When doing past papers (1 Viewer)

sickk

HSC
Why does it help to do past papers? Do you do them to time constraints? Do you do the whole paper in the 3 hours? or just section by section? What makes it different from rewriting notes etc?
:blah:

lychnobity

HSC
Why does it help to do past papers? Do you do them to time constraints? Do you do the whole paper in the 3 hours? or just section by section? What makes it different from rewriting notes etc?
:blah:
Because you're applying what you know, they sort out what you should be studying.

Just do one, then come back and answer your own question.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
it's good practice because:

- you get used to the conditions you will be tested in [incl. time constraints]

- you become familiar with the paper's structure [hone time management skills + see where your strengths lie, etc]

basically it's applying your notes.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
In Maths, it's one thing to know the theory, it's another to know when and how to apply it to a question. Same with Phys and Chem.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
you sometimes learn stuff u never knew b4. especially in multiple choice, with some random questions...
its also good to do when u get bored of your notes as well. past papers are much easier to do then repeatedly reading your notes.
depends on the subject too i guess.

maths you obviously have to do past papers.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I subjects with extended responsese like the Histories it helps you develop the writing skills that are needed to get the marks.

HSC
Trust me, they're important. Its not coincidental that I got better marks in the subjects that I did past papers for (English, Ancient and PDHPE), than the subjects that I didn't do them for (Maths and Bio). My study time for all subjects would have been about even, but obviously past papers made that study time more productive.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Past Papers are great for the following reasons:

1. You get experience with real questions which are very similar to the other years
2. Your eyes are opened to the vulnerabilities in your solutions (if you have solutions with the past papers)
3. You can practice getting faster and faster under the time constraints
4. Practice ^_^ if you run out of other tests or get bored of textbook questions

shady145

Banned
HSC
Past Papers are great for the following reasons:

1. You get experience with real questions which are very similar to the other years
2. Your eyes are opened to the vulnerabilities in your solutions (if you have solutions with the past papers)
3. You can practice getting faster and faster under the time constraints
4. Practice ^_^ if you run out of other tests or get bored of textbook questions
+1
u get to see the average difficulty of questions

hollaholla

HSC
I can never ever make the conditions at home similar to exam conditions lol so i end up doing random questions at random times....not too bad i tell you.

ajay098

HSC
sometimes the way the questions are worded in the exam paper is different to text book questions. THey are often a bit more tricky to test your understanding.

It also helps with the amount of info you need to write cos sometimes ur notes are very detailed and by doing practice papers, you come to a better understanding of what is required to get full marks without writing pages and pages

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Also gives you an idea of how stupid you are.
I mean, I did the 2008 4u HSC paper and I got 70/120.. :burn: And that made me realise I have to study a lot more for Maths :(

hollaholla

HSC
Also gives you an idea of how stupid you are.
I mean, I did the 2008 4u HSC paper and I got 70/120.. :burn: And that made me realise I have to study a lot more for Maths :(
70/120 for 4u maths is terrible.
time to slit wrist?

jellybelly59

HSC
sometimes the way the questions are worded in the exam paper is different to text book questions. THey are often a bit more tricky to test your understanding.

It also helps with the amount of info you need to write cos sometimes ur notes are very detailed and by doing practice papers, you come to a better understanding of what is required to get full marks without writing pages and pages
:O code geass fan

yeah... pretty much what everyone above said :)

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
dw brah, u dont need to do past papers

that job @ mcdonalds is always there for you to take

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Just don't hit them too early and learn everything from past papers. For me, I actually add to my notes from the past papers. As said, it bridges gaps in knowledges and shows whether you can actually articulate and apply your knowledge properly.

kwabon

Banned
HSC
Just don't hit them too early and learn everything from past papers. For me, I actually add to my notes from the past papers. As said, it bridges gaps in knowledges and shows whether you can actually articulate and apply your knowledge properly.
do this, it really helps, speaking from experience.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Allows you to apply your theoretical knowledge in a practical manner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)