• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What to do when you are going to fail your HSC? Can you still go to UNI? (1 Viewer)

amunce

HSC
Hey, I am not expecting a great UAI.. but i still want to know.. can I get into a course like Law... or B Sci in IT/B Law...
And what if I want to take a year or two off to work, and live a little..
Is the UAI that i get this year valid to re-apply the following year?
How else can you apply to a Uni course other than a student with UAI?>

amunce

HSC
hmm i just found this handy thread:
http://community.boredofstudies.org...-pathways-your-desired-university-degree.html

argh its so stressful...
i hate the system =[

i was classified 99th percentile when doing an IQ test during my ADD testing.
(I have mild ADD)
So i have been accepted to do the "UniTest" that Maquarie offers..
does anyone know how Uni test works & if many people get into courses through it...?

cheers

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
You won't get into any law degree if you fail the HSC - unless you go to tafe or take an alternative pathway. But no one fails really - you just dont get into uni straight away.

You can take a gap year - this information is all available on the uac site.

No offence but this is a stupid thread.

Good luck :D

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
tanjin said:
You won't get into any law degree if you fail the HSC - unless you go to tafe or take an alternative pathway. But no one fails really - you just dont get into uni straight away.

You can take a gap year - this information is all available on the uac site.

No offence but this is a stupid thread.

Good luck :D
No body fails the hsc lol. Hsc gives a uai at the end that basically reveals how well you did compared to others in year 12 completeing the hsc.
For double degrees and law it is not east getting into if you are below the uai, espcecially if your like 5 or more uais below.

RTTTYTR

HSC
If you go and do a different degree (related to law or IT) or go to TAFE and do related qualifications, then assuming you do well enough (Probably Credit or higher for TAFE) and a GPA of 5.5/7 or higher then you will probably be able to transfer. Or you could go to a uni with a lower UAI to do a similar course and transfer at the end of the first year.

Of course there is also mature entry.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Hakz said:
No body fails the hsc lol. Hsc gives a uai at the end that basically reveals how well you did compared to others in year 12 completeing the hsc.
For double degrees and law it is not east getting into if you are below the uai, espcecially if your like 5 or more uais below.
LOL. It is VERY hard to FAIL. :D

RTTTYTR

HSC
tanjin said:
LOL. It is VERY hard to FAIL. :D
First one would have to define what one means by 'fail'.

Does fail mean less than 50?
Does it mean a mystery mark?
Does it mean less than expected?
Does it mean less than the desired course cut-off?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
RTTTYTR said:
First one would have to define what one means by 'fail'.

Does fail mean less than 50?
Does it mean a mystery mark?
Does it mean less than expected?
Does it mean less than the desired course cut-off?
A pass is 30+

Simple as that. The only way a person could possibly get less than 30 is if they didnt even attempt the questions and there internals were in the shit house.

RTTTYTR

HSC
tanjin said:
A pass is 30+

Simple as that. The only way a person could possibly get less than 30 is if they didnt even attempt the questions and there internals were in the shit house.
I know people who got mystery marks, and yes they didn't care one iota about school.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
i agree... assuming that fail meaning less than 50%?
Nope, i mean BOS fail of less than 30. :)

Am i making any sense today? :confused:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
amunce said:
Hey, I am not expecting a great UAI.. but i still want to know.. can I get into a course like Law... or B Sci in IT/B Law...
And what if I want to take a year or two off to work, and live a little..
Is the UAI that i get this year valid to re-apply the following year?
How else can you apply to a Uni course other than a student with UAI?>
It really depends on where you want to study. Law courses in particular have monster UAIs in city regions due to massive demand, so beware. If you want to take time off, you can nominate to defer your studies once you are accepted into a course, and your UAI will be vaild for several years after you finish year twelve. However, you'll have to meed the required UAI for the year that you enter the university course, not the year you left school (ie if the UAI goes up five points while you take time off, you'll need to be sure you can still make it). Alos bear in mind that the UAI given is the lowest UAI that was accepted into the course this year and the UAIs for 2008 are a projection of what they expect the UAI to be. If you miss out by a few points, it's still worth applying to courses as you might get in at the end as universities usually like to meet their quota for students. Don't be afraid to apply to univesities that aren't in the city region; there's no real difference between metro unis such as Sydney and country ones like UNE and (to a lesser extent) Newcastle. The massive gaps in UAI are usually attributed to demand for courses; there are four million people in the Greater Sydney Metropolitan Region alone and most of the students in that region want to go to Sydney universities. Believe me, you're probably better off considering a country uni like UNE instead of a Sydney one; UNE has much smaller class sizes than Sydney universities do, which means you get more face-to-face time with lecturers, and there's actually a social scene on-campus, unlike Sydney.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)