Whats everyone doing in the holidays? (1 Viewer)

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
I suggested these things because a lot of teens like playing video games so why can't people use this as an outlet for a little bit of fun while they are studying? Doing 4-5 hours of study a day is more than sufficient at this time of the HSC. What you are suggesting with 5-10 minute breaks is studying like 8 hours a day which is too much I would say considering you have 6-7 weeks of holidays. I don't get your whole point about short attention spans and losing focus, you are just stereotyping all teenagers as being mindless and not being able to control themselves after they see a meme. If someone really cared about their atar I'm sure they would have some self control and actually get to work. That's why in my last line I said you must be focused in that 1 hour time. Is it better to do 8 hours of work with only 5 minute breaks where you become sluggish by the end of the day, or to be fully focused for 4-5 hours and still maintain your sanity and mind during those 6 weeks.
Suppose they played some video games after each hour study period. Then given the relaxation and happiness it entails, getting back to study would require a good amount of self control. Self control is limited, so why waste this supply of self control on reverting back to study every hour? You end up getting burnt out by this.

Why does the person have to study 8 hours a day? They could study for 4-5 as you've suggested, just shorter breaks so the transition from break-to-study is easier.

Most teenagers possess short attention spans. I think that I'm wrong here but it feels that teens are significantly more impulsive than adults which is the basis of that point. About meme, I don't know, but for youtube: due to it's diversity and convenience, it can easily pull you in after 1-2 videos ('just one more'). There are people who actually cared for their ATAR but cannot control themselves to study.

My whole argument is on the basis that you should, on average, stay at high concentration levels while in that study block of 4-5 hours. I think in that way, it's hard for you to get distracted and you get your work done quicker (since shorter breaks). Then consider entertainment options after this. I guess you can play and work simultaneously...

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Why are you getting offended because he provided an example of an activity that millions of teenagers like to do?
Not offended, just curious on why he thinks that the things that people want to do is watch youtube? 'do whatever you want like youtube'. The second part of my comment is just me sensing an unintentional and aggressive implicit message (same quote).

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Not offended, just curious on why he thinks that the things that people want to do is watch youtube? 'do whatever you want like youtube'. The second part of my comment is just me sensing an unintentional and aggressive implicit message (same quote).
Youtube is just a common EXAMPLE, he's not going to be like "after your hour of study you can do whatever you want like read a book" but I don't get how you're getting from his post that he's forcing you to watch youtube. The main message from his post wasn't even that anyway it's that studying is important.

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Youtube is just a common EXAMPLE, he's not going to be like "after your hour of study you can do whatever you want like read a book" but I don't get how you're getting from his post that he's forcing you to watch youtube. The main message from his post wasn't even that anyway it's that studying is important.
'do whatever you want' means we are in the realm of activities that we want to do.

'like youtube', so given the above, this is the activity he is suggesting. You would only say this is you knew the person or you knew what they did in their spare time, but how can this guy know that we would want to watch youtube in our spare time?

Here are two examples:

Talking to a friend you know that reads books: he says that he's bored, you response by saying 'do whatever you want, like read a book!'.

Talking to a stranger: they say that they're bored, you repond by saying 'do whatever you want, like watch youtube'.

Can you see that this suggestion could be useless if the stranger doesn't like to watch youtube in their state of boredom (free time)?

HoldingOn

HSC
'do whatever you want' means we are in the realm of activities that we want to do.

'like youtube', so given the above, this is the activity he is suggesting. You would only say this is you knew the person or you knew what they did in their spare time, but how can this guy know that we would want to watch youtube in our spare time?

Here are two examples:

Talking to a friend you know that reads books: he says that he's bored, you response by saying 'do whatever you want, like read a book!'.

Talking to a stranger: they say that they're bored, you repond by saying 'do whatever you want, like watch youtube'.

Can you see that this suggestion could be useless if the stranger doesn't like to watch youtube in their state of boredom (free time)?
Who cares? If you don't like his advice disregard it. In your interpretation I think you may have missed the word 'like' although it has been italicised in your previous posts- it is suggestive rather than commanding...

Last edited:

zocdae

HSC
I see on your signature that your aim is 99+. This is no easy feat. If you want to achieve this goal you better get started now as this is probably the most useful time of year since you are not being bombarded with homework and exams like you will be in coming terms. Achieving a 99 atar is something that requires an immense amount of work i.e. Essentially if you don't go to a top 50 school, it will most likely require you to be first in every single subject and then after that you have to go to the HSC and perform. From here on whatever happens in terms of your atar depends solely on you, you can either work really hard and efficiently, or be like many people whose goals never come to fruition because they were never fully committed to these.
You're absolutely right and that's why i'm starting today. Thanks for pulling my head in bud ;).

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Who cares? If you don't like his advice disregard it. In your interpretation I think you may have missed the word 'like' although it has been italicised in your previous posts- it is suggestive rather than commanding...
I'm just questioning it.

Yes, I agree it is suggestive; I even had the word 'suggestion' so not sure why you think that I think he made a commanding statement. But it's boldly assuming that we like to watch youtube videos in your spare time which my examples highlighted.

I really want to clarify this. Am I wrong or right? This is really pedantic of me (pinpointing a flaw in a simple statement) but doesn't matter.

Last edited:

tsoliman1

HSC
I'm just questioning it.

Yes, I agree it is suggestive; I even had the word 'suggestion' so not sure why you think that I think he made a commanding statement. But it's boldly assuming that we like to watch youtube videos in your spare time which my examples highlighted.

I really want to clarify this. Am I wrong or right? This is really pedantic of me (pinpointing a flaw in a simple statement) but doesn't matter.
wtf dude lol. Just ignore what he said and move on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)