What was transferring from Engineering like? (1 Viewer)

LoneWolf1990

HSC
I've been surfing around the internet and I've been quite astonished to see the number and rate of engineering dropouts/transfers out there, obviously this is high, since engineering can be alot of work+it's at times boring and I just want to know from anyone out here on bos:

• Who is itching to leave engineering behind for say something like Science?
  • What was life like after transferring?
  • If you had dropped out of engineering what's your life like now?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I've been surfing around the internet and I've been quite astonished to see the number and rate of engineering dropouts/transfers out there, obviously this is high, since engineering can be alot of work+it's at times boring and I just want to know from anyone out here on bos:

lol

how is there any less work in engineering than science? Especially if you have a lab based subject such as biochem or microbiology

LoneWolf1990

HSC
lol

how is there any less work in engineering than science? Especially if you have a lab based subject such as biochem or microbiology
cause in engineering, there's that thing called physics

Miss Winey

HSC
No doubt Engineering is a difficult degree, and I'm pretty sure no one goes through without wanting to drop out at least once.
(you're not the only one)

I'm in my final year of an engineering degree and I've wanted to drop out twice.

What I have also noticed is that the degree is deliberately structured such that it gets really really difficult towards the middle. around second semester second year, and first semester third year, almost all subjects fail about 40% of the students.

Now that I am in final year, there is actually a prudence in doing that.
a) Universities have a hugh responsibility to the public that their engineers will get it right more than 50% of the time.

b) engineers are not rote learners. you need to know everything, and then create stuff with your knowledge. So requiring you to REALLY know your stuff is thoroughly important if you wanna be a good engineer. If this means doing the difficult subjects, well then so be it.

c) learning how to cram lots and lots of knowledge in a short span in important to a working engineer. so practice while you're young.

I can honestly say that having failed a few subjects, It is very refreshing how much easier the later subjects are in comparrison.

Furthurmore, by the time you get to late third year and fourth year, you won't be doing half as much "learning new stuff" but applying all the earlier stuff into design examples. which equals = no wrong answer = heaps easier.

If you drop engineering for science, you may find yourself suddenly restricted in creative thinking, doing even more mundane boring stuff and awkwardly unemployable. Remember 50 years from now, everything that will exisit in science already exisits today. we just haven't found out what it is yet. however 50 years from now, everything that will exisit in engineering, must be created by the student engineers of today! As the famous philosopher captain planet once said "the power is yours!"

My advice - HANG IN THERE!!

I think studying engineering is similar to learning the Piano.
You won't get there unless you put the effort in.
Everyone who quits regrets it for the rest of their life.

Uncle

Banned
HSC

Ask Omium.
But don't transfer to a shitty degree like International Studies.

What I have also noticed is that the degree is deliberately structured such that it gets really really difficult towards the middle. around second semester second year, and first semester third year, almost all subjects fail about 40% of the students.
Oh god....

c) learning how to cram lots and lots of knowledge in a short span in important to a working engineer. so practice while you're young.
heh.
Living living life on the edge is great.

Furthurmore, by the time you get to late third year and fourth year, you won't be doing half as much "learning new stuff" but applying all the earlier stuff into design examples. which equals = no wrong answer = heaps easier.
Saves money on textbooks too.

If you drop engineering for science, you may find yourself suddenly restricted in creative thinking, doing even more mundane boring stuff and awkwardly unemployable. Remember 50 years from now, everything that will exisit in science already exisits today. we just haven't found out what it is yet. however 50 years from now, everything that will exisit in engineering, must be created by the student engineers of today! As the famous philosopher captain planet once said "the power is yours!"
I must agree.
But don't ever drop to a shitty degree like International Studies.
Don't go lower than science.

I couldn't say it any better.

Live fast.
Live forever.
Tokyo drift.
Engineering.

EDIT:

b) engineers are not rote learners. you need to know everything, and then create stuff with your knowledge. So requiring you to REALLY know your stuff is thoroughly important if you wanna be a good engineer. If this means doing the difficult subjects, well then so be it.
This is what sets up apart from others.

Last edited:

LoneWolf1990

HSC
No doubt Engineering is a difficult degree, and I'm pretty sure no one goes through without wanting to drop out at least once.
(you're not the only one)

I'm in my final year of an engineering degree and I've wanted to drop out twice.

Now that I am in final year, there is actually a prudence in doing that.
a) Universities have a hugh responsibility to the public that their engineers will get it right more than 50% of the time.

I can honestly say that having failed a few subjects, It is very refreshing how much easier the later subjects are in comparrison.

My advice - HANG IN THERE!!

Thanks, but then there's the social side of things, you see in my uni, Engineers are renowned for their drinking reputation and with me being a teetotaller, I get this stigma attached to me and/or pressure to make me drink(keep in mind that it's really starting to get to me and I have thoughts of drinking which is just not me and I'm scared of losing who I am), that sometimes leaves me wondering what would have happeneed if I did something else and is influencing my decision to leave engineering for something else

HSC
N/A
I have never drank in my whole fucking life and there are times that i feel like going to the bar and just getting drunk.

LoneWolf1990

HSC
I have never drank in my whole fucking life and there are times that i feel like going to the bar and just getting drunk.
I feel your pain :(

Is that the basis for your decision to change? The "social stigma"? If you are actually interested in engineering, then its not worth giving up employability and a good degree simply because of peer pressure.
There will be pressure to drink everywhere, regardless of degree. You just need to figure out how you can ignore it.
part of it, I tried almost everything and I'm seriously tired of making up excuses not to drink sometimes I feel like turning into the Hulk(metaphorically speaking) and punching the lights out of anyone who gives me crap about my choice of being a teetotaller, it's my decision and I feel like the whole world is against me because of it :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)