• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What would you do if you could be Prime Minister of Australia for eleven years? (1 Viewer)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
If elected PM of Australia I will increase taxes on the rich and promote reward for effort
uhh

I will deliver a budget surplus.
Someone else said that recently.

I will establish a world class health system and a world class educational system.
Try to****************

Cut spending on foreign aid and cut spending on renewable energy. I will also increase the refugee intake and build a big population Australia (40 million by 2050). I will also support a stronger Mineral Resources Rent Tax. I will support the carbon tax.
lol you're a fuckin idiot

hayabusaboston

HSC
If elected PM of Australia I will increase taxes on the rich and promote reward for effort and entrepreneurship by less fortunate members of society. I will deliver a budget surplus. I will establish a sovereign wealth fund. I will establish a world class health system and a world class educational system. Cut spending on foreign aid and cut spending on renewable energy. I will also increase the refugee intake and build a big population Australia (40 million by 2050). I will also support a stronger Mineral Resources Rent Tax. I will support the carbon tax.
niqqa, go to africa, be it south africa/zimbabwe/kenya or whatever, and come back in 1 year and tell us all if you're still a bleeding heart.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
lol these are all AWFUL ideas you moron

re: education i would completely reform everything

year 12 assessments would be based on QLD's model
- year 11 and 12 counts but not first sem of year 11
- teacher completely makes up internal assessments and *everything* but sends unit plans and sample works of students to QLD's version of BoS (name excapes me)
- they use the OP exam (2 days of general knowledge and stimulus creative writing at the year 10 level) to moderate marks rather than rely on ranks and 50% HSC exam which is fucked up

Really vague curriculum to maximise teacher autonomy (content is listed but nowhere near as specific as nsw's is now)
curriculum would be completely reformed, curriculum body would be comprised of a mix of experienced teachers and academics from the academic disciplines
masters degree OR honours compulsory for teachers
All universities must adopt similar teacher training programs with regular practical experience starting in first year and prac must expose you to a variety of schools including low and high ses, independent, private, public, special ed, high indigenous population etc
compulsory study of education for ATSI students for at least 1 sem and special ed for at least 1 sem

there's a bit more but I can't think of how to articulate it but tbh i think this^^^ is all pretty feasible
1. I like the fact year 11 gives you a year to get used to the way you have to study in year 12. Giving students this year to test study methods, get used to the workload etc. plus trying different subjects out they may drop in year 12 without having to deal with the consequences of it counting to your HSC is very beneficial.
2. Sounds reasonable, but why the sample works, out of curiousity?
3. How would this help moderate marks for different subjects? How will your performance in general knowledge or stimulus creative writing have any relevance to moderating an Extension 2 Mathematics or Chemistry mark? I'm just not sure how your idea will work exactly.
4. A vague curriculum can be useful for English etc. because it encourages more creativity and scope. But in all honesty how will you successfully examine a science if its syllabus its too vague and every school does stuff slighlty differently cos the teacher has too much autonomy? I get that you are aiming for a balance, I just don't see how exactly you will achieve that. Like what are some specific examples of content you would change? Also how would this work with point 2.?

kfnmpah

HSC
the first semester of year 11 gives you practice

but you shouldn't have to practice your study methods you know if the 11 years of school you've been through beforehand have been effective duh
sample works are sent in just so the qld bos can approve what the teachers are doing
by a vague syllabus i mean the content is listed but no where near as detailed as nsw. look at the finnish syllabus (cbb to go in to it but the content to be studied is p much just listed without all the 'working and thinking mathematically' bs in the nsw one. it is also not as fucking extensive and high pressure which comes with a massive syllabus + massive high stakes exam at the end of year 12)

as for moderating marks, the OP exam (in qld) is used to compare how you go with others doing the same subjects but it is at a year 10 level and is ONLY used to slightly moderate marks, it isn't used to make up your marks like in the hsc and it is a lot fairer because disadvantaged students or special needs students or whatever will be able to do it. You could argue this is unfair to top students, but it isn't because they will be top students in their internal assessments which make up all the marks. the test is merely used to moderate, your marks are plugged in and you get an OP mark (in qld, for example)

i don't think subjects should be moderated. the point of having brilliant teachers is to engage students in different disciplines that they show particular interest in. You shouldn't pick maths and chem and physics to get a high atar or whatever you should study what you enjoy, that is how progress in industry/research/whatever will come about. I also think lots more options should be made available to kids in terms of work experience, tafe and uni so people don't feel like they must do one or the other. I know people in grafton, for example, who didn't think they could go to uni because the concept of tertiary education was so foreign to them/their families so they went to tafe when they peobably could have gone to and excelled in uni. same goes the other way around. mates who went to prestigious private schools in sydney thought they had to go to uni because lawyers everywhere, wasted a couple of years doing things they didn't want to do and wound up at tafe, got a trade and have a job they like doing.

