What's the deal with accelerating subjects? (1 Viewer)

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
i wish i knew about it, my school doesnt do it aswell :(

jet

Banned
HSC
Another good aspect of accelerating is that you tend to be more studious towards your work because of a whole host of reasons..

Say, you may talk with your friends and not take the subject too seriously to be bothered but when you're accelerating, that changes.

When I accelerated Music 2/Ext in Year 7/8, I didn't know ANYONE so I found it really stressful. On top of that, you can kind of imagine me in year seven with all these year elevens around me :haha: I suppose same applied to maths ext. 1/2
This.

They recommend that you only accelerate students in groups so that they have companions etc. to share in the process. I accelerated by myself. That made it quite stressful, and I nearly packed it in a number of times, but I'm glad i didn't.

She doesn't have to do a distinction course, and as youngminii said, they may not be on next year. I do cosmology, and from my conversations with the coordinator, they won't be running and the Board of Studies has put forward no plans whatsoever for replacement courses/opportunities.

If they are on, by some stroke of good chance, there is no course more challenging, stressful and rewarding out there. It will chew into her time like crazy, and it seems like a mammoth amount of work to begin with. But it is definitely excellent preparation for Uni. We have to write essays to a university standard, and they are marked the same way. It's an invaluable experience.
Lol, but namu may say otherwise.

kwabon

Banned
HSC
I think if someone chooses to accelerate in a subject, say Economics, they have done so because they find that subject interesting. So its not to hard to do a subject 1 or 2 or 6 years ahead because you find it interesting.

I myself am accelerated in mathematics and am finding it quite easy because i enjoy mathematics.

The whole purpose of acceleration is to give people who learn fast the ability to be able to work at the level they are at and at the rate they can. Dont misconstrue, this is not everyone, in fact, only a minority of people are capable of acceleration. This is because the school system has been made to help the majority of students. So you have some students who learn at an above average rate as much as you have some people who learn at a below average rate. This is why both acceleration and repetition has been designed.
by saying minority of the people are capable of acceleration i am thinking only a few selected students. if you mean that then you are wrong. anyone can do acceleration, all you have to do is ask, the teachers cannot say no and thats how you are supposed to get it.

kwabon

Banned
HSC
Another good aspect of accelerating is that you tend to be more studious towards your work because of a whole host of reasons..

Say, you may talk with your friends and not take the subject too seriously to be bothered but when you're accelerating, that changes.

When I accelerated Music 2/Ext in Year 7/8, I didn't know ANYONE so I found it really stressful. On top of that, you can kind of imagine me in year seven with all these year elevens around me :haha: I suppose same applied to maths ext. 1/2
wtf???!! you cant do that. the schools are not supposed to start acceleration from year 7/8 thats fucked. proper acceleration starts at year 10 or 11. by skipping most of our year 7 and 8 classes you losing essential basic learning, grammar and maths. by skipping all of these or just going through them in like 2 weeks will stuff you up especially in uni. thats one of the reasons on why i dont like/didnt go to james ruse.

i just hope that you guys didnt accelerate in maths in year 8/9. just simply cannot imagine little pipsqueaks actually trying to learn extension 2.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
by saying minority of the people are capable of acceleration i am thinking only a few selected students. if you mean that then you are wrong. anyone can do acceleration, all you have to do is ask, the teachers cannot say no and thats how you are supposed to get it.
The dictionary defines minority as "the smaller part or number; a number, part, or amount forming less than half of the whole."

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
wtf???!! you cant do that. the schools are not supposed to start acceleration from year 7/8 thats fucked. proper acceleration starts at year 10 or 11. by skipping most of our year 7 and 8 classes you losing essential basic learning, grammar and maths. by skipping all of these or just going through them in like 2 weeks will stuff you up especially in uni. thats one of the reasons on why i dont like/didnt go to james ruse.
Why wouldn't the schools be able to start acceleration from year 7/8? The whole point of acceleration is to cater for gifted and/or talented students. There should not be a label like year 7 or 9 or year 20 because gifted/talented students learn at an above average rate, and so trying to keep them in a specific year is not going to be beneficial.

