not mean that there marks would go down significantly too and not just my own. They hardly had any decrease in marks whereas I dropped 17%.
and you know that how?

If true, you'll see that their "external mark", i.e. how they did in the HSC exam itself, is a lot higher than yours - so you bombed out, and they didn't

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
nah but srs. u bombed the hsc. no other explanation to it really

Michael01

HSC
N/A
and you know that how?

If true, you'll see that their "external mark", i.e. how they did in the HSC exam itself, is a lot higher than yours - so you bombed out, and they didn't
I spoke to the rank 2 and rank 5. She got 74 for english and he got 72.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)