small sample size, but i mean social mobility is a thing that needs addressing and school is the place to do it.

kfnmpah

HSC
i understand your views, i used to think the same thing but i mean you have to be open minded and think about the implications these views have for a majority of students (but and also the top students.) I don't think being in a more stimulating but reduced pressure environment could ever be bad for anyone.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm sorry, Mr Genius You deserve my claps :tennisclap:....

lol these are all AWFUL ideas you moron

re: education i would completely reform everything

year 12 assessments would be based on QLD's model
- year 11 and 12 counts but not first sem of year 11
- teacher completely makes up internal assessments and *everything* but sends unit plans and sample works of students to QLD's version of BoS (name excapes me)
- they use the OP exam (2 days of general knowledge and stimulus creative writing at the year 10 level) to moderate marks rather than rely on ranks and 50% HSC exam which is fucked up

Really vague curriculum to maximise teacher autonomy (content is listed but nowhere near as specific as nsw's is now)
curriculum would be completely reformed, curriculum body would be comprised of a mix of experienced teachers and academics from the academic disciplines
masters degree OR honours compulsory for teachers
All universities must adopt similar teacher training programs with regular practical experience starting in first year and prac must expose you to a variety of schools including low and high ses, independent, private, public, special ed, high indigenous population etc
compulsory study of education for ATSI students for at least 1 sem and special ed for at least 1 sem

there's a bit more but I can't think of how to articulate it but tbh i think this^^^ is all pretty feasible

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
abolish the military except for a small force adequate for emergencies and stuff
get rid of pretty much every subsidy
cut all diplomatic ties with Israel
privatize pretty much all government assets like Medibank and shit
abolish the RBA
get rid of the guarantee for the big 4 banks not to fail
stop being America's lackey and not go to every single fucking war they start (no millitar
no minister for women
end aboriginal affirmative action
open borders
no quotas and tariffs
legalise all drugs
make english uncompulsory for the HSC

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
abolish the military except for a small force adequate for emergencies and stuff
get rid of pretty much every subsidy
cut all diplomatic ties with Israel
privatize pretty much all government assets like Medibank and shit
abolish the RBA
get rid of the guarantee for the big 4 banks not to fail
stop being America's lackey and not go to every single fucking war they start (no millitar
no minister for women
end aboriginal affirmative action
open borders
no quotas and tariffs
legalise all drugs
make english uncompulsory for the HSC
Do you actually want slavery brought back or something?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
the first semester of year 11 gives you practice

but you shouldn't have to practice your study methods you know if the 11 years of school you've been through beforehand have been effective duh
sample works are sent in just so the qld bos can approve what the teachers are doing
by a vague syllabus i mean the content is listed but no where near as detailed as nsw. look at the finnish syllabus (cbb to go in to it but the content to be studied is p much just listed without all the 'working and thinking mathematically' bs in the nsw one. it is also not as fucking extensive and high pressure which comes with a massive syllabus + massive high stakes exam at the end of year 12)

as for moderating marks, the OP exam (in qld) is used to compare how you go with others doing the same subjects but it is at a year 10 level and is ONLY used to slightly moderate marks, it isn't used to make up your marks like in the hsc and it is a lot fairer because disadvantaged students or special needs students or whatever will be able to do it. You could argue this is unfair to top students, but it isn't because they will be top students in their internal assessments which make up all the marks. the test is merely used to moderate, your marks are plugged in and you get an OP mark (in qld, for example)

i don't think subjects should be moderated. the point of having brilliant teachers is to engage students in different disciplines that they show particular interest in. You shouldn't pick maths and chem and physics to get a high atar or whatever you should study what you enjoy, that is how progress in industry/research/whatever will come about. I also think lots more options should be made available to kids in terms of work experience, tafe and uni so people don't feel like they must do one or the other. I know people in grafton, for example, who didn't think they could go to uni because the concept of tertiary education was so foreign to them/their families so they went to tafe when they peobably could have gone to and excelled in uni. same goes the other way around. mates who went to prestigious private schools in sydney thought they had to go to uni because lawyers everywhere, wasted a couple of years doing things they didn't want to do and wound up at tafe, got a trade and have a job they like doing.

small sample size, but i mean social mobility is a thing that needs addressing and school is the place to do it.
subjects need to be moderated a band 6 in 4unit maths is not the same as band 6 in a rote learning subject like IPT or legal studies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)