It appears that you are under the impression that for acceleration you just learn the work and skip a year or something. This is not the case. Although i do know that some selective schools allow acceleration and have it essentially as an elective option. This is because there's more talented students at selective schools than there is at normal public schools.

And could you clarify why you protest James Ruse? James Ruse is a school that has a lot of gifted/talented students who have both the desire, motivation and ability to work at a faster rate than average. And from my understanding of their curriculum they don't "just going through them in like 2 week". They also provide many extra-curricular activities such as maths club or science Olympiad training to cater for extremely talented students.

HSC

i just hope that you guys didnt accelerate in maths in year 8/9. just simply cannot imagine little pipsqueaks actually trying to learn extension 2.
There was a guy at my school named Paul who accelerated ext 2 maths in year 7 and 8..
he got 96 i think?
he was 16 when he graduated last year..

and when i was in primary school..two of my friends did like this maths accelerated program with the local high school which was just down the road..so when they were in year 4 they started year 7..

Last edited:

kwabon

Banned
HSC
Why wouldn't the schools be able to start acceleration from year 7/8? The whole point of acceleration is to cater for gifted and/or talented students. There should not be a label like year 7 or 9 or year 20 because gifted/talented students learn at an above average rate, and so trying to keep them in a specific year is not going to be beneficial.

It appears that you are under the impression that for acceleration you just learn the work and skip a year or something. This is not the case. Although i do know that some selective schools allow acceleration and have it essentially as an elective option. This is because there's more talented students at selective schools than there is at normal public schools.

And could you clarify why you protest James Ruse? James Ruse is a school that has a lot of gifted/talented students who have both the desire, motivation and ability to work at a faster rate than average. And from my understanding of their curriculum they don't "just going through them in like 2 week". They also provide many extra-curricular activities such as maths club or science Olympiad training to cater for extremely talented students.
There was a guy at my school named Paul who accelerated ext 2 maths in year 7 and 8..
he got 96 i think?
he was 16 when he graduated last year..

and when i was in primary school..two of my friends did like this maths accelerated program with the local high school which was just down the road..so when they were in year 4 they started year 7..
now its actually board of studies requirement that you complete years 7 - 9 without any acceleration. so "officially" you can only start accelerating when you are in year 10. obviously many schools, dont follow this to an extent. they accelerate kids, but dont allow them to sit the actual HSC until year 10 i suppose. anywho, if i were to be offered acceleration in year 7,8,or 9 i will bluntly reject it, because why on earth would you actually start worrying about the HSC then. leave the HSCs for the seniors, enjoy and have fun in the junior years, imo.

to kurt. physics. mate i understand that James Ruse has "talented" kids. if you think acceleration is a means of dicriminating the "talented" kids from the "normal" (you can say that i suppose) then you are throughly mistaken. Acceleration is by no means of showing good you actually are in maths or physics or chemistry. HSC is just a small part of the education you will receive in the upcoming years. "This is because there's more talented students at selective schools than there is at normal public schools." if you actually mean that i reckon you are the most pretentious prick on earth. Obviously juding tfrom that opinion you havent studied in a public school. "The whole point of acceleration is to cater for gifted and/or talented students." from that i am srsly starting to dislike you now. Mate, i go to a public school and according to you they are a few "talented" people in a public school, so lets say there are 10. out of the 60 people who accelerated in various subjects throughout the school 50 of them got a band 6, 8 were only 1 mark away from a band 6 and the rest got a band 5. check it up Parramatta Marist. we only (unfortunately) accelerate in mathematics and studies of religion. we got the highest success rate of getting a band 6 in mathematics in all of NSW, we were ranked in the top 10 in studies of religion (according to success of getting a band 6 in that subject). Our overall school rank was around 200s or so 2 years ago, and now we are ranked in the 60s.
i guess we are a bunch of talentless people, huh?
imho, i reckon there is no such thing as "talent" or "natural ability". if you are really smart in a particular subject, it is just that you have a extremely good foundation of the basics, and through this you can readily apply this knowledge.

