what's law like at uws? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
not sure on international studies,
but law at UWS is pretty good.

granted it is not as prestigious as other universities, (being only 10 or so years old), i'd say the reputation will only improve.

it's the same llb units as you would have at other universities.

astroe

HSC
UWS doesn't offer International Studies/Law. The closest thing would be Arts.

And yeah, I do have to agree Law at UWS is pretty good. You'll end up with a comprehensive and well planned learning experience.
The majority of lecturers have been at a variety of other institutions and are experienced within their field, they write the textbooks etc.

One notable thing is that the majority of Law units are offered as seminars, so a 3 hour block, instead of a 2 hour lecture/1 hour tutorial arrangement.

timme

HSC
UWS doesn't offer International Studies/Law. The closest thing would be Arts.

And yeah, I do have to agree Law at UWS is pretty good. You'll end up with a comprehensive and well planned learning experience.
The majority of lecturers have been at a variety of other institutions and are experienced within their field, they write the textbooks etc.

One notable thing is that the majority of Law units are offered as seminars, so a 3 hour block, instead of a 2 hour lecture/1 hour tutorial arrangement.
thanks for your reply...
Will going to UWS to study law affect my employment prospects, when compared to someone who went to usyd/unsw/uts...Or is it all the same at the end of the day?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
thanks for your reply...
Will going to UWS to study law affect my employment prospects, when compared to someone who went to usyd/unsw/uts...Or is it all the same at the end of the day?
You won't be in the same league as USYD, UNSW or UTS grads in terms of employment, although that has nothing to do with your ability, just prestige.

You'll get a job, but probably not at one of the major Firms, unless you do REALLY well.

astroe

HSC
^ Yeah, that.

Although if you were averaging around a Distinction, and had experience in law firms, wide experience in sport/societies, did volunteer work, etc, then you'd have the edge in comparison with people from the prestigious universities who are averaging a Pass, with none of the other things.

Firms are looking for more than marks, they now look for experience and how well rounded you are as a person, hence the volunteering stuff.

HSC
N/A
i'll be frank,
top tier's probably wouldn't look favourably upon UWS graduates (although Freehills are starting to)
but everything else (mid tier, government etc) should be all good given that you have decent marks and that you're a sociable character.

timme

HSC
thanks for your assistance! I have a guaranteed place in law here because I dux'd the year in year 11.
I'm really interested in exchange programs -- does the university have relations with overseas universities?
also, would anyone know what the language courses are like here? eg, german/french

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
If you got dux in year 11, you may have a good shot at UTS law. They have a Law/Int Studies degree, with a decent rep(I believe...)
Check it out Here :).

astroe

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)