What to do if a 'belonging' essay question is specific? (1 Viewer)

Lolzipops

HSC
Hey all.
So, in a week's time my trials are beginning and I'm still worried about the concept of belonging, in particular the essay. At the moment I've been writing a general essay on As You Like It + one related text on how belonging is created through a sense of place, connections to other people, and through oneself. However, although this provides me with a range of options to discuss in my essay if it is a broad question, what happens if the question is more specific? For example, 2011's HSC question:
'Explore how perceptions of belonging and not belonging can be influenced by connections to places.In your response, refer to your prescribed text and at least ONE other related text of your own choosing.'

In a specific question like this could you argue it like a modern history essay? e.g. they can be influenced by connections to places, but also connections to other people, and the community (although keep tying the end of each paragraph back to place and how these are less effective/more effective in influencing). Or do you have to base your whole essay around whatever the specific topic is? Because if so, I'm terrified that I'm not going to have enough information on just one topic!

Thanks guys, I hope this makes sense.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey all.
So, in a week's time my trials are beginning and I'm still worried about the concept of belonging, in particular the essay. At the moment I've been writing a general essay on As You Like It + one related text on how belonging is created through a sense of place, connections to other people, and through oneself. However, although this provides me with a range of options to discuss in my essay if it is a broad question, what happens if the question is more specific? For example, 2011's HSC question:
'Explore how perceptions of belonging and not belonging can be influenced by connections to places.In your response, refer to your prescribed text and at least ONE other related text of your own choosing.'

In a specific question like this could you argue it like a modern history essay? e.g. they can be influenced by connections to places, but also connections to other people, and the community (although keep tying the end of each paragraph back to place and how these are less effective/more effective in influencing). Or do you have to base your whole essay around whatever the specific topic is? Because if so, I'm terrified that I'm not going to have enough information on just one topic!

Thanks guys, I hope this makes sense.
This is a very interesting point, I think it could be possible but you should confirm this with your English Teacher or who ever is marking the trials.

But from my own honest opinion, as long as it relates to the question and you explain it well, whether you agree or disagree with the question it should work out well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)