• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Whats the best dvd playing software/ codec? (2 Viewers)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
So i recently started watching family guy season 6 on my computer and i bought this monitor for the specific reason of watching movies in my room.

The thing is, the software iam currently using [nero showtime or some such prepackaged shit] works just fine, but its kind of shit resolution.

it looks like its about 700 * shit where as i want something about 1600* 1200 ish [whatever the widescreen one is]

also its gotta have a few decent options on it, not some shitheap basic player and should be able to handle most dvds i own [ unlike wmp pfft]

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
WMP seems to handle DVDs quite well?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
yeah...if you have an internet connection wmp bombed out with some bullshit error and i dont get my net in until after new years. Vlc is great and all dont get me wrong, but it didnt handle this dvd either and i want something a bit flashier with better resolution ya know?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I don't think its a software problem....? Maybe a user one but not a software, if you can't change to a higher res, then thats your problem not the program.

If you double click the main pictue in VLC it'll go fullscreen...TADA!

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Also, on some 'newer' monitors, you may notice DVDs are not as good, simply because the newer monitor may be better suited to more higher quality output (such as Blu-ray). If you have a TV tuner card, then you'll notice that watching a HD digital tv channel will produce a clearer output than most DVDs.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
downloading it now, thanks for the reccomendation guess we see how it goes. It looked pretty good from the website

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
jasee said:
Also, on some 'newer' monitors, you may notice DVDs are not as good, simply because the newer monitor may be better suited to more higher quality output (such as Blu-ray). If you have a TV tuner card, then you'll notice that watching a HD digital tv channel will produce a clearer output than most DVDs.
Thats most likely the problem... my monitor is a new model, 222h and its natural resolution is something like 1650 x 1200ish, obviously the dvd is going to look like shit when its designed to run at something like 700x 600 on a slightly larger tv. my monitor also has component as well as s video inputs so iam wondering if maybe i should just hook it up to a dvd player and watch movies like that? it would probably look a lot better, but it seems like a waste of space when my dvd drive does basically the same thing

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its not really going to matter how you hook it up because your source is still going to look shit.

Unless you're dealing in HD-DVD/Blu-ray, or something which outputs into a 720p/1080p signal, you're not going to have much luck. Its like playing a 128 CBR mp3 through a $10,000 sound system, its going to sound shit no matter what you use because your source is shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)