What's your critical response about? (1 Viewer)

Cheap Thrills

HSC
Thanks mate! I hope it goes alright. I chose a critical cos I suck quite badly at creative, and I'm not so good with technology. I can't wait though :D

kewlu

Banned
HSC
Cheap Thrills said:
Thanks mate! I hope it goes alright. I chose a critical cos I suck quite badly at creative, and I'm not so good with technology. I can't wait though :D
I went from critical to SS to critical again.

I'm like you - horrible at SS.

Cheap Thrills

HSC
Scrap the indigenous thing. I'm lookin at maybe doing something on Southern gothic fiction, with To Kill A Mocking Bird, The Colour Purple, A Streetcar named Desire, O Brother Where Art Thou? and Strange Fruit by Billie Holliday as possible texts. I reckon it would be more interesting than the indigenous thing. Maybe how the grotesque is represented? Any focus suggestions are welcome!

~LEAH~

HSC
My Critical Response was about (notice past tense YIPEEEE!) Harry Potter fan fiction.

Cheap Thrills that sounds great. Maybe a few too many texts though. You might find it difficult to go into a lot of detail but that maybe not what you want to do. I started out doing three or four different types of Harry Potter fan fiction and ended up examining one and a bit of another because of word constraints etc... I bet there would be lots of theory on the grotesque so that would be great. Good luck!

Cheap Thrills

HSC
Cool, thanks. I might focus on A Streetcar Named Desire and the song...:rolleyes:
Anyway, thanks again :)

Clever Chick

2008- Year 12
HSC
its the first day of year 12 woo!!!

anyway im doing EE2 but have no idea what im doing!

How do you choose?

How do you come up with something?

Im most probably doing a CR if not then a speech. Should i do look at what i like then try and come up with something?

I need help arrghhh!

Cheap Thrills

HSC
just read lots and lots, and talk to teachers about possible topics that grab your attention. Also, talk to teachers about possible literary theories, cos apparently markers like that.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Clever Chick said:
its the first day of year 12 woo!!!

anyway im doing EE2 but have no idea what im doing!

How do you choose?

How do you come up with something?

Im most probably doing a CR if not then a speech. Should i do look at what i like then try and come up with something?

I need help arrghhh!
Above all, do something that ignites your interest. It's very hard to write about something you do not share a passion for.

Concubine

Mew!
HSC
I'm looking at good and evil within four texts... Based on this quote:
| “All conflict in literature is, in its simplest form, a struggle between good and evil”
-John Steinbeck-|

Texts:
Wicked- Gregory Maguire
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- Louis Stevenson
The Crucible- Arthur Miller
Fairy tale

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Concubine said:
I'm looking at good and evil within four texts... Based on this quote:
| “All conflict in literature is, in its simplest form, a struggle between good and evil”
-John Steinbeck-|

Texts:
Wicked- Gregory Maguire
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- Louis Stevenson
The Crucible- Arthur Miller
Fairy tale
Good to see you've got a solid thesis down already. Good luck. :)

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
I'm thinking of doing the portrayal of the Utopia in literature, or maybe just a something on crit lit, like Derrida's Post-Structuralism/Deconstructionism; sooo hard to choose.

Cheap Thrills

HSC
maybe you should steer clear of utopias. judging by other posts in ee2 fourm, it seems like a pretty heavily done topic. unless of course you come up with an original way of presenting it, or play with the form of a critical response maybe. just a thought

lorikeet

New Year's Eve
HSC
I'm gonna try write out my idea because I think it will help me get my head together!

I guess what it utimately comes down to are the PREJUDICES people hold before experiencing/evaluating a text, especially as they stem from
1) the person/group it's coming from or the style/genre etc it's associated with, 2)their past experinces with things they percieve as related and
3)the response they believe is most 'appropriate' (what makes them look better) for them to experience.

This is kind of different from what I orginally thought my focus would be.... I was going to look at how the need people have to assert themselves as 'different' to people/groups they don't like or whatever effects their responses,
ie hating any text you're given in english because your TEACHER is making you read it, or immediately discarding advice or disagreeing with opinions of that girl you really don't like because you need to remain SEPARATE from her.

So actually I guess that still works.

Nick42673

HSC
Hey All,

I've been looking at doing, as my thesis line for the last ass. says, "The Decrease of Biculturism in Postcolonial Literature", or to put it more plainly, how literature in the post-colonial genre often shows us how cultures have greater potential to fail instead of meshing together to be able to carry on normally (theory of biculturism).

I'm looking at using:

Lloyd Jones' Mr Pip
Nicholas Jose's The Rose Crossing
and selected poems from Oodgeroo Noonuccal.

any thoughts on scope and others texts that could be used?

Since submitting my proposal I have altered the major work slightly to be more about how the texts symbolise conflicting cultures, and am also looking at pursuing this further.

N

gem.in.rough

HSC
hi everyone

I'm thinking of doing an analysis of the technique "breaking the fourth wall" (where the actor/s acknowledge the presense of the camera/audience) in theatre, television and film but am having trouble finding related material. Any ideas?

morning storm

HSC
first thing that comes to mind is ferris bueler.. and then sex and the city..

im writing a crit response to the ultra conservative christian's response to harry potter

Debbo

HSC
I'm exploring representaions of evil in horrror films and how it reflects the social anxieties of its contexts. So like the evil in horror films in the 50s was predominantly aliens and mutations which reflectioned the fear of communist 'enemy aliens' and the A bomb. Stuff like that...

I wanted to explain these fears in relation to Freud's theory of 'the Uncanny' but do you think this would detract my essay from the englishy side of things and make it more of a psychological paper?

wendus

krawr.
HSC
weeeell, here is a short excerpt from my proposal on my concept: (it was a first draft; excuse the bad english x()

Through the examination of Immanuel Kant’s ‘Observations of the Feeling of the Beautiful and Sublime’ (1764) I intend to explore the way in which Kant’s philosophies hold the ability to transcend the barriers of time, and consequently how they are represented and reflected in two specific texts of later time periods – T. S. Eliot’s The Waste Land and Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. Subsequently, I would examine the universal qualities and aspects of Kant’s philosophies, along with an inquiry into reasons for the chosen authors’ decisions to represent these through their maintenance, alteration, or development. This relates to the authors’ personal, professional and historical contexts, which in turn is indicative of the changing perceptions and value of Kant’s principles, and these allow for them to be explored in the respective texts of later time periods.

mwehehehe hi debdeb.

Dis Amrahs

HSC
My major is a critical study of the beat generation. so far, i dunno if ill look specifically at the social dynamics of the artists, or at the wrtiting style, "spontaneous prose." probably both

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)