• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What to do with 12 units? (advice please?) (1 Viewer)

kusodesu

HSC
Currently I'm in yr12, and seeing as only 10units count to my ATAR, should I get rid of 2 units?

I do Adv. English, 4U maths, biology, legal studies and pd/h/pe and I want to drop one of bio/legal/pd. They're all pretty much at the same level (average), but have alot of content which is why i want to drop a subject.

taking in scaling and everything.. any advice?

kbsb

HSC
Currently I'm in yr12, and seeing as only 10units count to my ATAR, should I get rid of 2 units?

I do Adv. English, 4U maths, biology, legal studies and pd/h/pe and I want to drop one of bio/legal/pd. They're all pretty much at the same level (average), but have alot of content which is why i want to drop a subject.

Because all of bio, legal and pdhpe require a lot of memorising...that cant be the influencing factor....however, in terms of scaling they are all 'meh', but pdhpe scales SHITHOUSE if u do average...i mean if u do well anything scales in your favour...so if ur performing the same in all then i suggest dropping pe....HOWEVER..im not sure but it sounds like pe and bio overlap a bit...so they may compliment each other quite well....in the end its up to you and depends on what u want to do at uni etc.......

but if i were u id still drop pe.....imo legal is interesting even though i dont do it:)

kusodesu

HSC
yea I heard alot of negative stuff about pd scaling.. the first pd task wasnt great, only got average and it was multiple choice.. then again bio wasnt that great either, worth about 30% and i just got below average.

so i'm guessing its a toss up between bio and pd

would going to a selective school affect anything?

Last edited:

kusodesu

HSC
yea well bio scales better than pd, but pd is somewhat easier than bio..

how out curiosity, which one scales best out of legal, pd and bio?

still want some advice on bio and pd >< really dont want to do more stuff than i need to, esp when there's so much in pd and legal

procrastinatorr

HSC
So your doing bio/legal/pd, well I do PD and it's fine, just as long as you committ yourself to the work. The content is really broad but I in my opinion, if you enjoy it more than the other two than keep it.

I also do bio but not legal, I dropped it during term 4, Biology is good

But if you really don;t know what to do I consider you

-weigh out the pro's and con's which one do you like better
- acheiving high marks in which sub
- your career (future)

kusodesu

HSC
the thing is, i don't know what i want to do with my career.. lol but i dont think pd/h/pe is a prerequisite to anything.. i think

hm. still between bio and pd

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you want to consider prerequisite content as a discriminator for subject choices, it should be as low on the list as possible. There are options for bridging courses. :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
yea well bio scales better than pd, but pd is somewhat easier than bio..

how out curiosity, which one scales best out of legal, pd and bio?

still want some advice on bio and pd >< really dont want to do more stuff than i need to, esp when there's so much in pd and legal
Scaling wise, Bio > Legal > PE.

Since you're doing average in them all, i'd suggest you drop PE. It scales horridly compared to the other 2 (and is in fact capped). But if you like it more than bio, keep it and consider dropping bio/legal :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
2009 scaling:

Legal - 25.4
Bio - 26.8
PDHPE - 23.3

That is average scaled mark. So obviously Bio scales the best.

I would say to the OP, if you enjoy all your subjects, keep them. If you feel you are wasting your time there, then is the time to drop

proletariat

HSC
I'd drop legal. Bio and PE will work together whilst legal will not contribute to bio, or PE.

If you end up wanting to go into Law or something, you've always got bridging courses.

kusodesu

HSC
thanks for the replies everyone! really appreciate it :)

well i kinda feel.. neutral about all of 3 of the subjects. i dont hate them, yet i dont really love them either if that makes sense. im somewhat assuming that if i work hard on a subject, then i could do well, which is why i want to kick something out so that i could concentrate more on the other 2 subjects

i really have no idea what i want to do.. perhaps something in the maths area.. (is maths usually listed under the science topics in uni? it doesnt have a section to itself :S )

hm most are on dropping pd..

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
With that, I'd say keep it for now - as you don't really hate a subject.

Maths is usually combined with sciences at uni.

ilikebeeef

HSC

Keep them unless you hate one of them.

ValentinesM

HSC
keep the subjects until you've done some assessments and perhaps then you'll get a better idea of which one you find more appealing, easier and and which one allows you to maximise your HSC potentials. good luck =]

procrastinatorr

HSC
PLEASE don't worry about scaling.. EVERYONE thinks that it is almost impossible to get a band 6 in standard english but a few of my friends proved everyone wrong and got 98.9, he goes to CVHS awesome yeh? in the end, the most important thing is to try your best, put in all you got and you will reap the rewards in the end.

Same as with PD, statistics have shown shit scaling but it's still offered in ruse, people still get band 6's in fact a lot get it.

I think the main concern for you is that you find it hard to balance, well i do too and i'm working on it. PD is good :) and keep 12 units it's more safe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)