What would you guys give this story out of 15? (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
Ghost Town

The hardest part is starting. But as the wheels hit the concrete and my limbs loosen, I become free. It is a freedom which reactivates my senses and resonates with my soul. Weaving, carving, sliding; I leave an intricate path behind me as if I am a snake.

Autonomously I continue up a fatigued footpath and cross the adjacent street. The spiritless skateboard is ageing. I am too. But thirty-five tumultuous years on I still feel juvenile. I transform into a ten-year-old, emerging from the claustrophobic cocoon that is adult life.

I stop, remaining lethargic as the world turns into a blur. All this time I have been too oblivious to realise the irony. The population is increasing exponentially and this urbanising town is thriving with infrastructure. But I am left with nothing. Nothing but a cacophony of sound waves settling unwillingly within my ear canals. It is dreary and dismal, and I am as lonely as I have ever been. The security of local faces has been replaced with the technological stress of the modern world. Do I have a place in a dog-eat-dog town? A position in the materialised, in the masses? Am I the living dead of this ghost town?

My route begins the same: eastbound until the ‘Lennox Point Hotel’. I encounter a virtually deserted primary school and I hear faint melodic fragments being played gracefully by a solitary child. She is blowing into a brass trumpet. It is this moment of such innocence that my mind goes for a wonder. I discover that while I try so hard to meet society’s needs I abandon those of my own.

A body of metal, glass and tyres distracts me, enveloping my senses. It is a Holden sedan and the engine is heavy. It accelerates past as exhaust fumes rise up and disperse, creating a toxic sky. I find myself having to follow the movement of the Commodore; I yearn for its power, its authority. I reluctantly return to the girl on the trumpet. She ends the piece; the final note is filled with fragility.

I am now beachside at the Pub where sounds of laughter spread into the afternoon air. But the laughter is forced; tarnished by the troubles of their lives. I inhale a distinct mixture of alcohol and cigarettes. I almost lose balance and awkwardly lean forward to correct myself. Perhaps I am the only ghost in this town.

I move north along the narrow footpath; the cracks in the pavement interrupt the smoothness of the ride. I try to dodge pedestrians. They look on with silent disapproval – trying to hide their own insecurities. They all assume an unspoken authority over me. One woman observes me – her eyes lock onto me like a bloodsucking parasite. She systematically moves to the right, obstructing the track I am travelling, forming a blockade, a barrier. I steadily deposit the majority of the weight in my legs to the board, allowing me to rotate clockwise and I veer to the right. I avoid the potential collision only to tumble forward frantically as my board fails to conquer a stubborn section of sand. As I clutch my jarred hand the woman efficiently adjusts herself before continuing to her destination with her grandiloquent head held high.

A cluster of clouds cover up the sun, forming golden stripes against bleak shades of grey. A man is driving hurriedly along the bitumen. As the sunlight meets his eyes he is swift to respond by sliding on a pair of glossy sunglasses. I cannot help but think he is masking the inevitabilities of his life. The act of trying to block out a harsh reality has highlighted his weaknesses, his frustrations. Then I ponder upon whether I am congruent with this character… Do I conform to this, the dominant hegemony?

I forget these thoughts for a moment and skate. Not with reason or purpose, but in contentment. The simplicity relieves my psychological wounds, rekindling my sense of self. But time is becoming ominous. It is speeding up and I cannot hold on. I feel disheartened – gloom creeps into my body eliminating my momentary bliss. It is what they want me to feel, right? They want me to experience belonging in their mainstream society, restricted by the limitations of time, money and self-interest. Do they understand my predicament? I have a morality, a virtuosity to live out. I have distant dreams to fulfil, a legacy to establish.

If I could be granted one wish it would be to remain a child forever; for this is where eternal hope resides. Children have not been subject to cynicism and superficiality. They are politely naïve, easily fascinated. What arrogance this society has to pass on their prejudices to children.

The skateboard and I arrive home; we both retire from a broken day. The front door squeaks in satisfaction as I enter into a haven of refuge and warmth. I am reminded of my desires for the future – pervasive, intimate and lingering. I check the clock on the dust-ridden desk with inquisitiveness. 7:43pm.

