What's the point (1 Viewer)

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Just a thought:

Why do people bother buying base models in luxury cars, like 320i and A4 2.0...or the 1.8T for the newbies...I mean, when you buy those cars, you are just buying the badge...no techs whatsoever...

And is it just me or are the people who drive those the same ones who act all snobbish??

Maybe I'm just being mean saying this...

Pace_T

HSC
they pay the premium so that they can say that their car is better than an equivalent japanese car, duh.

also, the ones that i find to be most snobbish are the ones that drive the most expensive cars e.g. amgs. extra snobbish if they drive those bmw merc or porsche 4wds.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
SipSip said:
Just a thought:

Why do people bother buying base models in luxury cars, like 320i and A4 2.0...or the 1.8T for the newbies...I mean, when you buy those cars, you are just buying the badge...no techs whatsoever...

And is it just me or are the people who drive those the same ones who act all snobbish??

Maybe I'm just being mean saying this...
No, you're spot on. Just leave them to their failed dreams of wealth.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Pace_T said:
they pay the premium so that they can say that their car is better than an equivalent japanese car, duh.

also, the ones that i find to be most snobbish are the ones that drive the most expensive cars e.g. amgs. extra snobbish if they drive those bmw merc or porsche 4wds.
The sad thing is their car is not better compared to the japanese rivals...like...if i only had the money for a 320i....i would rather consider the Euro or the Mazda 6 or something...

I dunno...it's probably just me that people who scrap enough just to buy the "premium" cars think that they have to act snobbish...
and the really expensive 4WD are also quite snobbish as well...

I mean...higher end models serves a purpose...but when i read mags and it says "the 320i is the volume seller"...makes you think how much people they are ripping off...

Pace_T

HSC
SipSip said:
The sad thing is their car is not better compared to the japanese rivals...like...if i only had the money for a 320i....i would rather consider the Euro or the Mazda 6 or something...
precisely. but some people value a nice badge more than a few better features here and there
theyve done well with their marketing. thats all.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
IDK either, most of the base models aren't nearly as good as the equivalent japanese model. Especially since for the same price you can spec up your Accord Euro/ IS250, Liberty, whatever.

osamabanana

HSC
i guess apart from the posers who like to have a wanky car alot of the time the engineering in the base model bmw 3 series is still in many cases better in some ways than that of its japanese counterpart. For example rear wheel drive bmw's still drive pretty damm well. They are also built well since they are german however arguably japanese cars are built just as well i guess.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
osamabanana said:
i guess apart from the posers who like to have a wanky car alot of the time the engineering in the base model bmw 3 series is still in many cases better in some ways than that of its japanese counterpart. For example rear wheel drive bmw's still drive pretty damm well. They are also built well since they are german however arguably japanese cars are built just as well i guess.
Mechanically japanese cars are just as well built, sometimes better. Generally interior quality and build is much better in german cars.

HSC
they are just showing how they wish they had the money to buy a top of the line luxury car but cant afford. they still want the status that comes with the stupid badge on the front.

and i think the issue with snobs and knobs driving the most expensive cars is that in most cases as wealth increases so does snobness/knobness/wankerness

F2001

HSC
I agree that bottom of the pit models are pointless esp from these brands with the added cost for nothing.

BUT, Sipsip, please. You really show flaws in your post, you have poor knowledge.

Weren't you also considering a TT (with the same fucking 1.8T LOL)? get a TT-S, it "serves a purpose".

4WDs for snobs? Hello, who the hell made this thread lol...

This thread is like me saying... leasing cars is for fucking poor people.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
F2001 said:
I agree that bottom of the pit models are pointless esp from these brands with the added cost for nothing.

BUT, Sipsip, please. You really show flaws in your post, you have poor knowledge.

Weren't you also considering a TT (with the same fucking 1.8T LOL)? get a TT-S, it "serves a purpose".

So...we should tell anyone wanting to buy an A4 to get an S4 instead.

F2001

HSC
Thats what Sipsip is basically saying, yes.

To make my point more clear, bottom of the pit. Ie, a 97 A4 2.6 (the old engine weaker than the 2.4) FWD is a waste of money. The 1.8T from that era has potential depending on how much you want to spend. the 2.8Q has the SC which puts it quite close to a stock B5 S4.

An example above. Probably even a S-Line B7 or even B6 is not worth it and a "newbie" car.:p

B6/B7 S4s are piss, B5 S4 is where its at. There is one I know of at Stage III+ in Sydney. Once you go above 3+ it's just crazy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ReO-R9rEQQ

my main pt is knowledge and research is everything.
318i/320i, A4s/A6s with 2.4, 2.6, 2.8 (well u can SC...) with autotragics are terrible of course.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
F2001 said:

True that i was considering the 2.0T TT....but provided that I want to chip a car...I can't really chip a 3.2 model, plus...the TT is more on looks than performance, I had an S3 for a while, so the TT-S will serve little purpose. Anyway, sticking with the A5 now. =D

As for the base models, I do see little point in getting base models, as you don't get anything but a shell, I mean, a 325i is already so much more better equipped than a 320i... What's worst is, there are people who opt to remove the model number at the back...or those to change the model sticker to an M3 or something...

