What you hate about UNSW (1 Viewer)

disko

Working Class Hero
HSC
I think I'll add "annoying lame singers blasting some half-verse song over and over" around the quad while I take a midterm to my list of hate.

just saw in mathews toilets, these new?

Last edited:

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Has anybody else noticed how other uni's copy our popular threads ?

:mad1:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Has anybody else noticed how other uni's copy our popular threads ?

:mad1:
We should all feel honoured.

By far, our UNSW forums are probably the last bastion of high posting-quality left on BOS.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I think I'll add "annoying lame singers blasting some half-verse song over and over" around the quad while I take a midterm to my list of hate.

just saw in mathews toilets, these new?
Going back to those signs which said do not stand on the toilet, I heard someone wrote something under those signs which said "We go to university and you think you need to tell us how to take a shit?"

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Im having some troubles conceptually with double and triple integral type questions.

If anybody knows how to do double and triple integrals, could you reply in this thread (or PM me)

Last edited:

Dota55

HSC
Hey Omium how did you find physics in your first semester?

I'm just wondering because it can be unbelievably frustrating at times.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Im having some troubles conceptually with double and triple integral type questions.

If anybody knows how to do double and triple integrals, could you reply in this thread (or PM me)
When I was doing MATH2111, I found the Schaums' outline book Vector Calculus reasonably useful. (I generally find Schaums' outlines books are fairly crap, but if you get a good one it is wonderful because they are cheap.) You might be able to get it from the bookshop.

Another fave of mine, which you may find interesting cause you're a physics student, is Snieder, R., A Guided Tour of Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences. My copy was an impulse buy from the UNSW bookshop, but they might have it in the library. (It wasn't until I read this book that I actually understood what the divergence is - and this was years after HD'ing SVC at uni!)

Last edited:

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Hey Omium how did you find physics in your first semester?

I'm just wondering because it can be unbelievably frustrating at times.
Its very frustrating initially.

It all seems overwhelming, make sure you understand the concepts behind the mathematics, and keep doing questions.

You'll know you're going to ace physics when you stumble upon a question and you think to yourself "this question seems familiar"

It can be discouraging when you keep getting questions wrong (like me initially) but when you pass that initial phase, things get much better.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
When I was doing MATH2111, I found the Schaums' outline book Vector Calculus reasonably useful. (I generally find Schaums' outlines books are fairly crap, but if you get a good one it is wonderful because they are cheap.) You might be able to get it from the bookshop.

Another fave of mine, which you may find interesting cause you're a physics student, is Snieder, R., A Guided Tour of Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences. My copy was an impulse buy from the UNSW bookshop, but they might have it in the library. (It wasn't until I read this book that I actually understood what the divergence is - and this was years after HD'ing SVC at uni!)
Thanks man. I will look up both of them.

Could i just ask you 2 questions.

(These are the first few questions of double integrals we have so they are supposed to be the easy ones)

1) Using the double integral method find the area between the curves x^2 and x^3 from 0 to 1.

I can get my limits right but what the heck is the function i integrate over?

As in what is f(x,y). I tried integrating over "1" and then integrating over "x^2 - x^3" both times were wrong.

2) There is this center of mass question, it says "density is constant" I understand what this means, i replaced the density function with a constant "k" however the final answer was independant of any constant. (answer was 1/12)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC

(These are the first few questions of double integrals we have so they are supposed to be the easy ones)

1) Using the double integral method find the area between the curves x^2 and x^3 from 0 to 1.

As in what is f(x,y). I tried integrating over "1" and then integrating over "x^2 - x^3" both times were wrong.

2) There is this center of mass question, it says "density is constant" I understand what this means, i replaced the density function with a constant "k" however the final answer was independant of any constant. (answer was 1/12)
1) doesn't look like a double integral question at all..??? Normally you'd be given some function in two variables and an area to integrate over (not an interval). x^2 and x^3 are both functions in one variable (obviously). But anyway,

[maths]\int_0^1 x^2-x^3\,dx=\left[\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{x^4}{4}\right]_0^1=\left(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4}\right)=\frac{1}{12}[/maths]

If that's not what the book gives then I think they screwed the question up.

2) centre of mass for constant density is independent of density... like, no matter how light or heavy something is, if it's the same size and shape the centre of mass will be the same. It's probably easiest to choose 1 :)

Last edited:

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
do we actually have to switch to zmail? lol.
You'll automatically be switched if you don't switch yourself. You can access unimail emails for the rest of the year but you won't be able to use it to send or receive any more.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Going back to those signs which said do not stand on the toilet, I heard someone wrote something under those signs which said "We go to university and you think you need to tell us how to take a shit?"
someone drew a cock on one of the figures showing someone taking a shit on a toilet seat and someone else wrote something like 'primary school was reserved for people of your maturity'

good lolz at matthews

polar and cartesian coordinates, centroids, moments of inertia, switching order of integration.
for double integrals only.
pahor showed us this cool method involving tracers and bullets, hard to show online.

if the density is constant, then you may place 'k' or whatever symbol represents density outside the integral as a constant.
if it happens to be variable like a function e.g. 6x2 + 4x - 3 then unfortunately it must be integrated with the area.

1) doesn't look like a double integral question at all..??? Normally you'd be given some function in two variables and an area to integrate over (not an interval). x^2 and x^3 are both functions in one variable (obviously). But anyway,

int_0^1 x^2-x^3 dx
=[x^3/3-x^4/4]_0^1
=(1/3-1/4)
=1/12

If that's not what the book gives then I think they screwed the question up.

2) centre of mass for constant density is independent of density... like, no matter how light or heavy something is, if it's the same size and shape the centre of mass will be the same. It's probably easiest to choose 1 :)
Show them online!

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Omium has 3 textbooks, a tute sheet and 4.5 hours.

Can he learn double and triple integrals perfectly by then ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)