What to be aware of in Preliminary Geography? (1 Viewer)

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
Hello Geography students,
Can somebody give me a brief overview of the preliminary Geography course?
Also, how do you find the subject? Are there any Good/Bad sides of the syllabus?

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
Most of it's fairly easy. Just pay attention in class and learn how to answer every type of skills question so that you don't have to worry about that in year 12.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
From memory, the Prelim course is split up between Physical and Human Geography with a SGP to accompany. The SGP is kind of like a mini-thesis which you can do on anything Geography related provided you are able to collect primary data. The content is quite broad but will put you in good stead for the HSC course which uses the Prelim content as a foundation for further analysis.

Both the Prelim and HSC courses for Geography are a farcry from the abomination which is the Year 9 & 10 courses. I've had teachers admit that the School Cert. and its content have put off students from undertaking Geography but I assure you that it is an engaging subject.

lath

HSC
The topics in prelim geo were biophysical interactions (atmosphere, biosphere, hydrosphere + lithosphere), cultural integration, political geography and development geo. TBH i found biophysical interactions and development geo boring...but i thought that cultural integration was pretty fun. And as mentioned before, you have to do a Senior Geo Project (SGP). Some schools let you choose what you want to do and some tell you what to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)