What to drop? (1 Viewer)

J280

HSC
Hi guys :)
I'll be doing the following subjects for Year 12:
English Advanced, 4U Maths, Business, D&T, Chem and Geo.
TBH I'm sure that I wanna keep the first 4 subjects but I'm not sure as to whether to drop Chem or Geo (my school is kinda forcing us to do 12 units for a portion of year 12). In Chemistry I'm getting really bad marks and ranks but I'm willing to spend time to improve and I like the subject, whereas in Geo I'm getting pretty good marks but I dont feel that I like the subject anymore :/ so does Year 12 Chemistry get much much harder? is it possible that I can catch up? what areas should I work on the most over the holidays?

Thanks

Axio

=o
HSC
TBH I'm sure that I wanna keep the first 4 subjects but I'm not sure as to whether to drop Chem or Geo (my school is kinda forcing us to do 12 units for a portion of year 12). In Chemistry I'm getting really bad marks and ranks but I'm willing to spend time to improve and I like the subject, whereas in Geo I'm getting pretty good marks but I dont feel that I like the subject anymore :/ 1. so does Year 12 Chemistry get much much harder? 2. is it possible that I can catch up? 3. what areas should I work on the most over the holidays?

Thanks
1. Apparently it is easier because it is more about applications rather than new concepts
2. Yes
3. Probably don't need to catch up

If you think that you'll enjoy chem more, do chem

Mrmellow

HSC
Man, in a very similar situation. But, I don't particularly want to drop chem coz it is recommended for med

J280

HSC
1. Apparently it is easier because it is more about applications rather than new concepts
2. Yes
3. Probably don't need to catch up

If you think that you'll enjoy chem more, do chem
Thanks, so there isn't any assumed knowledge from Y11?

J280

HSC
Man, in a very similar situation. But, I don't particularly want to drop chem coz it is recommended for med
I understand... sad but we gotta deal with it somehow i guess :(

Axio

=o
HSC
Thanks, so there isn't any assumed knowledge from Y11?
Main things to make sure that you understand (or at least what I think):

- Mole calculations
- Chemical equations (balancing and common ones, eg. Acid + Metal -> Metal Salt + Hydrogen Gas)
- Bonding
- Basic trends of the Periodic Table
- Solubility
- q = mCdeltaT

J280

HSC
Main things to make sure that you understand (or at least what I think):

- Mole calculations
- Chemical equations (balancing and common ones, eg. Acid + Metal -> Metal Salt + Hydrogen Gas)
- Bonding
- Basic trends of the Periodic Table
- Solubility
- q = mCdeltaT
I see, shouldn't be too bad then.
Thanks guys :)

lpodtouch

HSC
TBH I'm sure that I wanna keep the first 4 subjects but I'm not sure as to whether to drop Chem or Geo (my school is kinda forcing us to do 12 units for a portion of year 12). In Chemistry I'm getting really bad marks and ranks but I'm willing to spend time to improve and I like the subject, whereas in Geo I'm getting pretty good marks but I dont feel that I like the subject anymore :/ so does Year 12 Chemistry get much much harder? is it possible that I can catch up? what areas should I work on the most over the holidays?

Thanks
If I were in your circumstance, I would probably drop geography - but then again during junior school, I was an abomination to social science ahaha.

Over the holidays you could easily catch up on the significant aspects of chemistry that accumulate throughout the Year 12 course.
From what I've heard, the important features are:
- Trends in the Periodic Table
- Chemical equations (balancing, etc.)
- Types of bonding in correlation with their physical properties
- Solubility Table (very important! It MUST be memorised)
- The Mole Concept
- Calculating Enthalpy Change, Molar Heat of Combustion, etc.
- Naming/identifying/drawing hydrocarbons - this is interpolated throughout the Production of Materials module

There is however a vast emphasis on exam technique in chemistry given the stringency of HSC marking standards.

Last edited:

photastic

HSC
If I were in your circumstance, I would probably drop geography - but then again during junior school, I was an abomination to social science ahaha.

Over the holidays you could easily catch up on the significant aspects of chemistry that accumulate throughout the Year 12 course.
- The Mole Concept
- Naming/identifying/drawing hydrocarbons - this is interpolated throughout the Production of Materials module

There is however a vast emphasis on exam technique however in chemistry given the stringency of HSC marking standards.
For the trends, it's only for one dot point, the rest is all good.

J280

HSC

- The Mole Concept

There is however a vast emphasis on exam technique in chemistry given the stringency of HSC marking standards.
Thanks for the detailed answer :) I'll be keeping chem as my likely 2 unit backup I guess haha

missawesome

HSC
I personally would keep Chem, especially since you enjoy the subject as well . You can always improve by doing revision, doing past papers and I enjoyed it a lot more than Year 11 Chemistry but maybe that's just me. and it scales higher too ;)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Consider what you are planning to do after school. If its science-related, perhaps consider keeping Chemistry for now, dropping it if it gets too hard and then continue with a bridging course. If you like Chemistry that's one good thing as so many people who don't do well in Chemistry are demotivated and end up totally hating the subject.
Keep the two subjects for now and see how you go, by second term year 12 you might not know what your best subject is but you'll probably know what your worst subject is. Consider doing some early study or revision this holidays and christmas holidays. If you ace geography, it will scale better then Chem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)