I vividly reminiscence about the solitary schoolgirl and long to hear the effortlessness of her trumpet’s untarnished melody. The sun sets on this ghost town and for a split-second in time I am gratified.

mamoz

HSC
all i can say after reading this story is - "woww!" ..
its such an exceptional stOry .. guud on yaa!
oh yerr ii give it a 15 outta 15! =]

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Ghost Town

The hardest part is starting. But as the wheels hit the concrete and my limbs loosen, I become free. It is a freedom which reactivates my senses and resonates with my soul. Weaving, carving, sliding; I leave an intricate path behind me as if I am a snake.

Autonomously I continue up a fatigued footpath and cross the adjacent street. The spiritless skateboard is ageing. I am too. But thirty-five tumultuous years on I still feel juvenile. I transform into a ten-year-old, emerging from the claustrophobic cocoon that is adult life.

I stop, remaining lethargic as the world turns into a blur. All this time I have been too oblivious to realise the irony. The population is increasing exponentially and this urbanising town is thriving with infrastructure. But I am left with nothing. Nothing but a cacophony of sound waves settling unwillingly within my ear canals. It is dreary and dismal, and I am as lonely as I have ever been. The security of local faces has been replaced with the technological stress of the modern world. Do I have a place in a dog-eat-dog town? A position in the materialised, in the masses? Am I the living dead of this ghost town?

My route begins the same: eastbound until the ‘Lennox Point Hotel’. I encounter a virtually deserted primary school and I hear faint melodic fragments being played gracefully by a solitary child. She is blowing into a brass trumpet. It is this moment of such innocence that my mind goes for a wonder. I discover that while I try so hard to meet society’s needs I abandon those of my own.

A body of metal, glass and tyres distracts me, enveloping my senses. It is a Holden sedan and the engine is heavy. It accelerates past as exhaust fumes rise up and disperse, creating a toxic sky. I find myself having to follow the movement of the Commodore; I yearn for its power, its authority. I reluctantly return to the girl on the trumpet. She ends the piece; the final note is filled with fragility.

I am now beachside at the Pub where sounds of laughter spread into the afternoon air. But the laughter is forced; tarnished by the troubles of their lives. I inhale a distinct mixture of alcohol and cigarettes. I almost lose balance and awkwardly lean forward to correct myself. Perhaps I am the only ghost in this town.

I move north along the narrow footpath; the cracks in the pavement interrupt the smoothness of the ride. I try to dodge pedestrians. They look on with silent disapproval – trying to hide their own insecurities. They all assume an unspoken authority over me. One woman observes me – her eyes lock onto me like a bloodsucking parasite. She systematically moves to the right, obstructing the track I am travelling, forming a blockade, a barrier. I steadily deposit the majority of the weight in my legs to the board, allowing me to rotate clockwise and I veer to the right. I avoid the potential collision only to tumble forward frantically as my board fails to conquer a stubborn section of sand. As I clutch my jarred hand the woman efficiently adjusts herself before continuing to her destination with her grandiloquent head held high.

A cluster of clouds cover up the sun, forming golden stripes against bleak shades of grey. A man is driving hurriedly along the bitumen. As the sunlight meets his eyes he is swift to respond by sliding on a pair of glossy sunglasses. I cannot help but think he is masking the inevitabilities of his life. The act of trying to block out a harsh reality has highlighted his weaknesses, his frustrations. Then I ponder upon whether I am congruent with this character… Do I conform to this, the dominant hegemony?

I forget these thoughts for a moment and skate. Not with reason or purpose, but in contentment. The simplicity relieves my psychological wounds, rekindling my sense of self. But time is becoming ominous. It is speeding up and I cannot hold on. I feel disheartened – gloom creeps into my body eliminating my momentary bliss. It is what they want me to feel, right? They want me to experience belonging in their mainstream society, restricted by the limitations of time, money and self-interest. Do they understand my predicament? I have a morality, a virtuosity to live out. I have distant dreams to fulfil, a legacy to establish.

If I could be granted one wish it would be to remain a child forever; for this is where eternal hope resides. Children have not been subject to cynicism and superficiality. They are politely naïve, easily fascinated. What arrogance this society has to pass on their prejudices to children.

The skateboard and I arrive home; we both retire from a broken day. The front door squeaks in satisfaction as I enter into a haven of refuge and warmth. I am reminded of my desires for the future – pervasive, intimate and lingering. I check the clock on the dust-ridden desk with inquisitiveness. 7:43pm.

