whats the most evil subject? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
english is easiest to score marks but hardest to score good marks.
Hmmm, yeah. Writing your introduction will get you 3/15. Fairly easy three marks to get there. But getting the three marks from 12-15, those are hard.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Hmmm, yeah. Writing your introduction will get you 3/15. Fairly easy three marks to get there. But getting the three marks from 12-15, those are hard.
what happens if I write intro and conclusion without any body paragraphs (just a few topic sentences)? Just curious

Dumbledore

HSC
what happens if I write intro and conclusion without any body paragraphs (just a few topic sentences)? Just curious
according to the marking guide, u'd get band 2 for every area as just about the only thing u can prove there is language fluency and structure so bout 4-5?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Wow.. That's generous.
4 to 5 marks already earned even before analysing anything

Dumbledore

HSC
anyone else seem to think markers have a biase on language fluency in english?
e.g. i wrote my first belonging essay and got 9/15, they put C range for all sections including content, in the trials i wrote it with better structure and fluency but witht he same content, and got A range for all sections, 14/15.
similar thing happened for my frankenstein, 8/20 - 14/20

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
e.g. i wrote my first belonging essay and got 9/15, they put C range for all sections including content, in the trials i wrote it with better structure and fluency but witht he same content, and got A range for all sections, 14/15.
Yea, I agree. Markers are just more impressed if the candidate's use of language is sophisticated. The deepest analysis would look really crap if worded terribly.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
4-5 marks? May be not. With intro + conclusion, that's immediate lowest band meaning 0-3 marks.
That makes more sense, I guess. But if really 4-5 marks are just given, ppl who get below 5 either couldn't be bothered to write or are handicapped.

Edit: in response to above post: That's for short story though. Essays could be different. Not sure though.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Out of my subjects... I know 4U maths will become the most evil Lol

Dumbledore

HSC
4-5 marks? May be not. With intro + conclusion, that's immediate lowest band meaning 0-3 marks.
my bad i read the lowest band as "non serious attempt" thinking it refered to 1-3
lol i never realised there was a speciific band for 0's

Dumbledore

HSC
Mathematics is just plain evil ! Mathematics doesnt let the teacher mark subjectively... Like for my other subjects (english, economics, legal studies and business studies), since I believe that im the teacher's favourite student I can write pages of crap and still get relatively high marks (above 90).

Whereas in mathematics... even though the teacher likes me and all if i put the wrong answer or irrelevant working out, i get zero! SO evil !
LOL that is exactly why mathematics is NOT evil!

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
OMG YES! English teachers are so biased.

I can hand in an almost near perfect essay (to me, that is) and get something like a C.
I can then hand in an essay I thought was terrible and they will give me like an A.

The strange thing about English is that sometimes the marking criteria:
- emphasises more on the structural elements of an essay rather than content
- and sometimes gives you more marks for content even if you didn't sustain your thesis throughout the essay

English sucks balls. Maths doesn't sucks balls. Mathematics is a subject free from the distortion of human judgement. That is, I know and I will get full marks. In English, I may think my essay is good but then end up with 7/15. Stupid english.

boo92

HSC
Applies*

You do not need a natural aptitude for english, it is very simple. Regurgitate what you learn in class. Memorise essays you write for class and use them in exams etc.
regurgitating does not help - thats what you do for pe and sciences and stuff. english has to be written properly and thats where most people fall apart. most people know their stuff, they just dont know how to write it.

my least fav subject is physics - dropping it after yr 11 was equal best subject decision of my life - other was doing standard instead of advanced. physics is a heap of stuff that never has to get done. in maths for example, the questions will not answer themselves whereas in physics no matter what you do the world will still be the same. why know why the world is is its not gunna change anything?:confused:

Last edited:

Hannargh

HSC
For me it's Ancient History, it's interesting sometimes, but all the work and bits and pieces you have to remember, just too much!

vennmuch

HSC
I do agree English is the most evil subject. Only because it is so biased and demands thinking, and sophistication. LOL

I think you're missing the point here a bit, though. I mean, half of english is engaging by engaging the language with great sophistication... the other half is synthesis and analysis. So, saying markers are biased on people without language flair... yeah, I think they are, mainly because that's what they're there for.

definitely English and History.
All the bullshit subjects
LOL then why'd you choose all the humanities subjects ??

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
mx2 can have the most evil papers.
only thing worse is maybe an english paper where none of the text types required are essays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)