What to take to uni on the first day (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
kow_dude said:
Are you allowed to exit in the middle of a lecture?
You can, although it is kinda frowned upon by the lecturers (its seen as the ultimate act of rudeness).
If it is a 2 hr lecture, most lecturers will have a break, breaking it into two halves, so its ok to leave then.
But really, if you can only stay for half of a 1 hr lec, why bother going?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think most people who has experienced uni would agree with me here:

Week 1-3: "OMG UNI is SOOO easy, there's NOTHING to do! No assignments, No homework, the course material is SO easy! gonna get HD for sure."

Week 4-7: "OMG WHAT IS HAPPENING??! Why all of the sudden we have so much to learn and revise?? argh...haven't done my readings for the past 2 weeks. ARGH! Mid-semester exams coming! oh and need to do some research for upcoming assignments/reports"

Thank god for the mid-semester break to catch up on a bit of work. but bludged 90% of the the break and still behind!

Week 8-12: "^%#$##@$^% Need to finish multiple assignments this week. CRAP! did poorly in the mid-semester tests, need to do well! NO time to do readings at all! never mind, i'll have to use the cramming method to prepare for upcoming exams!"

Week 13 to 14 (for some): "ARGHHHH Exams COMING! *dead* Fail in XXXX1YYY for sure! noooooo....need to cram harder! CRAM! STUPID BRAIN! DAMMIT! I am SO WORRIED! I just need 50! Gimmmeee!" *sniffs*

There is a typical semester of a uni student :D

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i just had not even a taste of uni today with the bridging course and i am exhausted. It wasnt even that strenuous(sp). just a long day with new content.
ps the lecture room was freezing

mattyg87

HSC
lol i love the air conds in the lecture rooms. i got bored at AAS and decided to look up at all the ducted vents and there were heaps of them!

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
sleeping bag or some sheets

or a nintendo DS or PSP = )

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
elizabethy said:
yeh u can, BUT some lecturers mite get annoyed n start screaming.... :mad:
mine dont, this one lecturer, every time someone leaves, he shines his laser pointer in their bac and says "DIE you"

D.Larie

"DIE you"

That's pretty cute. :rolleyes:

I was so excited about highschool...I'm feeling that excitement again for Uni.

Umm...is there are limit on assignments that they can give you?
Also, when a lecture finishes, does the lecturer immediately leave straight away...or do they always ask if there are any questions?
I guess that depends on the teacher huh?
Is Uni so impersonal that teachers don't really get to know students?

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
D.Larie said:
"DIE you"
Umm...is there are limit on assignments that they can give you?
Also, when a lecture finishes, does the lecturer immediately leave straight away...or do they always ask if there are any questions?
I guess that depends on the teacher huh?
Is Uni so impersonal that teachers don't really get to know students?
Teachers - go to school and create a good relationship with the student
Lecturers - go to uni, and if you approach a meany lecturer, u get this "what do u want now?"

But, assignments are given out in your tutorials / prac classes. Lectures, they hand out lecture notes and read them. Thats all.

Assignments depends on the UNI you go to.

Plus, most students leave the lectures before it ends = )

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but bring a map of the campus so you won't be late to all your classes!

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
What's this about uni being harder than the HSC? Are you all on drugs or something?

Uni is about ten times easier, because you're there. HSC was so stressful (to some) because it was how you'd get into uni. Now you're there you only need to keep minimum rate of progress. UAI also means nothing at uni. You can get a 50 UAI and come up with HDs at uni. So don't think if you get 9x10^1000 UAI uni will be easy.

On your first day, make sure you can hold all the subject outlines. :) Hell, do so during the first week. Books/pens are also a necessity.

Oh, and drop any pretentious arsehole attitude you may have acquired from high school or whatever, not the nicest way to make friends. :)

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
mattyg87 said:
I seriously havent used a pen since the HSC, not including enrolment day lol. im going to be struggling in the first few lectures.
LOL same. during enrolment and filling out forms, felt seriously weird since i haven't used a pen to scribble heaps of stuff down in a long time. might have to tape-record lecs instead..

craz

HSC
The HSC is so much harder than uni. At my uni I feel better because everybody knows me by name, lecturers/tutors/course coordinators/office people. It seems weird but it makes me feel more comfortable and relaxed. My unit work requires less textbooks and less work. I have plenty of time to look up in the ceiling or make fun at mylecturer counting the amount of time she says hmmm..... First day of uni - i had no idea what to bring. BUT my suggestion now im a second year is pen and a notebook. Laptops i find are not the best tool to remember stuff with and yes tapes are an interesting way although it would drive me nuts to hear a lecture twice!!!!

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
Annegelic said:
LOL same. during enrolment and filling out forms, felt seriously weird since i haven't used a pen to scribble heaps of stuff down in a long time. might have to tape-record lecs instead..
SAME! i was filling out forms for uni and i couldnt even write properly! Half my writing was allover the place! I usually type up notes and reminders and stuff on my computer of fone but now i'm starting to write on paper to get my hands back to the writing mood!

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
i found a banana was an essential piece of equipment... good for mission impossible scenes in the lecture theatre...

depending on the course though.. a sleeping bag and pillow may come in handy... a teddy if youre that way inclined...

craz

HSC
aLeeOh! said:
are we even allowed to tape record lectures? i thought it went agaist "copyright" rules or somehting
At uni, what you have to worry about is all the stuff about plaguarism. There's no copyright laws. You're free to tape your lecturers.

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
i dont mean to sound all childish but im sorta childish. so do all the students at uni just concentrate and study and learn stuff (i know that is the point of uni) or is it a bit like highschool. like also having a bit of fun inclass with your friends whilst learning at the same time.

i was excited about going to uni and this thread is beginning to stress me out. like uni is harder than the hsc. but the thing is uni takes at least 3yrs, wouldnt u go crazy at the end. imagine doing the HSC for at least 3 yrs (but harder).

and thanks to all the uni students for answering all our questions.

mz_200sx

craz said:
At uni, what you have to worry about is all the stuff about plaguarism. There's no copyright laws. You're free to tape your lecturers.

shit....i suck at not plagarising.......everything in HSC was plagarised for me haha
how can we not plagarise......like i cant put things into my own words it just sounds shit...........how do u intellegent uni students not plagarise?!

HerO

Banned
69 Penis Avenue, Dickton Pussyville 6969.
HSC
mz_200sx said:
shit....i suck at not plagarising.......everything in HSC was plagarised for me haha
how can we not plagarise......like i cant put things into my own words it just sounds shit...........how do u intellegent uni students not plagarise?!
Well Uni students basically get away with plagiarism cuz u can use what is known as "referencing". That way if u use quotes and materials from other sources, u basically add a reference at the end of a sentence or wateva to tell the marker where u got that source from.

It gets confusing at times though cuz if ur not familiar with the system then u may not know where to reference and where u don't have to. I sorta had a problem with dis and one of my tutors said it's not uncommon to have references at the end of every sentence and i'm sorta like ummm wtf, that's just plagiarising aint it. But as long as u put it in ur own words then u should be fine. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)