What's your WAM and GPA? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah, absolutely. a d average is commendable by anyone's measures. 70 not so much.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
stazi said:
yeah, absolutely. a d average is commendable by anyone's measures. 70 not so much.
D averages are harder to maintain in certain courses.

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
stazi said:
awesome, well ill find out on friday once results come out

stazi

Nightman
HSC
erawamai said:
D averages are harder to maintain in certain courses.
yeah, law and some social sciences as I've heard. Also if you do finance or ecmt and aren't gifted with maths (for the latter)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
stazi said:
yeah, law and some social sciences as I've heard. Also if you do finance or ecmt and aren't gifted with maths (for the latter)
Law is harder than social science to maintain a D average. For both marking is subjective. You can't exactly go back to a tutor and justify why you should get x number as a mark.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I do better in law than communigaytion, but then again i go to uws :(
Do you have really fanatical law superdooperhyper competitive people at uws? I mean *If I don't get 80 I'm going to cry and harass my tutor until he or she gives me or explains in detail why I didn't get above 80 * type people?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
erawamai said:
Do you have really fanatical law superdooperhyper competitive people at uws? I mean *If I don't get 80 I'm going to cry and harass my tutor funtil he or she gives me or explains in detail why I didn't get above 80 * type people?
No, not that I know of.... most people are fairly laid back.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
erawamai said:
Law is harder than social science to maintain a D average. For both marking is subjective. You can't exactly go back to a tutor and justify why you should get x number as a mark.
government, for example, is very similar to that. In fact, I hate government. I want to kill it. 68% for it.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
stazi said:
government, for example, is very similar to that. In fact, I hate government. I want to kill it. 68% for it.
Also different teachers like different types of essay writing style. I've gotten as low was 65% for one major 3rd year Arts essay (40% essay) up to 85% for one major 3rd year arts (60%) essay. Some teachers just like the way you write more than others.

In other words structure Nazis (the ones who mathematically tell the class how to put together a paragraph) don't like the way I write.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
stazi said:
i don't see how 81.64 is crap either. it's very high.
He is just joking around. Chill:).

fornstar said:
is between 70 and 75 ok?
Apparently Macquarie University marks really hard and scales marks and restricts the amount of distinctions and high distinctions give out, so a 75 WAM at Macquarie University is great:).

erawamai said:
Also different teachers like different types of essay writing style. I've gotten as low was 65% for one major 3rd year Arts essay (40% essay) up to 85% for one major 3rd year arts (60%) essay. Some teachers just like the way you write more than others.

In other words structure Nazis (the ones who mathematically tell the class how to put together a paragraph) don't like the way I write.
Man I hate essay based subjects:mad:!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
SoCal said:
He is just joking around. Chill:).

Apparently Macquarie University marks really hard and scales marks and restricts the amount of distinctions and high distinctions give out, so a 75 WAM at Macquarie University is great:).

Man I hate essay based subjects:mad:!
apparently all unis do that. then again some subjects don't scale having heaps of people on 80+ marks. others dont scale but mark like nazis (read: marketing). So much so, that a 90 mark is considered to be the highest mark in the history of a subject.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
erawamai said:
...because you can't write essays?
Correct but mainly because I don't try because I hate them;).

stazi said:
apparently all unis do that. then again some subjects don't scale having heaps of people on 80+ marks. others dont scale but mark like nazis (read: marketing). So much so, that a 90 mark is considered to be the highest mark in the history of a subject.
I believe that none of the subjects that I have done have ever been scaled:).

Demandred

HSC
Wam = 76.25
GPA = 5.625

Out of curiosity, what matters more? WAM or GPA?

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Demandred said:
Out of curiosity, what matters more? WAM or GPA?
Transfer/grad med, GPA. Otherwise mostly WAM, but neither really matters.

ace

is retired
HSC
WAM 78.939
CSE WAM 82.14
FCE WAM 75.364
GPA 6.03

To many different wam's to qualify for different things. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)