HSC
now its actually board of studies requirement that you complete years 7 - 9 without any acceleration. so "officially" you can only start accelerating when you are in year 10. obviously many schools, dont follow this to an extent. they accelerate kids, but dont allow them to sit the actual HSC until year 10 i suppose. anywho, if i were to be offered acceleration in year 7,8,or 9 i will bluntly reject it, because why on earth would you actually start worrying about the HSC then. leave the HSCs for the seniors, enjoy and have fun in the junior years, imo.

to kurt. physics. mate i understand that James Ruse has "talented" kids. if you think acceleration is a means of dicriminating the "talented" kids from the "normal" (you can say that i suppose) then you are throughly mistaken. Acceleration is by no means of showing good you actually are in maths or physics or chemistry. HSC is just a small part of the education you will receive in the upcoming years. "This is because there's more talented students at selective schools than there is at normal public schools." if you actually mean that i reckon you are the most pretentious prick on earth. Obviously juding tfrom that opinion you havent studied in a public school. "The whole point of acceleration is to cater for gifted and/or talented students." from that i am srsly starting to dislike you now. Mate, i go to a public school and according to you they are a few "talented" people in a public school, so lets say there are 10. out of the 60 people who accelerated in various subjects throughout the school 50 of them got a band 6, 8 were only 1 mark away from a band 6 and the rest got a band 5. check it up Parramatta Marist. we only (unfortunately) accelerate in mathematics and studies of religion. we got the highest success rate of getting a band 6 in mathematics in all of NSW, we were ranked in the top 10 in studies of religion (according to success of getting a band 6 in that subject). Our overall school rank was around 200s or so 2 years ago, and now we are ranked in the 60s.
imho, i reckon there is no such thing as "talent" or "natural ability". if you are really smart in a particular subject, it is just that you have a extremely good foundation of the basics, and through this you can readily apply this knowledge.
citation needed please

because i was under the impression you could accumulate up to five years..so that would be hSC in year 8 which makes sense if you do preliminary in year 7..

and in response to enjoying junior years blah blah etc
it would probably be better for those who are already capable of undertaking the hsc to just finish part of it..i dont see why not

and i know for a fact that paul accelerated ext 2 maths in year 7/8..sat his hsc in year 8 and got 96..

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
citation needed please

because i was under the impression you could accumulate up to five years..so that would be hSC in year 8 which makes sense if you do preliminary in year 7..

and in response to enjoying junior years blah blah etc
it would probably be better for those who are already capable of undertaking the hsc to just finish part of it..i dont see why not

and i know for a fact that paul accelerated ext 2 maths in year 7/8..sat his hsc in year 8 and got 96..
Similar story for my friend too. He did 4 unit maths in year 9 and came 8th in the state - 99 :S. And he came to Australia in year 8 or something from NZ so I don't know what happened there..

kwabon

Banned
HSC
no no no, this regulation has been introduced quite recently, i will try to find this link, a couple of weeks ago i have read it somewhere .....

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I am not trying to discriminate any particular group of people, i am saying that acceleration offers students who are capable the ability to learn at a more comfortable rate. (and these students could be classified as talented, whether it be genius finish year 12 maths in year 8 or just do Studies of Religion 1 year ahead).

And you seam to be interpreting my use of the word talent incorrectly. I use it very loosely, i am just referring to anyone who is motivated to further themselves on an intellectual basis, someone who has the capacity for enrichment, someone who perseveres to learn. And so it seams only logical that there are more people who are motivated to learn at selective schools (by which they apply by their own free will) than at public schools which is basically mandatory (its just the convention). Note that this doesnt imply that there are not talented people at public schools, which i completely disagree.

And as a matter of fact, i have been going to a public school since i started kindergarten. My current school is ranked in the mid 400s.

The rest of your post is based on your false interpretation of mine. I am not trying to put a number on the amount of talented people, because i am of the firm belief their is many different types of talents and that no, talent is not something someone is born with, talent is just a persons willingness to perseveres at doing what they like.

