What the heck is HECS-HELP??? (1 Viewer)

epsilon

HSC
OK, while registering for UTS's B. Business, I came across this question: "Are you a Pre-2005 student?" Which I obviously am not, since I'm ENROLLING into it right now! I've also noticed that the HECS booklet which came with my offer letter also talks a lot about "Pre-2005 students" and how they are eligible to get HECS-HELP. What's the difference between HECS-HELP and Commenwealth-support (HECS) places?

My question is this: I'm an Australian Permanent Resident, and I'm obviously NOT a "Pre-2005 student". From what I've read in that booklet, I would have to pay my fees up front and I'm not eligible for HECS-HELP. Wtf!!! Is this true? I am only eligible to get my Aussie citizenship in July this year. Anybody else in the same position as me?

epsilon

HSC
Does it matter? Malaysia. Are Commonwealth-suported (or HECS places, as it was formerly called) places and HECS-HELP the same thing, or is HECS-HELP some kind of additional financial assistance in addition to HECS places? I'm very confused right now...

Last edited:

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
if you read more slowly: http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Quickfind/PayingForYourStudiesHELPLoans/HECSHELP.htm

you will see it says:

You are eligible for HECS-HELP if you are a Commonwealth supported student and:
an Australian citizen, or
the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa.

a humanitarian visa could be the same as permanant residency, not sure.

if you scroll down, it has a form for those enrolling after 1st jan. 2005.

HECS and HECS-HELP would be different things i would imagine in some other way.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Panda Bear said:
a humanitarian visa could be the same as permanant residency, not sure.
No its not. Being Malaysian i doubt you have a humanitarian visa. By my understanding, you will have to pay your HECS up-front until you are an Australian citizen.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Btw, HECS-HELP is the student loan you take out, something you cannot access if you are not an AUstralian citizen.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
if you plan to pay up-front and save 20% then yes.

im a poor bogan so ill be taking a loan. ie. HECS-HELP

epsilon

HSC
Panda Bear said:
You are eligible for HECS-HELP if you are a Commonwealth supported student and:
an Australian citizen, or
the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa.
Like absolution* said, I'm doubt my PR is the 'Humanitarian' kind. I didn't escape from a war or anything! My dad migrated here under the 'Skills-based' PR.

absolution*, if you read that booklet carefully, in the introductions, it stated that what's formerly known as 'HECS-places' is now known as 'Commenwealth-supported places'. Nothing said about HECS-HELP there. HECS-HELP only appears in the middle of the booklet.

Btw, I'm not a full-fee student, nor am I an international student. The offer that I got was for a 'HECS-place'. I'm already a Permanenr Resident of Australia, just not a 'Humanitarian' one. I will become an Aussie citizen in around July (because I need to wait for 2 years before I can become a citizen). Where does that leave me?

No pre-UTS students for 2005 in the same position as me here?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Where does it leave you?
You have to pay up front until you are an Australian citizen. Its simple. When you get Aust. citizenship then you can get a loan. You are still getting HECS. Just not HECS-HELP which is the loan.

epsilon

HSC
I thought HECS itself is a loan. So is HECS-HELP an additional loan to HECS?

CrashOveride

HSC
Ok without reading much and posting in the wrong uni forum...i too thought HECS itself was a loan so like err why wud u need to get another loan on top of that ??

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
God damn it. HECS-HELP is the loan that you take out in order to pay your HECS fees.
The "L" in "HELP" stands for loan.

You cannot get HECS-HELP if you are not an Australian citizen, therefore you must pay your HECS fees upfront.

Its not rocket science.

Last edited:

epsilon

HSC
mr EaZy said:
hmmmmm, i dunno much

u get a loan and get a second loan to pay off the first loan. :)
Precisely! Doesn't make much sense when you think about it, huh? :)

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
HAHA

yeah absolution has got it right.

you have to pay your fees up front until you get your citizenship.

there's no point in arguing "but im this.. or but im that", coz it clearly states that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)