• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What university did your parents goto? (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Pearl
My dad did his degree at the University of Sheffield (England) and his Phd study as well - he was at uni for nearly 9 years!!
tim roberts, this head-hauncho guy in my faculty, got nothing but hd's throughout his degree, did his phd, went on to research, and is now researching and teaching, and is 58 and never had a 'real' job

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
mum didn't go to uni
dad went to syd first, then he did masters at UNSW i think and he did his MBA at macquarie (macq graduate school of management) because apparently they don't give a shit where you get your MBA from (kind of like your RSA for people who have that).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah, an MBA is an MBA. It's good enough just having one. But Macq and AGSB are reputed to be the best Graduate Business Schools in Australia anyway, with UTS not far behind.

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
tim roberts, this head-hauncho guy in my faculty, got nothing but hd's throughout his degree, did his phd, went on to research, and is now researching and teaching, and is 58 and never had a 'real' job
Not much of a life is it? :D

Ribbon

Originally posted by melbournian
Yeah my principal earns $150,000pa (well according to The Age newspaper), which is the highest of any state principal in the state.
Yes, and there are certain IT proffessionals who earn 2 or 3 times that (I would hazard a guess at saying there are many more IT proffessionals in the 150k range than there are school teacher/principals/whatevers)

Also when you consider that Principal is technically not teaching, but management, I would think an IT management proffessional would be more likely to get paid more?

oh and because my (dodge) theory is a general one, I think it is fair to apply a limit to how high the subjects can rise... like hundreds of teachers have the potential to be principals in small schools, but only a few have the potential to be a principal in a top school, just as even less have the potential to rise into the position of minister of education ect. ect. Same goes for IT...

and in support of my theory: teachers in nsw havn't gotten a payrise in the last 25 years without having to strike first...

go the IT proffessionals.... having said that, we desperately need more teachers, so all potential teaching students listen to melbie and don't bail out of the area for IT... even better, become an IT teacher....

At this point I would say i've kindof lost track of what exactly it is i'm talking about, but I stand by my theory :D

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Yeah, an MBA is an MBA. It's good enough just having one. But Macq and AGSB are reputed to be the best Graduate Business Schools in Australia anyway, with UTS not far behind.
What does AGSB stand for:confused:?

alman

agsb - australian graduate school of business..

ribbon: i think you are going round in circles :p

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by alman
agsb - australian graduate school of business..
OK, thanks alman. So what does MBA stand for? Master Business Australia:confused:?

P.S. I think that if I started my own investing company, people wouldn't take me seriously (i.e. I am too young and not qualified):(.

alman

MBA stands for Master of Business Administration.

Oh no, I started my own investing company with family members and then their friends wanted to get in with all the fun - i cant refuse more money, can i? :)

all i can say, is that it is definitely rewarding in many ways...not just financially ;)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
MBA stands for Master of Business Administration.

all i can say, is that it is definitely rewarding in many ways...not just financially ;)
I can imagine:).

santaslayer

HSC
theres actually a good guide to MBA's u can buy from the newsagencies if u'z r interested......i think it was made by the same people that did the good unis guide

alman

interesting to note that columbia is 3rd....and most of them are american...is that saying anything about the educational quality?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
$150 000 for a Public Principal?! Thats fucking ridiculous!
My Principal gets paid a shitload cos it was a concept school and she got to choose her own package when it opened, but its nowhere near that and if any Public Principal in NSW is getting that I will personally pay a visit to Mr minister!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)