What will you major at uni? :) (1 Viewer)

poppop

HSC
N/A
Hello fellow Visual Arts/ creatives :)

Im just curious as to what other talented visual arts students are interested in doing after high school.

As for my school, the top achievers in Visual Arts last year all ended up doing something art/design related at uni (good on them! :))
Most went to do Design @ UTS (in either Vis comm, Interior or fashion) and some are doing Fine Arts @ UNSW/COFA.

As for me, it's in my sig lol :)

how about you guys? :)

Last edited:

juni

juni
HSC
well art was my fav subject in high school and it motivated me to do the course i'm doing right now: Bachelor of Design in Vis comm/ international studies @ UTS.

zaqwerty

HSC
Everyone expects me to do some creative-type course at Uni because I've always been into art, but I'm totally stepping away from that arena.

My eyes are focused on psychology now.

So Bachelor of Psychology it is!

zaqwerty

HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
Just a quick question... Is HSC Visuals Arts reccommended for B Design in Visual Communications at UTS?
I don't know for sure but I'd say so, it's usually the pre-requisit for creative/design type courses.

poppop

HSC
N/A
Gangles.McGee said:
Just a quick question... Is HSC Visuals Arts reccommended for B Design in Visual Communications at UTS?
Yes it is :)

That's the course handbook

http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/dab/ug/c10059.html

Bachelor of Design in Visual Communication
Additional assumed knowledge

Any two units of English.
Visual arts, art history, design fundamentals and Advanced English are recommended. For non-current school leavers, previous related study or work experience would be of assistance.

For Interior Design as well.

http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/dab/ug/c10057.html

Additional assumed knowledge

Any two units of English.
Visual arts, art history and/or design are recommended. For non-current school leavers, previous related study or work experience would be of assistance.
[/URL]

DeeORINDA

art wanker
HSC
hmm
im really liking earth and enviro sci and doing well in it,
but visual arts is my passion
...to choose
something iam good at for some reason?
or something i bleed and breathe everyday?:bomb:

jessal

HSC
Dorinda! fancy seeing you here. you should get into design

as for me... its gonna be tough when course-choosing-time comes.
really, really tough. i avoid thinking about it. i have a whole list of courses that i want to do, but obviously cant do them all.

DeeORINDA

art wanker
HSC
JESSA MESSA!
haha

yeh, people tell me design as well
and im considering it but theres so much but i know i def want to do something in the visual arts field!

i think for you, its anything creative, like art etc and performance stuff like drama,
i really really see you in either one or both those areas. but yeh...im just Dorinda! sooo watev! haha

jessal

HSC
yea ive gotta somehow combine those. i really wanna get into entertainment , aswell as art, aswell as drama. maybe ill do theatre set designs or something haha

msh

HSC
i really wanna get into B Design @ UTS ... Fingers crossed~

yasmine2007

HSC
well art is my favorite subject then comes maths hehe.. but i think im going to do something creative i have heaps in mind
architecture
landscape architecture(so i can get into architecture in 2nd year at uni hopefully.. maybe ill be exempt from some classes hm..)
interior architecture (same as landscape)
Planning
fashion designer
interior designer
high school visual arts teacher (maybe design and technology as well)

i have heaps im just scared i wont get into anything at the end i dont want to end up re-doing year 12 again

:burn: :) :confused:

avantgarde

HSC
considering I L O V E visual arts, most definately something Design/Art.

Currently thinking of Bachelor of Design with International Studies at UTS. :)

Hopefully I get high enough UAI to choose which major I want. I'm thinking Interior or Vis Com and maybe Fashion (but I've never touched a sewing machine in my life, so that's a maybe :))

Also, a single degree in Design from UTS will satisfy me too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

N1C0L3

HSC
i went better at visual arts than any other subject by far! however...i only have talent in painting, im pretty crap at drawing and not very versatile with other forms of media.. so i think if i did a course in art in uni or someting i wouldnt get anywhere in that career area
soo..hopefuly ill get into an environmental science/ecology/conservation course in Uni orr Animal studies in tafe would be even better.:)

braddio

HSC
I did REALLY well in visual arts and i love film... the media & production course would be preferred choice.. but the UAI is too high 4 me.. so hopefully i will get into B Design in Vis Communications!!
The course looks really cool and i can do film as well as graphic design + if u get band 6 in VA u get +5 UAI points!!!!

Lamoo

Renegade Onion
HSC
I'm tossing up between BA Design for Theatre and TV at Charles Sturt where I'll probably major in either set or costume design, and Bachelor of Visual Arts (or whatever it is) at SCA.

Am a little more inclined to go with Sturt, but only because I reckon there'd be more job opportunities afterwards. Probably not many more, but slightly more hopefully. :)

Cheers,
Lamoo

Hairey

HSC
engineering. After going to a classical music based school for 5 years, I want to try something new. good luck for tomorrow guys (much love for procrastination :))

msh

HSC
braddio said:
I did REALLY well in visual arts and i love film... the media & production course would be preferred choice.. but the UAI is too high 4 me.. so hopefully i will get into B Design in Vis Communications!!
The course looks really cool and i can do film as well as graphic design + if u get band 6 in VA u get +5 UAI points!!!!
I have an odd feeling that this new 'bonus scheme' that UTS started this year is only going to make the uai cut-offs go up even higher. :mad: Hence at the end of the day you will still need a high uai anyway.

I'm assuming it will go up by 5 to 95 and to get the benefits you have to achieve over 90 anyway.
Also that added 5 points means now their selctive UAI criteria is out of 105 instead of 100 for these design courses.

Imagine the number of people that will apply with a uai of 95+ and a band 6 in visual arts....(Which happens every other year anyway, in fact cut-off for vis com design at uts had been 93~96 longer than its been in the 90) I predict the uai cut-off will rise definately :s Even in years with cut off at 90, it also means most people got over that considering that was the LAST person in. :s

If you look at threads like this

http://community.boredofstudies.org/127/faculty-design-architecture/8955/desperate-go-uts.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org/37/visual-arts/667/who-wants-get-art-ish-job/2.html

http://community.boredofstudies.org...nology-sydney/54679/visual-communication.html

you can tell that uai cut-off for Design in visual communications had been in the 93~96 most of the time..

I wouldn't be surprised if UTS only brought out this so called 'bonus scheme' just to RAISE the uai cut-offs back to its original popularity.

Last edited:

jazzmuzik

HSC
Art and Drama are my loves so i'm going auditioning for...

Wollongong: B.Creative Arts Dean Scholars, Visual Arts/ Performance

VCA: B. Production (set, costume design, direction, stage management, lighting, sound)

NIDA: B Dramatic Art (Design)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)