I hate 4WD in general I think...they're generally a big hazard to other drivers in the event of a crash...

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
Mechanically japanese cars are just as well built, sometimes better. Generally interior quality and build is much better in german cars.
Wrong man. base model BMWs and Mercs and shit are terrible. I think it's because they're made in South Africa. Even the German ones don't have fit and finish as good as the japs. The interiors do look nice though.

And about the RWD: yeh, that's true. But RWD means the back is less roomy. It's not like japs can't make good handling RWD cars. They choose not to for a reason.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
There's still a perception that european cars are somehow better than their Japanese rivals. This hasn't been true for the past 20 years.

In the rush to compete with the japanese and stay financial, many marque's that used to make good cars have lowered their production and engineering standards to cut costs. Old mercs were some of the toughest, most reliable cars. Now woefully unreliable. Old puegeots had character and sporty class. Now they're blander than your average japanese hatch.

I lol at someone who buys a VW golf, let alone someone stupid enough to pay for a base model of one of the luxury brands. Love it when I see someone driving an A-class mercedes.

CieL

HSC
I think it's psychological.

It's like designer fashion.. the models on the catwalk.. how so many people over the world look at shit like D&G, Gucci, etc.. when I think it truely looks terrible and you wouldnt dress like that in public anyway..

It's the prestige of the name that makes people want to spend an amount of their income on it.. to become part of a society which is looked up upon..

And to buy a base model european car is almost like buying a fake Gucci wallet. To most people, it looks like the real thing. The high end shit. Like seriously, you'd be surprised how stupid some people are at differentiating models. The worst one was a girl who mistook a Hyundai for a Benz.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
CieL said:
I think it's psychological.

It's like designer fashion.. the models on the catwalk.. how so many people over the world look at shit like D&G, Gucci, etc.. when I think it truely looks terrible and you wouldnt dress like that in public anyway..

It's the prestige of the name that makes people want to spend an amount of their income on it.. to become part of a society which is looked up upon..

And to buy a base model european car is almost like buying a fake Gucci wallet. To most people, it looks like the real thing. The high end shit. Like seriously, you'd be surprised how stupid some people are at differentiating models. The worst one was a girl who mistook a Hyundai for a Benz.

I'm surprised how stupid some people are at differentiating models too...but this is coming from a person who is into cars...

On a personal level though...say a 320i...how much "pure driving pleasure" can you get from it when the car barely goes...be it a RWD...Same goes for the C200 I'm not saying you have to buy the top range models...but to go for the base one is just like putting a badge up saying "I want an expensive car, but obviously I can't afford it"

Guess that's why people buy base models...because to them and to their peers, as long as it's got a BMW, Merc or Four rings in the front, remove the model number if they are self conscious, and then just tell everyone it's something else...

F2001

HSC
Riet said:
Wrong man. base model BMWs and Mercs and shit are terrible. I think it's because they're made in South Africa. Even the German ones don't have fit and finish as good as the japs. The interiors do look nice though.

And about the RWD: yeh, that's true. But RWD means the back is less roomy. It's not like japs can't make good handling RWD cars. They choose not to for a reason.
That is true

On E36 BMWs. The early/first 318i were very poorly made, I even recall rear drum brakes in the 92-94 (?) years.
That said, I think even the convertibles/coupe 323i, 325i, 328i were also made in SA. The 325i/328i were quite good cars with good M50B25/M52B28 engines.

Onto Merc. Well most hardcores/purists would argue that every single Merc from early 90s to 2004 or 2005 was a pile of crap! (perhaps a few exceptions! ie E55 AMG).

Their AMGs are amazing beasts though, esp the C63.

SipSip said:
True that i was considering the 2.0T TT....but provided that I want to chip a car...I can't really chip a 3.2 model, plus...the TT is more on looks than performance, I had an S3 for a while, so the TT-S will serve little purpose. Anyway, sticking with the A5 now. =D

As for the base models, I do see little point in getting base models, as you don't get anything but a shell, I mean, a 325i is already so much more better equipped than a 320i... What's worst is, there are people who opt to remove the model number at the back...or those to change the model sticker to an M3 or something...

I hate 4WD in general I think...they're generally a big hazard to other drivers in the event of a crash...
Well I think badge swapping or debadging etc is another story. Related, but different.
Yes you could just chip it, but you could also do much more (I'm sure you are aware).
BUT, chipping here is $1500-$2000. Same thing/result in USA from the same tuners (lol) is $400. Might as well go standalone with a bigger turbo and requirements.

A5 should be sweet!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)