What's the most popular genre people are writing in? (1 Viewer)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
nichhhole said:
haha, then in that case im changing my concept to the experience of teenage pregnancy.
how would that hold up avec les parents?
haha :p

My ee2 class is actually inspired to get under the influence of prohibited substances and see what they come up with...
I've reserved the position of 'documenter'
hha.a
Haha, wow. We never got 'inspired' as such, but i sure want to see what I can come up with. Might be a bit dodgy though...

doofyduck01

HSC
sung said:
neo-colonial, dystopian satire huh? i'd like to say that such a thing does not exist but i am quite sure that it does if that is what your story is all about. My story is... well it doesnt exactly have a genre or follow any specific conventions. My official 'reasoning' for this is that i felt my story is capable of standing on its own, however the truth is that i couldnt really give a stuff about researching all that crap just so that i can say my work fits into a specific type of literature. A story is a story. I think that mine is an interesting read and that's all i ever really hoped for.
yeah totally, i was like awesome i can write a story about what i want and have creative freedom then they want me to research all this crap and then tie it into my studies in advanced english and extension 1. ahh i just want to write a good story, i shouldn't have all these constrictions, all i need is a word limit and lemme go!! haha:bomb:

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
1/ Teenage angst!
2/ stream of consciousness/ psychological freudian type thigns...
3/ Metaficiton[heres where i come in..]

wafflesnsorbet

HSC
Angst. Preferably postmodern angst. :)

Me, and 14783 other people in the state...

eh... I wouldn't write under influence. I'd probably either a) not wake up the next day or b) wake up in hospital. I walk into walls when I'm sober... I hate to see what I'd do when I'm drunk (or drugged).

jazzmuzik

HSC
i dont do ext 2.. but generally with any short story its better to write something simple (and maybe a little cliche) than to try too hard to be so "original" that it is embarassingly cliche... my advice keep it simple but well written
make sense?

jimmayyy

HSC
wafflesnsorbet said:
Angst. Preferably postmodern angst. :)

Me, and 14783 other people in the state...

eh... I wouldn't write under influence. I'd probably either a) not wake up the next day or b) wake up in hospital. I walk into walls when I'm sober... I hate to see what I'd do when I'm drunk (or drugged).
best stuff ive ever written was in the 3-4 days after i got my wisdom teeth out and i was on hectic pain killers.

i still find i write my best stuff whilst high and/or scattered

marthastuart

HSC
No idea what I'm writing actually... I've noticed a lot of teen angst though, pure unadulterated "I'm a tortured artist and nobody gets me." at my school. Horrid stuff. Comedy seems to be popular but very rarely well pulled off, Gothicism, Society, all common as well.

doofyduck01

HSC
I'm going with an exploration into the realms of the afterlife...don't know if anyone else is doing it??? themes like grief, religion vs spirituality and that kinda stuff...

marthastuart

HSC
idling fire said:
Sci Fi/historical fiction. Stupid n00b in my class stole my main concept... *pulls laser gun*
If mine and David Blaine's powers of deduction are correct, I know who you are. I'm in your class.

Also, I've found that satire is loved by markers, but it's done too often with fail.

idling fire

HSC
marthastuart said:
If mine and David Blaine's powers of deduction are correct, I know who you are. I'm in your class.
I have now made an educated guess about your identity. Although I don't know if you are correct to begin with... :p

Last edited:

marthastuart

HSC
Of course I'm correct, when am I ever wrong?... of course just for safety reasons, T1/\/\BER?

marthastuart

HSC
fuck no. I pretty much just made it up over the last fifteen minutes... still a four minute presentation isn't hard considering i did a six minute on the nature of heroes in revenge tradgedy on three points.

frenchymm

HSC
I don't know what is perfectly acceptable. But my story is much more political and modern than most. (I think)

flea1990

HSC
N/A
Mine's Postmodern Sci-fi. Least, that's what my teacher says; so I'm going with that. I'm in the middle of a huge Editing crisis and my Reflection is due right after the f***ing trials!!! Haven't started of course...

The other guy in my course (there's only two of us in the whole school) is doing Hictorical fiction.

Most people in this thread reckon the best way to go is to pick a genre you feel comfortable with. I did the exact opposite!!! I chose the genre I have the least affiliation with, researched it, subverted the conventions and came up with my work! I guess choosing genre also comes down to what you feel capable of doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)