When applying for a job, is age a big factor of whether you become employed? (1 Viewer)

bawd

HSC
Well, I'm looking for a casual job which I would like to start sometime before or during the Christmas shopping period. Basically, I'm wondering if places like Woolworths, Big W, Coles etc. take age into consideration when choosing new employees?

Also, should I agree to take on a few more shifts at first, then renegotiate times as I become more experienced? I would like to work around 1 or 2 shifts per week during school terms, and I can work up to about four or more shifts a week during the holidays, but I don't know if this will seem much too less to the employer. I would work more, but I've got Chinese tutoring on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. I am keeping on top of my homework/assessments/study well, but I think I could start doing homework faster, or compromising a few more free study periods and lunch times. I don't want to give up too many social outings. (I don't have many anyway, I have an outing with friends about once a month)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Well employers will always look for the cheapest option when it comes to hiring especially in retail so I guess in a way yes age is a factor if only because they have to pay you more if you're older. Judging by your profile I would say this is not so much a problem for you.

TBH you've probably left it a little late for getting a Christmas job, you've gotta get in early, say September - but by all means apply because you never know.

As for availability, the more you've got the better you look to the employer obviously. Christmas casual jobs in particular demand that you're around just about 24/7 however, you won't necessarily be rostered on for every hour you're available.

Concentrate on getting an interview first and work out shifts once you've landed the job IMO.

bawd

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Well employers will always look for the cheapest option when it comes to hiring especially in retail so I guess in a way yes age is a factor if only because they have to pay you more if you're older. Judging by your profile I would say this is not so much a problem for you.

TBH you've probably left it a little late for getting a Christmas job, you've gotta get in early, say September - but by all means apply because you never know.

As for availability, the more you've got the better you look to the employer obviously. Christmas casual jobs in particular demand that you're around just about 24/7 however, you won't necessarily be rostered on for every hour you're available.

Concentrate on getting an interview first and work out shifts once you've landed the job IMO.
Thanks, that really helped. A bit late huh? Yeah I was supposed to go around the beginning of this term, but I completely forgot.

bawd

HSC
Another thing, when handing in my resume, do I just ask one of the employees for the manager? What if no managers are on site?

Jon73

human dick-tionary
HSC
You're not ready for a job.

Take some initiative.

ohyeoj

HSC
Sadly yes age does matter, but depends if the boss is friendly or unfriendly. Mostly bosses go for cheerful, alert, smart and fast-hardworking workers. So yea, they would normally choose younger people for tasks that do not require skill and are cheaper to employ.

MonKazzar

HSC
Age can matter, but experience is also something they rely on. I work at maccas.. ( lame I know but its a job) and I get paid almost double the little 15 year olds and they actually want me to work there... And yeh christmas jobs a bit late. They are probably all full, But I know places like gloss and cotton on are hiring :)

CieL

HSC
Age is taken into consideration in accordance with the store budget.
If the store is massive and can afford to hire a billion employees then age is not so much of an issue.. however if the store is poor and doesn't make much sales, then they would possibly want cheaper alternatives..

As for the shift things.. It's bloody annoying when people start off saying they're available 24/7, then when you hire them and put them into the system they only want to work on sunday or something.. However, if you do put you're only available 1-2 days a week, your chances of getting the job slim down substantially because it costs about $800 to register one new person into the system. So basically it seems like you'll take forever to work off the amount they spent on you.

When handing in a resume, always try to give it to a manager. And there will always be at least one manager on site. I mean, how is the store meant to run without at least one? Try to hand it in between 9am-5pm. I've had retards come in at 10pm and expect the departmental managers to still be there.

Besides, why are you worrying about age?
You should be between 16-18 I'm guessing? Age should only become an issue when you hit 20.

studentcheese

HSC
Sadly, age is a factor when you are under 16 because you have your parents to give you money.