Concerti

HSC

I'm afraid I did do that ~

Also, I don't appreciate how you make me out to be a liar..

On top of that..the 'simply cannot imagine little pipsqueaks actually trying to learn extension 2', music/ext = 97/48 and 3u/4u = 98/95 albeit with tutoring

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

On top of that..the 'simply cannot imagine little pipsqueaks actually trying to learn extension 2', music/ext = 97/48 and 3u/4u = 98/95 albeit with tutoring
ok, cool.

kwabon

Banned
HSC

i am not stating directly or indirectly your a liar. all i am saying is board of studies regulation that you are not supposed to start accelerating until year 10. that is why "you cant do that", then when i realised you did year 7/8 a couple of years, it was too late.
instantly regretted saying pipsqueaks, i will take back what i said.
btw another question, did everyone who accelerated with you got a band 6 in 4 unit, and did you get it in your first time sitting the 4 unit HSC?

kwabon

Banned
HSC
I am not trying to discriminate any particular group of people, i am saying that acceleration offers students who are capable the ability to learn at a more comfortable rate. (and these students could be classified as talented, whether it be genius finish year 12 maths in year 8 or just do Studies of Religion 1 year ahead).

And you seam to be interpreting my use of the word talent incorrectly. I use it very loosely, i am just referring to anyone who is motivated to further themselves on an intellectual basis, someone who has the capacity for enrichment, someone who perseveres to learn. And so it seams only logical that there are more people who are motivated to learn at selective schools (by which they apply by their own free will) than at public schools which is basically mandatory (its just the convention). Note that this doesnt imply that there are not talented people at public schools, which i completely disagree.

And as a matter of fact, i have been going to a public school since i started kindergarten. My current school is ranked in the mid 400s.

The rest of your post is based on your false interpretation of mine. I am not trying to put a number on the amount of talented people, because i am of the firm belief their is many different types of talents and that no, talent is not something someone is born with, talent is just a persons willingness to perseveres at doing what they like.
i completely agree with what you said at the end of your post.

your previous post wasnt trying to imply that "someone who perseveres to learn", so that is why i went off at you.

imo, acceleration should be kept until year 10, if you want to accelerate before, by all means go ahead, but only problem with that it deprives the meaning of being a kid. i am not saying acceleration is bad, i reckon it is the greatest thing ever introduced, helped me alot with the skills needed this year, i have already got a taste at being in HSC year, and thats what contributes to making your final year at school, alot more enjoyable whether or not you received that band 6.

So to OP, go forth with acceleration.:headbang:

Concerti

HSC
i am not stating directly or indirectly your a liar. all i am saying is board of studies regulation that you are not supposed to start accelerating until year 10. that is why "you cant do that", then when i realised you did year 7/8 a couple of years, it was too late.
instantly regretted saying pipsqueaks, i will take back what i said.
btw another question, did everyone who accelerated with you got a band 6 in 4 unit, and did you get it in your first time sitting the 4 unit HSC?
Nobody else accelerated with me....and yes
Although one other girl accelerated music in year 10 and sitting hsc this year
I think the school only offers acceleration to those with scholarships

Last edited:

theMoment

HSC
Nobody else accelerated with me....and yes
Although one other girl accelerated music in year 10 and sitting hsc this year
I think the school only offers acceleration to those with scholarships
just asking but do u go to james ruse?

duckcowhybrid

HSC
just asking but do u go to james ruse?
One. James Ruse is public, no scholarships. 2. James Ruse never accelerate ANYBODY in Year 7/8 unless they're disgustingly good RE: Joy Thompson who got like 1st in 2 Distinction Courses in separate years + 1st in Ag + 1st in Adv. Eng + 1st in French. And that was a real exception, and even then, she did HSC French in Year 9. Not Year 7/8. Although a few freaks of nature can do HSC Music 2 in Year 10. Regardless, JR don't accelerate anybody in Maths, guy in my grade got a Gold Medal in International Maths Olympiad even he doesn't accelerate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)