What's the most popular genre people are writing in? (1 Viewer)

aileenli

HSC
what are the most popular genres that ee2 people write about? is it better write about something that everyone is already doing or to be unique? i really need to know. my ee2 teacher said that most people seem to do stories with a LOT of flashbacks etc and straight narratives are very rare. Also what is the average mark for your school?

i still havent got an idea about what i'd like to do because i'd like to stand out i guess but i dont want my story to be completely off the mark.

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
aileenli said:
what are the most popular genres that ee2 people write about? is it better write about something that everyone is already doing or to be unique? i really need to know. my ee2 teacher said that most people seem to do stories with a LOT of flashbacks etc and straight narratives are very rare. Also what is the average mark for your school?

i still havent got an idea about what i'd like to do because i'd like to stand out i guess but i dont want my story to be completely off the mark.
It's best to be as original as you possibly can. The reason why most teachers tell students to avoid writing about teen angst is because so many students write about it every year and they usually do it quite poorly too. It doesn't matter what style you write in - if you're comfortable with it and you can produce the best piece of writing that you possibly can, then that's what counts. No point in writing in a style that 'gets marks' if you're not comfortable with it.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
aileenli said:

But on your attempt for originality, make sure your writing about something you either genuinely find interesting, or genuinely enjoy. It will make researching easier, and let your story flow better.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Rather than say to yoursellf, "Ok, I'm going to write in a postmodernist style", try writing in general first. Just writing. Then you can look back when you have something substantial, and see whether or not your writing reflects naturally a postmodernist style.

You may find you write postmodernism without trying, or, you may find your natural writing abilities go against the grain and principles of postmodernism. In the latter case, forcing yourself to write postmodernismmight be detrimental, but that's not to say you couldn't get 50/50 for doing so - after all, ex2 is all about challenges.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
ScottyGs right. I don'y think it's fun or even effective to deliberately try ad be pomo. Just write how you need to write.

makemyangelfly

HSC
I think my genre could be termed transgressive (pushing the boundaries of what society finds acceptable). I am writing about child abuse and have several explicit scenes of it occurring. I was lucky to find something to write about that I feel passionate about and isn't too mainstream that I will sound like a drone of anyone who has gone before me.

Good luck, may you always be as brilliant as you are now.

Trillium

HSC
Magical realism, wot.

I agree though- writing what you want, what interests you, is better than setting out to be postmod/ fantasy/ whatever.
Postmodern as a genre annoys me, i think.

sung

HSC
dasphoebus said:
Mine's just a story, but I'm calling it neo-colonial, dystopian satire.
neo-colonial, dystopian satire huh? i'd like to say that such a thing does not exist but i am quite sure that it does if that is what your story is all about. My story is... well it doesnt exactly have a genre or follow any specific conventions. My official 'reasoning' for this is that i felt my story is capable of standing on its own, however the truth is that i couldnt really give a stuff about researching all that crap just so that i can say my work fits into a specific type of literature. A story is a story. I think that mine is an interesting read and that's all i ever really hoped for.

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
I had no intention of labelling it as that, but it just evolved that way. Looks great on paper as well.

aileenli

HSC
wow i forgot i started this thread...feels weird looking back at what i wrote when i first began the course.

of course, i ended up writing a story that borders on teen angst, but is more postmodern-surrealistic than anything, eg, sun starts melting etc.

only three more days to go people!!! hang in there.

renton

HSC
new millenium gonzo journalism for me - newly invented title (first part at least)

blamethesystem

alpha and omega
HSC
aileenli said:
wow i forgot i started this thread...feels weird looking back at what i wrote when i first began the course.

of course, i ended up writing a story that borders on teen angst, but is more postmodern-surrealistic than anything, eg, sun starts melting etc.

only three more days to go people!!! hang in there.
haha same, damn that teen angst, so hard to avoid. hopefully mines "sophisticated" enough
*sigh* only 3 days! i still need an ending!/ plotline!!!! :worried:

aileenli

HSC
i still need to redo my ending, finish editing and start on a reflection statement. have you thought of a title yet?

Dio-Rama

HSC
genre is kinda in the middle of psychological, horror, crime-ish, but it focuses on the victims side than crime.
totally screwed for a title and reflection statement is only like 900 words long and crap. got a lot of work to do in 2 days.
any general ideas for a title
girl gets captured by her uncle and kept in a cell and tortured, while mum dies in hospital from cancer. really need ideas.

fallen-angel

HSC
I chose to write in the genre of gay fiction. i regret it SO much, it is SO hard to find texts!!!

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
hey fallen angel, that's pretty interesting

The L word as a text to look at ? I know it's not quite "gay"... more lesbian orientated but you know ... it would be quite an interesting one to look at.

As for me, i'm composing a hybrid genre of [FONT=&quot] romance, adventure, tragedy, with a subplot of crime fiction wrapped in a parcel containing bibliographical elements.

currently i'm finishing up my story with edit #4 and have written the majority of my reflection

then to do the biography to enclose within journal #2
ew. i can't wait for it to all die :)
[/FONT]

Evercursed

Troubled Thinker
HSC
So what do you think of an appropiation of the fantasy genre that deals with modern concerns such as society's attitudes towards gay and lesbian relationships, as well as the bigotry and ignorance of humanity in general? I currently have that idea in mind for my extension 2 major work next year, and I don't know whether this idea would be overused or not.

HSC
N/A
genres themselves are rarely "overused" - now if you chose a highly popular/overdone CONCEPT then I'd be concerned, but as things are I say just go for it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)