what TYPE of school do u go to? (1 Viewer)

what TYPE of school do you go to??

• Total voters

Splinter089

HSC
Public School vs. Private

Now i would like people to take part in this debate, i go to a public school and i have mates that go to private and senior schools. Now there has been some debate between us that private schools are better, but i think that education is the same all round as long as you are willing the put in the work for it. As the old saying goes "You only get out what you put in".
So anyone who has any opinions on this topic plz post a reply and let me know what you think.

A l

HSC
N/A
Re: Public School vs. Private

In terms of education, there isn't really much difference. However, in terms of facilities..............

felixcthecat

HSC

A l said:
In terms of education, there isn't really much difference. However, in terms of facilities..............
heh~ yea facilities are most likely better in private schools because of extra funding from students..

i think that even if u try and put in the same amount of work, public school teachers have less resources to teach their students (due to school fudning/ their own efforts) so unless you even go the way of finding information on the whole syllabus it's quite a significant negative, and generally i feel that public school teachers are more lazy, u can't give too much extra stuff for them to mark- they get tired of u after a while (generally, they seem to give less class tests as well so they don't need to mark as much) ><'

just some thoughts~ a lot is just due to funding.. and that private schools happen to have more money to spend ^^'

rama_v

HSC

felixcthecat said:
heh~ yea facilities are most likely better in private schools because of extra funding from students..

i think that even if u try and put in the same amount of work, public school teachers have less resources to teach their students (due to school fudning/ their own efforts) so unless you even go the way of finding information on the whole syllabus it's quite a significant negative, and generally i feel that public school teachers are more lazy, u can't give too much extra stuff for them to mark- they get tired of u after a while (generally, they seem to give less class tests as well so they don't need to mark as much) ><'

just some thoughts~ a lot is just due to funding.. and that private schools happen to have more money to spend ^^'
I agreee private schools have better facilities but I don't agree that the teachers in public schools are more "lazy" than those in private schools. At least they havent been in my case.

I went to a public school - every single one of my teachers wished the best for us in all my classes, they ran extra classess during the holidays (for no pay), and they never once refused to mark anything I handed them. And I handed them A LOT lol. Our teachers gave us a very very large number of resources as well.

Thats been my experience though. Obviously others may have different opinions. Perhaps I just got lucky :p

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

The teacher at public school are so so lazy (most of them), but u can get some really dedicated and great teachers. Some public schools have pathetic facilities.

The teacher in the private education are mostly of high standards (depends which school). But you can get some really dumbasses. THe facility is also really(considering it's a good private, u can get some pretty dodgy private schools).

I currently go to a public school and it absolutly suck crap, but some teacher are good. Going into the private system next year. After visting the school i was amazed by how much the teacher is willing to help you and the fact that the school is willing to cater for all kids with differnt talents.

The aim of education is to learn and absorb life skills

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
HSC
N/A

I say it depends on the teachers. If you don't have good teachers, then you are in trouble (unless you have very good tutors).

I went to a public school (albiet selective) , and I think I did pretty well not because I worked my butt off (because I know that didn't happen) but because my teachers prepared me so well.

I think a number of good teachers are leeched by privates because of better wages, but there are still some very good teachers in the public school system.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC

There are good & bad teachers in every type of school, it has nothing to do with whether its public or private. Also, they, on the most part, receive their degrees and qualifications from the same place (ie UNSW, USYD). Another point - there are teachers who have taught at both, so to say that public school teachers are lazy means that private school teachers are lazy too :) My experience at a public comprehensive school has been very similar to rama_v's.

Last edited:

felixcthecat

HSC

rama_v said:
I agreee private schools have better facilities but I don't agree that the teachers in public schools are more "lazy" than those in private schools. At least they havent been in my case.

I went to a public school - every single one of my teachers wished the best for us in all my classes, they ran extra classess during the holidays (for no pay), and they never once refused to mark anything I handed them. And I handed them A LOT lol. Our teachers gave us a very very large number of resources as well.

