What's your critical response about? (1 Viewer)

HSC
bit of a late reply but anyway...

'the representations of gay men in Australian film during the 1990s'

mattspiteri92

HSC
hey guys, can u help me out

I am thinking of doing a critical response, on the role of certain life philosophies e.g. Machiavellianism, Nihlism, Hedonism in the Musical genre of film

but im thinking of breaking up my paragraphs with like stage directions i write, or with like lyrics to songs in the musicals that i make up - thoughts??

also i dont want to write my essay in a really formal and sophisticated way, but rather as if i am talking to someone - sort of have a tongue in cheek tone --> a critical analysis with personality???

is that possible hahah

stillwaters

HSC
yea, that's defintely possible... it sounds like a great idea ^^
ummm... you should talk to your teacher about this next term...
google fictocriticism (it's a more personalised form of critical response... might not be quite what you're looking for but it's a starting point if you're focused on writing a critical response that isn't the traditional academic essay etc.)... there's autoethnography as well, which is another more personal form of critical response. they're examples of critical responses which are experimentations with the form.
if you can get your hands on the young writer's showcases (which is like exemplar responses from previous 4 unit english people) (ask teacher again) there's critical responses which have people breaking up paragraphs with personal thoughts things ( i dont know how to describe them but they're similar to what you want to do)
yea.. anyway, it is possible :)
(wow... i remember i wasnt even thinking about my critical response same time last year... more... either eating... or watching tv... :p)

MGNBKR

HSC
i want to do the significance of non-linear narrative in tarrantino films. oh tarrantino..
either that or how contemporary artists are allowing for greater involvement of their audience. [maybe a really dumb question, but..] does the critical essay have to be in relation to texts??
my teachers kind of hinting to me that she wants me to do a narrative..

claudz3

HSC
I'm thinking "Cannibalism; popularised and idealised in the eyes of literature".
Questioning why society has such a profound interest in taboos such as cannibalism. I'm planning on using the Hannibal Lecter series, and other texts to back it up such as the bible and childrens stories eg Hansel and Gretal...thoughts?

stillwaters

HSC
claudz3 said:
I'm thinking "Cannibalism; popularised and idealised in the eyes of literature".
Questioning why society has such a profound interest in taboos such as cannibalism. I'm planning on using the Hannibal Lecter series, and other texts to back it up such as the bible and childrens stories eg Hansel and Gretal...thoughts?
hey that's an interesting idea :) yea, hannibal lecter, hansel and gretel too... i jsut finished reqading perfume by patrick suskind (recently made into a movie i think last year?) and it has some cannibalism (a little bit though and more to do with emphasising the desire to be closer to people aleit in a literal... i guess... way... o_O) mm

claudz3

HSC
stillwaters said:
hey that's an interesting idea :) yea, hannibal lecter, hansel and gretel too... i jsut finished reqading perfume by patrick suskind (recently made into a movie i think last year?) and it has some cannibalism (a little bit though and more to do with emphasising the desire to be closer to people aleit in a literal... i guess... way... o_O) mm
Haha yes, i've read that, it's quite good. I've got to be all knowing though. Does it sound relevant to be interviewing an anthropologist? Or someone who's been to, like, New Guinea or somewhere still somewhat primative (I was thinking about that idiot reporter lady and that Wah Wah boy too?) I don't know....bleugh.

alexmartinek

HSC
My critical response is based on the extension 1 english course and is about how the detective in crime fiction contrasts the psychological state and the ways of thinking common to their social contexts.

If anyone is doing similar, please send me a message. :D

Last edited:

muso12

HSC
ok so i find it hard to focus on a specific idea when i have so many thoughts and ideas swimming through my head but i have a proposal due next week and ive finally had to start thinking lol

I want it to have something to do with philosophy/psychology within certain films and film characters.

I had an idea along the lines of batman characters and the psychology behind their will-to-life (Arthur Schopenhauer) and how they reflect certain aspects of society.

But that's still way too broad :burn:

Any help would be soooooooo appreciated :wave:

5233andy

HSC
I'm focusing mine on a philosophical/psychological paradigm of humanity, with the use of literature and cinematography as evidence. My first draft has been completed, however, it exudes a whole lot of 'nothingness', and have since returned to square one.

muso12

HSC
I'm focusing mine on a philosophical/psychological paradigm of humanity, with the use of literature and cinematography as evidence. My first draft has been completed, however, it exudes a whole lot of 'nothingness', and have since returned to square one.
Exactly what i was so very difficulty trying to say :p

Dog from Oz

HSC
First post!!! Wooooooo! G'day Bitches. :D

I've decided to do an analysis of John Fowles (The Collector, The French Lieutenant's Woman) but I can't narrow down my thesis at all. I was thinking something in regard to Ethics, Moral philospy or Phsycology. It's so hard to think this early in the game.

Now for my token Q (just like everybody else).
How detailed do we have to be for our proposal?

Dog from Oz

HSC
I want it to have something to do with philosophy/psychology within certain films and film characters.
I had an idea along the lines of batman characters and the psychology behind their will-to-life (Arthur Schopenhauer) and how they reflect certain aspects of society.
That doesn't sound that broad to start off with. Just Phrase your proposal as "Social archetypes and functions reflected by *Insert B-Man characters here*"

That sounds hella fun. My girlfriend was going to do one on the Dark Night in relation to the Anti-Hero and post-modernism but she's chosen fiction instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)