Whatever happens tomorrow won't change your life (1 Viewer)

Hatake88

HSC
Hi guys,
I know a lot of you are nervous about tomorrow but believe me - whatever mark you get does not determine the rest of your life or even the rest of your degree. I screwed up my HSC fairly badly (ATAR was in the 80s) but am now a third year student going onto their fourth year of study in a combined law degree. After the first lot of assessment marks are out (so like 5-6 weeks into your first semester), your HSC mark is rarely (if ever) discussed. After your first year, your HSC mark becomes almost entirely irrelevant - I've known people who got fairly average ATARs but went into engineering, commerce, law etc. after their first year at a G08 due to a good GPA. E.g. ~70 GPA is good enough to get you into commerce/economics at Usyd even if your ATAR was <85. When it comes to finding internships/work experience, no one has ever looked at my HSC marks and I work in a big firm.

I know how most of you guys are feeling because, three years ago, I sat on the sofa nearly crying minutes after my ATAR came out. Believe me I know how it feels for some of you but things can and will change! I know most of us on BoS will do quite well but I hope my post can help bring some perspective for those who will be disappointed tomorrow.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you fail to reach your goal ATAR that enables you to get into your course, there is always internal/external transfer!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
>messed up atar badly
> over 80 atar

to be fair though, when i was doing my HSC, i was aiming for 95+, and if i got 80 as my atar

i would've... yeah - well i'm not going to post what i would've done or may have considered doing because... it's a ~sensitive time~ and i don't want to give any of y'all any ideas

but i would've been very... sad and disappointed, because i set very high expectations for myself

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
to be fair though, when i was doing my HSC, i was aiming for 95+, and if i got 80 as my atar

i would've... yeah - well i'm not going to post what i would've done or may have considered doing because... it's a ~sensitive time~ and i don't want to give any of y'all any ideas

but i would've been very... sad and disappointed, because i set very high expectations for myself
Even thinking about doing it at the time is an extremely serious issue.

I'm going to post this number for everyone's cause (Lifeline): 13 11 14

Hatake88

HSC
Very inspirational. Please guide me through life.
lol. I am not trying to sound like the know-it-all...just trying to help ease some people's minds as I know its a stressful time.

As for 80s being a bad ATAR, I came from an expensive private school where the average was close to 90. Considering my circumstances my ATAR was poor but that is taking my background into context...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Even thinking about doing it at the time is an extremely serious issue.

I'm going to post this number for everyone's cause (Lifeline): 13 11 14
I dunno, I feel it's okay to think about those things, it's another matter if you take them seriously and really dwell on it, because if you do that, you might get stupid epiphanies like "hey, doing that is a great idea!"

I think restricting thinking and imagination and the mind is just a bad thing in general

I think it's good to let your mind roam freely to many scenarios, but you need to have that mental check to put aside all the stupid ideas, and to put them aside quickly before you think they're great ideas

Focus is Key

HSC
Yeah no one should be thinking about that- emotional reactions and feeling upset is common, but to such an extent is an issue. I don't think it's okay- like I think if you've thought about all your options properly it should not be an issue unless there are mental concerns.

HSC
Uni Grad
Well if one fucks up the HSC, then ignore it and just try to think about the future. As some of you may have learned in economics, ignore sunk costs. Think about what you can do with the opportunities in the future and how you can solve the next upcoming problems (i.e. trying to get DN/HD wam, internships, part-time job, graduate job offers, exchange, etc.). The HSC is only one step into the real world where you can generally get by through studying and doing well. In university and the real world it's a lot worse (especially when dealing with other human beings) so I highly suggest you think of ways to tackle through and focus on your future. I.e. if you didn't make it into the course, what course should I take and what subjects I should take in order to boost my WAM to make that internal program transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)