Thats been my experience though. Obviously others may have different opinions. Perhaps I just got lucky :p
^^" maybe cuz they don't care much about ppl below yr 10.. > cuz that's the last time i was in a public school..... but then maybe you're lucky cuz i don't hear that from some other friends~~ esp free holiday courses.!! lucky :D

robo-andie

HSC

I go to a Public school and the teachers are very willing to help, though they often stand back from force feeding you information and let you discover things for yourself. I like that. Independent learning is a very useful tool.

As for facilities, it isn't a matter of funding, it is a matter of fund management. The school I am at is more than able to provide resources for it's students and teachers. New Science blocks have been put up and as of next year there will be all new Art rooms and Food Tech/DT rooms. We also just recently had a new dance floor installed in the Dance room.
Considering we get the same amount of funding as other schools our size, I think this is a perfect example of brilliant financial control.

Riviet

HSC
N/A

glitterfairy said:
I think a number of good teachers are leeched by privates because of better wages, but there are still some very good teachers in the public school system.
Agreed, at my school (private), we have some really devoted teachers that do their best to help us with the HSC and then there are others that only teach during class time and don't offer any further assistance.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC

Public school are definately better...we dont have the snobby students or teachers for that matter and the teachers we do have actually give a damn about the students unlike private schools where they are interested in their pay packets.

I think u get a much better education at public schools because the teachers do care and set up extra lessons and do a lot of extra work when they really dont need to. Public schools all the way

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

dion7789 said:
Public school are definately better...we dont have the snobby students or teachers for that matter and the teachers we do have actually give a damn about the students unlike private schools where they are interested in their pay packets.
Have you ever gone to a private school? What narrow-minded stereotyping. I've been to both public and private schools, and my personal experience is that private schools have been better.

oblivious.

HSC

Private schools have better/more facilities, more opportunities for students and the teachers have more personal interest in how the students are progressing both educationally and in there personal lives.
Private schools also get longer holidays aswell as having more camps and excursions.
:)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

Or a study could be done to compare UAIs from various school. Anyway, the top ranking schools tend to be private or selective.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

happibear said:
i have friends that are from private schools and they are so smart =( compare to me. public school is more of bludge where u have to stick with the naughty kids. :( i want to go private schools, its better causeu can concentrate work.
I think that if you're concerned and interested in doing well academically and turn those feelings into motivation and good work, you will do well regardless of whether you go to a private or public school :)

webby234

HSC
N/A

dagwoman said:
Or a study could be done to compare UAIs from various school. Anyway, the top ranking schools tend to be private or selective.
I think a study was done and they found that private schools tended to do better but that public school students caught up and in some cases did better when they reached uni. Also - perhaps the top ranking schools are private due to the students coming from a higher socio-economic background?

I've only gone to public schools so it's hard to judge, but I have really liked my teachers and the students in my year. I think that more than made up for the not so good facilities.

Sofstar

HSC

webby234 said:
Also - perhaps the top ranking schools are private due to the students coming from a higher socio-economic background?
Not necessarily. I know alot of people who dont come from a higher socio-economic background and go to private schools. I think that people go to private are there because parents think that it's an opportunity and can just afford it, but in saying that there are people from higher socio-eco backgrounds.

I havent been to a public during high school so i cant really comment. I had the choice of attending private or public when i went into high school and i chose private and i think that it's been a great choice.:) Although we do have some crappy teachers.

daledugahole

HSC

For me I go to a private school (well independant Catholic but close enough) and I think personally it has been the best environment for me to learn in.

I've found that teachers go above and beyond the call of duty to help out whenever they can whether it's extra classes, one on one tuition before school or just marking essays ect.

I also think the teachers really care about the student not just their education. You can't walk into my modern history class looking slightly pale without my teacher running to the staff room to grab you a glass of water after quizzing you on if you ate a proper lunch.

I really like the atmosphere of my school. I feel safe and I guess I am a little sheltered but that's not neccessarily a bad thing when I'm trying to concentrate on my studies. We don't have many discipline problems (more senior school than junior) as people don't feel the need to muck up and are willing to learn.

My older sister when to a selective public high school and she got as a good an education as I have so I think in the end it all depends on the person and what kind of learning environment is best for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)