What to do at home (1 Viewer)

latsy789

HSC
Hi,
So I'm wondering what we do at home in terms of studying/revising when exams aren't coming up anytime soon? For The sciences I think its pretty easy to just write notes to the syllabus and then just test my self once a week. With english just do some extra comprehension/start a work bank? For math, just do some practise question and follow up on some things I didn't understand from that week? But for Business Studies, Geography and Modern History especially I'm really unsure? Should I just summarise the notes I wrote off the board that day?
Thanks,
Will

just_a_lamb

HSC
For business studies, go to sydney Morning Herald to look for some useful articles to support your case studies in the future.
For geography, pay attention to the media. That's nothing much you can do tbh.

astroman

HSC
For business studies, go to sydney Morning Herald to look for some useful articles to support your case studies in the future.
Wouldn't advise getting case study info this early on, u only need case studies for trials and that is late in the year, also info from this year will be outdated by new info in a year's time.

just_a_lamb

HSC
Wouldn't advise getting case study info this early on, u only need case studies for trials and that is late in the year, also info from this year will be outdated by new info in a year's time.
I'll just save my articles in google drive, as the (business)concepts is still the same. Just in case your teacher wants an article from a specific dot-point, you can print your articles straight away.

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
I find reading ahead of class by one lesson really helps me focus in class. Rather than copying stuff down, just read someone else's notes so when you actually are in class, you understand what the hell is going on. And it doesn't even take much time to read ahead!

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I never did this LOL. I just got the Apple booklet and collected some numbers and figures and facts from like 2013 and just bullshitted them in most, if not, every essay.

latsy789

HSC
So should I be writing any extra notes besides what I write in class for these 3 subjects? And how should I revise for them?

sourmilk

HSC
My business teacher heavily emphasised that we should remember the syllabus, and that remembering the syllabus off by heart could secure us at 50% in the exam.
The only thing I've remembered is PEGS so far tho

MilkyCat_

HSC
Hi,
So I'm wondering what we do at home in terms of studying/revising when exams aren't coming up anytime soon? For The sciences I think its pretty easy to just write notes to the syllabus and then just test my self once a week. With english just do some extra comprehension/start a work bank? For math, just do some practise question and follow up on some things I didn't understand from that week? But for Business Studies, Geography and Modern History especially I'm really unsure? Should I just summarise the notes I wrote off the board that day?
Thanks,
Will
you should browse memes

blackbird_14

HSC
you should browse memes
Join the HSC Discussion Group on Facebook- plenty of memes and a few resources and notes for subjects.
Or join the HSC 2016 Skype group (message AppleTea) for a source of procrastination and a social (ish) life.

But for geography, it doesn't hurt to read ahead or do some broad research about whatever you're doing eg. Viticulture issues, Great Barrier Reef, Sydney as a urban place etc.

latsy789

HSC
Alright, So is just writing to the syllabus good enough for each subject or should I be doing more? I'll be writing enough until I understand the syllabus point well.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Alright, So is just writing to the syllabus good enough for each subject or should I be doing more? I'll be writing enough until I understand the syllabus point well.
No. It is not good enough. You should know what content is beneath each corresponding dotpoint to make sure you're don't have gaps in your knowledge

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Do practice questions, and hand them into your teachers to mark.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
But for periods when there aren't exams, I would say revising the syllabus, updating your notes, reading ahead or wide reading, and practising questions related to whichever dot points you have learnt in class and giving them to teachers for feedback. That's what I try to organise. But I feel like I always have exams clustered everywhere and I have to study way before.

latsy789

HSC
Alright, so I'm two weeks in and I'm sticking to my study plan well. First third of night homework, second third of night syllabus points, last third of night revising syllabus points from a few days ago. However I have started the revising yet as I haven't been able to feel in many points due to it being so early in the year but now I'm getting stressed because I'm only doing like 1 1/2 hours for the past 3 nights. I'm spending as much time thinking about answers as I can but its still only an hour and a half. Do you think this is ok for the first few weeks of Year 12?

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
I can only really give you advice on modern specifically, but this first part applies to all subjects.... Make your notes now! Every day or once a week, whatever, use the syllabus as a guideline and start your summaries. Trust me, when trials roll around you're gonna be so grateful you're not wasting precious days/weeks making up notes you could've done during assignment-light periods of the year.
Onto modern, other than summaries there isn't much you can do at this point. With our class, each topic's assignment was an essay/speech that was basically a rough, broad prediction of what you'll be asked in the HSC (other than WWI, that's purely studying summaries and sources). I recommend that as you complete each assignment throughout next year, memorise it and just practice rewriting it faster and faster with quotes and stuff, as you would for English - and obviously account for being able to adapt it to suit any possible question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)