I vividly reminiscence about the solitary schoolgirl and long to hear the effortlessness of her trumpet’s untarnished melody. The sun sets on this ghost town and for a split-second in time I am gratified.
I will get this marked.

Wait for that professional marking...

Last edited:

-tal-

HSC
Very good. Excellent if I must say. I'd give this one a 12 or 13 out of 15.

I'm not sure you'd want my opinion, but there are 2 things I would change about it for the better:

That last sentence, it's not a very high impact statement. Sort of like it's brilliant the whole way through, and there's all this anticipation built up for the ending... and then you get to it, and it.. well.. fizzles

"They want me to experience belonging in their mainstream society"
While I know you're meant to thrust that godforsaken word in (belonging) it's a little forced. It disrupted the flow of it.

Other than those things, the concept was great. Kudos.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Very good. Excellent if I must say. I'd give this one a 12 or 13 out of 15.

I'm not sure you'd want my opinion, but there are 2 things I would change about it for the better:

That last sentence, it's not a very high impact statement. Sort of like it's brilliant the whole way through, and there's all this anticipation built up for the ending... and then you get to it, and it.. well.. fizzles

"They want me to experience belonging in their mainstream society"
While I know you're meant to thrust that godforsaken word in (belonging) it's a little forced. It disrupted the flow of it.

Other than those things, the concept was great. Kudos.
What's your definition of "Excellent"? Don't you think 12/13 is a bit lower in comparison to your description?

To OP:
I personally thought that it was very well-written with the excellent representation of the theme, use of grammar and other literature techniques. However, I will need to comment on the overuse of short sentences that restricted the depth analysis of the message in the text. The sentences were overally too short and it wasn't necessary.

There were also some unnecessary and poor examples of desription such as this "Weaving, carving, sliding; I leave an intricate path behind me as if I am a snake." I can see what you are saying but the visual imagery with the snake just doesn't click. And anther one is this: "I transform into a ten-year-old, emerging from the claustrophobic cocoon that is adult life." which just doesn't make sense at all. I find it hard to understand what "claustrophobic cocoon" is...mentally/socially disordered cocoon? And the use of vocab "cocoon" here doesn't work really well.

My "criticism" can further extend to other sentences. HOWEVER, this is a really minor issue to the great achievement that you seemed to have made in writing this great story. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the theme was quite well represented.

I would give 12-13.

BTW, I am getting this story marked by someone else too who is professional so wait for that. I will post that up here.

Last edited:

samthebear

HSC
good stuff =] one of the better stories i've read (been editing and proofing friends stories - read a few... that'd make your toes curl in with the cliches) i give it 14/15 ^_^

jennieTalia

HSC
Hmm
Personally I would put it into the 10-12 bracket.
Nice use of description, if at times a bit forced? Like the descriptions are in there for the hell of it.
And the belonging aspect could be a bit stronger, you need to make a point about it... but I would AVOID using the word "belonging" as it seems forced and in your face.

One other suggestion, DO NOT WRITE IN PRESENT TENSE. Past Tense will always serve you much better.
Nice use of focusing on the senses, and I love the idea of the "irony" of feeling alone in an overpopulated world.

Is it easily adaptable?
How long is this when written out?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hmm
Personally I would put it into the 10-12 bracket.
Nice use of description, if at times a bit forced? Like the descriptions are in there for the hell of it.
And the belonging aspect could be a bit stronger, you need to make a point about it... but I would AVOID using the word "belonging" as it seems forced and in your face.

One other suggestion, DO NOT WRITE IN PRESENT TENSE. Past Tense will always serve you much better.
Nice use of focusing on the senses, and I love the idea of the "irony" of feeling alone in an overpopulated world.

Is it easily adaptable?
How long is this when written out?
Interesting perspective. Well, that's your view. It always doesn't work like that in Short Stories. It essentially depends on the genre and the type of the short story.

I personally though wrigin in present tense was fine with this story as it promotes a sense of action. Using a present tense allows the story to "closer ot the action" really.

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
I don't feel confident to offer any constructive feedback at the moment, I can't seem to work myself properly. :mad1:

But can I just babble on about what I like?