Vitus

HSC
Above the age of 17 or so it is more about availability than age. The better hours for your employer you can work, the more likely you are to get a job.

born2b

HSC
bawd said:
Also, should I agree to take on a few more shifts at first, then renegotiate times as I become more experienced? I would like to work around 1 or 2 shifts per week during school terms, and I can work up to about four or more shifts a week during the holidays, but I don't know if this will seem much too less to the employer. I would work more, but I've got Chinese tutoring on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. I am keeping on top of my homework/assessments/study well, but I think I could start doing homework faster, or compromising a few more free study periods and lunch times. I don't want to give up too many social outings. (I don't have many anyway, I have an outing with friends about once a month)
dude.. way too less any employers not gonna be interested most probably..

make the effort and look at your closest mall .. they probably 95% allready hired.. you can apply online and your gonna have to make more of an effort to get more hours for starters.. lols

cheers gl

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
during the last 2 semesters, i've works almost every saturday and saturday with the odd call of them calling me in.

i work ~20 hours per week over 2 shifts. =p

They want me to work more though, because i'm so damn awesome =]

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
yeah younger you are cheaper they can pay you..

also availiablity

i find it hard to get a job cos i can not work sundays

bawd

HSC
born2b said:
dude.. way too less any employers not gonna be interested most probably..

make the effort and look at your closest mall .. they probably 95% allready hired.. you can apply online and your gonna have to make more of an effort to get more hours for starters.. lols

cheers gl
My friend did two shifts a week during school semesters and four during holidays, so no its not too less. It depends on the store, as well as your proficiency as an employee according to a mate of mine. In fact, most of my friends only work about about two or three shifts each week, doubling up during the holidays and reducing it to one shift during important periods of exams and assessments.

I'm going to spend the rest of this term reorganising my school life, social life and exercise habits first, and then I'll go on a crazy resume giving rampage during the Christmas holidays. I want to improve my chances of getting chosen by getting more hours as the person above has suggested. I don't mind if I don't get a job as a Christmas casual though, as I'm not desperate for money.

BTW, would it be more ideal to start looking at the beginning of the Christmas shopping period or once it dies down a bit? I'm thinking that managers will be much too worried with their current employees, stocking and whatever during the Christmas period to have time to be concerned about a new applicant or even remember. Once it calms down a bit I'm guessing it will be easier to get an interview and the managers will be less stressed. Or am I totally wrong?

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
why do you have chinese tutoring when you don't study chinese?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
bawd said:
My friend did two shifts a week during school semesters and four during holidays, so no its not too less. It depends on the store, as well as your proficiency as an employee according to a mate of mine. In fact, most of my friends only work about about two or three shifts each week, doubling up during the holidays and reducing it to one shift during important periods of exams and assessments.

I'm going to spend the rest of this term reorganising my school life, social life and exercise habits first, and then I'll go on a crazy resume giving rampage during the Christmas holidays. I want to improve my chances of getting chosen by getting more hours as the person above has suggested. I don't mind if I don't get a job as a Christmas casual though, as I'm not desperate for money.

BTW, would it be more ideal to start looking at the beginning of the Christmas shopping period or once it dies down a bit? I'm thinking that managers will be much too worried with their current employees, stocking and whatever during the Christmas period to have time to be concerned about a new applicant or even remember. Once it calms down a bit I'm guessing it will be easier to get an interview and the managers will be less stressed. Or am I totally wrong?
You could try the new year period? Idk. Your chances of getting hired during the Christmas rush are probably slim to none but in say Jan-Feb when the Christmas casual staff drop off the roster and people are frantically back-to-school shopping (hence stores=busy again) might be a good time? Look for specific job advertisments as well, that way you know the place is looking to hire (thus you've got a better chance) rather than resume dropping and hoping for the best.

There's never a BAD time to apply for a job though. Just some times you're gonna be luckier than others I guess. Put yourself out there, you never know if you can get a job if you don't apply for one.

spence

HSC
MonKazzar said:
Age can matter, but experience is also something they rely on. I work at maccas.. ( lame I know but its a job) and I get paid almost double the little 15 year olds and they actually want me to work there... :)
Yeah i'm the same, they're still giving me some sunday shifts even though i get more than 3 times some people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)