Whats the public transport like at Newcastle? (1 Viewer)

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
Particulary at the Uni.

and, should I buy a car to take with me?

public_bus5

HSC
Public transport is generally pretty good. There are many buses that run from the uni into the cbd and you can get anywhere once your in the cbd. Also the uni has many buses that also go through neighbouring suburbs. There is also a train service at the uni but im unsure how effective it is.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
See how you like the public transport, but if you can afford a car, get one.
Depending on where you are, buses can be more hourly than half-hourly.

MailMofo

HSC
The train is a pain in the ass if you miss it, we had to wait around an hour or so at the station after the open day with the mentally ill.

Lucky i have a car. :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Depends where you live. I'd say yes bring one even if you dont use it much, because there's lots to do, but you can still make good use of the public transport.

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
Thanks heaps for your feedback,
Its been a massive help.

I've been debating whether to spend my money on a car or use the money to live off until I find work of some description.

But then again, work would be hard to find without a car :mad1:

youwontknow

HSC
Yeah it depends where you'll be living? And how much extra time you're willing to spend out of the house (whether that is worth the lowered cost, and lowered environmental impact)...

I live in town (The Hill) and work at Glendale (all the way out the other side of newcastle basically). It takes me about 20 mins to walk to the bus stop, about 40 mins on the bus, and I get to work half an hour early.

From town, to uni, it's generally about half an hour on the bus. Which is pretty good when you don't have to worry about finding a park etc!

marshy01

HSC
Just remember if your driving get there really early (like 8.20 for a 9 am start) because parking is ridiculous there!!! and expensive if you pay day by day too!! after 9am you wont get a park period lol there is 15 000 students and only half that in parks lol

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Just remember if your driving get there really early (like 8.20 for a 9 am start) because parking is ridiculous there!!! and expensive if you pay day by day too!! after 9am you wont get a park period lol there is 15 000 students and only half that in parks lol
I wouldn't go THAT early, even on the first day.

If you have a class from 9am-1pm, I'd recommend coming at 9, atleast for the first 6-7 weeks.

sam5

HSC
is the parking situation really THAT bad?

Im not doubting u guys, but im just asking.

They need to do something about it if its that bad.

If its worse than westfield kotara for finding a park then thats disgraceful. Its dangerous too, cos pple start fightin for parks!

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
is the parking situation really THAT bad?

Im not doubting u guys, but im just asking.

They need to do something about it if its that bad.

If its worse than westfield kotara for finding a park then thats disgraceful. Its dangerous too, cos pple start fightin for parks!
It's been this bad since before I started. There's nothing they can really do about it.

Yeah, it's very similar to parking at Westfields during peak time.

sam5

HSC
It's been this bad since before I started. There's nothing they can really do about it.

Yeah, it's very similar to parking at Westfields during peak time.
oh shit

La Bomba

HSC
public transport is fkn shit in newcastle. itz transport system is like fuly shit. melbourne has a way better transport systems... and at least the trains nd buses run on time there/

marshy01

HSC
its like westfield kotara on christmas eve!! stupid!!!

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
why the fuck don't you get here and then decide that or i don't know, check the fucking transport time tables perhaps.

...yeah public transport is pretty adequate

jackydoll

HSC
I live at Belmont and have to take two buses just to get to Callaghan and I don't have my P's yet

still better than driving I guess

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I live at Belmont and have to take two buses just to get to Callaghan and I don't have my P's yet

still better than driving I guess
Driving's not that bad, it's the parking that's annoying.

I'm actually quite happy with going a few hours early to uni, it gives me an excuse to force myself to do some study/homework.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I reckon it's nicest in the mornings <3 Unless you're doing environmental law.

MailMofo

HSC
Where is the closest place to get buses to Callaghan campus ( Entering the West entrance close to the CS / Math buildings )?
The walk from Warabrook station to the engineering sector of the campus is fucking ridiculous.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Where is the closest place to get buses to Callaghan campus ( Entering the West entrance close to the CS / Math buildings )?
The walk from Warabrook station to the engineering sector of the campus is fucking ridiculous.
really not far at all hey the only really annoying bit is from the station to the forum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)