"I hear faint melodic fragments being played gracefully by a solitary child" - I dont
know what it is about this part of the sentence, but I really appreciate vivid imagery. For me, this sentence puts a soft emphasis on isolation and somewhat mirrors the main character?

As it has been said above, some things are described for simply the sake of it and don't really contribute to the narrative as a whole, but am by no means a teacher or marker.

From my own judgement I would award a 13-14 mark.

jennieTalia

HSC
Interesting perspective. Well, that's your view. It always doesn't work like that in Short Stories. It essentially depends on the genre and the type of the short story.

I personally though wrigin in present tense was fine with this story as it promotes a sense of action. Using a present tense allows the story to "closer ot the action" really.

True, but it can be more difficult to write in, and attempting to fit a story to the parameters when it is in present tense can be a chore.

Maybe I'm just regurgitating whatever my teacher advised me, without thinking about it in terms of different people!

HSC
First person is about characterisation.
You need to make everything in this story read like a character is telling it. Like the character is an old friend telling you about something that to him and you are just writing it down as he says it.

You do it at times, but the main energy of the story is in the first and last lines. The first will shape the way the reader approaches the piece. The last will shape the way they remember it.

It's a pretty story, but it needs work on the start and end.

lionking1191

HSC
i read only the first half so that's all i can comment on

firstly a problem with many students is that they tend to overdo the adjectives. they are nice, but having too much is like a chocolate cake with too much sugar.

eg. Autonomously I continue up a fatigued footpath and cross the adjacent street.

another criticism that i'd have would be that your story is too much of what it is.. an english writing piece.

the reflection bit is good, but again overdosing on it will quickly bore the reader. mix up your perspectives, try something new - what can you juxtapose/reinforce it with? engage the readers. your teachers are going to be sick of marking flowery stories, make them enjoy your story. atm i'd say you are at B+ to A- range. so 12~13

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Not always, my short story was in present tense and i always got close to/full marks for it. Present tense can really allow you to get deep into your characters thought patterns, and its different from the norm. Here i like it, it gives it an original feeling, though it does need some work.

georgefren

HSC
i disagree, ive always written in present tense. it allows you to explore the thought processes in a stream of consciousness way better than any other tense. and ive always gotten full marks in creatives, so nyah.

The story is good. i really liked it.
Next time try and make those descriptive passages less over-the-top with imagery because your in danger of overwriting.
A little longer would be prefered, but if thats coming in the adaption for exam q, then its alright.

I'd WOULD give it a 13-14, but it lacks punch. Its just not good at grabbing attention, and the close is just not interesting enough. So im going down to 12-13.

jennieTalia

HSC
i disagree, ive always written in present tense. it allows you to explore the thought processes in a stream of consciousness way better than any other tense. and ive always gotten full marks in creatives, so nyah.

The story is good. i really liked it.
Next time try and make those descriptive passages less over-the-top with imagery because your in danger of overwriting.
A little longer would be prefered, but if thats coming in the adaption for exam q, then its alright.

I'd WOULD give it a 13-14, but it lacks punch. Its just not good at grabbing attention, and the close is just not interesting enough. So im going down to 12-13.
Each to their own I guess!
However, I have yet to see a present tense piece of work that wouldn't benefit from an attempt in past tense!

bored of sc

HSC
Excellent criticism everyone. I am staying in the present tense and will edit carefully and repost. Cheers.

lionking1191

HSC
Each to their own I guess!
However, I have yet to see a present tense piece of work that wouldn't benefit from an attempt in past tense!
i did a dual perspective present tense vs. past tense story for human condition in y11. that turned out pretty well :p

Excellent criticism everyone. I am staying in the present tense and will edit carefully and repost. Cheers.
good to see someone who's willing to put in the effort to improve. keep it up and i'm confident u'll do great in the hsc

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
That said, in terms of this story, watch your adjectives and adverbs, remember "show, don't tell" and I have to admit, it's bordering on pretentious right now. You don't need to use "Autonoumously" in front of "I continue up a fatigued footpath and cross the adjacent street." In fact, you don't need a lot of your adverbs or adjectives. Strip this piece of them and see what you think. Yes, they display a good vocabulary but they weaken the narrative - which also is a lot of telling. For example, I want to see more of the girl in the park and less on how you feel about it. Good luck with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)