Votes: 85 13.7%
  • Trans

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 23 3.7%

• Total voters

candybink

HSC
These stats are so different from what I see!
I know most of Bos members are from Sydney, but to a country girl, the amount of gays and lesbians are amazing.
The only true encounter I had with a gay guy was typical of the rural prejudice you get towards homosexuals in the country. He came out and was practically thrown out of the town... He moved to Sydney, because up here no one could handle it. He was an awesome funny bloke. It's a shame because people in the country are so far behind when it comes to being open and honest with themselves. There are far too many okkers out here who need to be rough and tough "men".
I'm sure there are plenty more gays around my town, but my gawd they sure aren't coming out any time soon.

hsc=suicide

HSC
i couldnt be fucked reading all the posts. but am i the only one who noticed the high number of transexuals?!

S1MO you are a dickhead.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
candybink said:
These stats are so different from what I see!
I know most of Bos members are from Sydney, but to a country girl, the amount of gays and lesbians are amazing.
The only true encounter I had with a gay guy was typical of the rural prejudice you get towards homosexuals in the country. He came out and was practically thrown out of the town... He moved to Sydney, because up here no one could handle it. He was an awesome funny bloke. It's a shame because people in the country are so far behind when it comes to being open and honest with themselves. There are far too many okkers out here who need to be rough and tough "men".
I'm sure there are plenty more gays around my town, but my gawd they sure aren't coming out any time soon.
Isn't it "ochre"? You're not doing a good job of representing people from the country.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
hsc=suicide: I think that probably about half of the people who chose "trans" were probably just being idiots. I doubt many transpeople would feel welcome on these boards.

jumb: I think it's "ocker" or "okker", I don't think it has a set spelling. "Ochre" is a pigment made from water and rock scrapings.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
AlleyCat said:
Ok, now everyone knows I love the gays. I am a fag hag of the highest order. Right Kami? lol
Definitely - I wouldn't be surprised if you have gay pr0n on your iPod.:p

AlleyCat said:
But I do think that sexuality has certain traits that transpose to people's personality. While I don't think all gay men are feminine, they are on the whole more campy, for want of a better word.
I think alot of that would have to do with how people grow up thinking of men and women too. I mean if you grow up with a certain idea of how male/female works and then find out you're gay/bi ... then the bubble kind of bursts if you know what I mean. The other thing is advertising - if you don't show in some way or another that you're gay then you'll never meet another gay so there's a certain motivation to conform to those gay stereotypes to some extent.

dagwoman said:
I doubt many transpeople would feel welcome on these boards.
I think the biggest obstacle to their being many trangendered persons on this site is the age range more than anything else - considering the surgery involved (few live at home either). You don't see many transexuals at uni or highschool either, even in queerspace, for similar reasons.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
You can be transgendered without the surgery, though. I know a number of transgender people, our age and one or two younger, as well. I do know what you mean though about age being a factor. But I do know that those people wouldn't feel particularly at home at BOS.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
dagwoman said:
You can be transgendered without the surgery, though.
Wouldn't that mean they were tranvestites then? :confused:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
kami said:
Wouldn't that mean they were tranvestites then? :confused:
Here's a brief lowdown:

Transvestites are also called drag kings or queens- basically they dress up like the opposite sex but don't necessarily view it as an expression of their "true" gender.

Transgender is the state of one's "gender identity" (self-identification as male, female, both or neither) not matching one's "assigned gender" (identification by others as male or female based on physical/genetic sex). Transgender does not imply any specific form of sexual orientation — transgender people may identify as queer, heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual or asexual (Wikipedia) Basically, it's an evolving term that is used as an umbrella in many situations. Individuals who ID as transgender don't necessarily use hormones or undergo surgery.

Intersexuality is a term used to describe a person whose sex chromosomes, genitalia and/or secondary sex characteristics are determined to be neither exclusively male nor female. A person with intersex may have biological characteristics of both the male and female sexes. People who fit this category were previously referred to as "hermaphrodites".

Transsexual people identify as, or desire to live and be accepted as, a member of the gender opposite to that assigned at birth. Many transsexual people also want to change their bodies. These physical changes are collectively known as sex reassignment therapy and often include hormones and sex reassignment surgery. (Wiki again)

Genderqueer is a recent attempt to signify gendered experiences that do not fit into binary concepts, and refers to a combination of gender identities and sexual orientations. One example could be a person whose gendered presentation is sometimes perceived as male, sometimes female, but whose gender identity is female, gendered expression is butch, and sexual orientation is lesbian. It suggests nonconformity or mixing of gendered stereotypes, conjoining both gender and gayness, and challenges existing constructions and identities. Genderqueerness is unintelligible and abjected in the binary sex/gender system.

-End rant-

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
dagwoman said:
Here's a brief lowdown:

Transvestites are also called drag kings or queens- basically they dress up like the opposite sex but don't necessarily view it as an expression of their "true" gender.

<snip>

-End rant-
Cool. Didn't know that. I guess you learn something new everyday ...

HSC
N/A
caseybegg said:
what classifies as other?
In case you missed dagwoman's stellar post:

You can break out of the oppressive patriarchal dichotomy of sexualities (straight/bi/gay) by simply calling yourself whatever you like. This is more valid if you take some BS women's studies course at a community college.

Thus you can be a straight male on wednesday, a butch woman on saturday and still be attracted to dogs and automobiles for the rest of the week.

This would come under "other" in our poll, which itself only serves to reinforce the stereotypes society imposes on individuals on the basis of their sexualities.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
agentprovocater said:
It's the truth tho innit? More chances of discrimination and narrow minds in the country in terms of attitudes towards alternative sexualities.

I don't know why but I feel uncomfortable around lesbians, and feel disgust at the thought of transexuals and transcestites...don't ask why cos I dont noe...

Maybe its cos I only noe gay guys? Who noes..

BUT i'd be very civil towards any of the above I've discussed. And ofcourse, for the record, I see nothing wrong with homosexuality..
What the hell does that post actually mean?

You agree, but disagree with a topic of which you're ignorant about?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)