What's the point of learning the syllabus off by heart? (1 Viewer)

Aysce

HSC
What's the point of doing this? My teacher tells me to do it and I notice some BOSers are also doing it but why?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Because that's actually what your being tested on. They can only test you on things from the syllabus, so you need to know it all.Not word for word, but all the content in it.

interesting

HSC
N/A
Everything tested will be from the syllabus & since we don't know specifically which parts of the syllabus.. it's better to learn the whole thing off by heart

Aysce

HSC
Everything tested will be from the syllabus & since we don't know specifically which parts of the syllabus.. it's better to learn the whole thing off by heart
No I mean actually memorizing the dot points

Aysce

HSC
okay let me clarify. Say if there is a dotpoint saying : identify the functions of Organelles, what benefits me from memorizing the exact words Of that dotpoint?

interesting

HSC
N/A
okay let me clarify. Say if there is a dotpoint saying : identify the functions of Organelles, what benefits me from memorizing the exact words Of that dotpoint?
this. Don't have to memorise the given dot point, its just there to tell you what you should know so just know what content and information comes from it

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Nothing necessarily. As long as you understand the meaning behind it.

enoilgam

HSC
What's the point of doing this? My teacher tells me to do it and I notice some BOSers are also doing it but why?
For each subject its different. In sciences and maths, its extremely important. In humanities, its not as important (except maybe economics).

Aysce

HSC
Alright thanks, spared me some of the pain :D

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Also I have seen questions that of if not exact, similar to the format of the dot points. If you can provide a cogent response in your answer I guess that's a few easy marks.

Zeroes

HSC
I think when they say memorize they mean know really well what's on it and know info for each dot point really well. If they meant memorizing it word for word then that seems incredibly pointless to me.

michaeljennings

HSC
For business studies, doing well requires knowing your syllabus word for word, whilst most of the content is self explanatory/common sense. Basically all the short answers & extended responses require you to recall and use the exact terms of the syllabus

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
For business studies, doing well requires knowing your syllabus word for word, whilst most of the content is self explanatory/common sense. Basically all the short answers & extended responses require you to recall and use the exact terms of the syllabus
Yeah, business is definitely a 'regurgitate the syllabus' type subject.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
You also need to STRUCTURE your response. If you have a look at for example the Physics examination papers, the questions they give you for example in the 2007 HSC Physics paper Q20 and COMPARE this with the syllabus dot point! LOOK! SAME THING except one word. So BOS don't want students to babble answers on the spot. They want a structured response. None of that vomit stuff.

Though it is more important to understand the content, I think it's just as important as writing a response that gels. The question is given to you already in the syllabus dot point, they don't expect messy responses.

Last edited:

jack487

HSC
when you say 'understand' what if its biology? whats there to understand? so then we have to really memorise the syllabus?

loaves

HSC
A lot of the time, the wording of questions is taken straight from the syllabus. Obviously it's in your interest to be familiar enough with the syllabus that you aren't surprised by these questions and know exactly what you have to say to answer them.

But there's no point in sitting down and purposefully memorising it word for word - if you're studying properly, you'll basically have it memorised by the end of the year anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)