• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

When is music considered good? (1 Viewer)

shmeado

HSC
i'm angry at the amount of terrible music released these days and i wsa wondering how people like TV rock or whatever can make it in the top 1000 of songs this year? i mean anyone could release a song these days all you need is a computer and a microphone, and if you re stuck for a good tune why not steal somenoe elses?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
you're not that angry.

i feel you. i do music as my major at uni, and i think about it day in and day out.

nothing you can really do.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Music is good when you think it is

ur_inner_child said:
you're not that angry.

i feel you. i do music as my major at uni, and i think about it day in and day out.

nothing you can really do.
on an off topic, how is the con? I'm thinking of doing a double degree with engineering and arts (im doing engineering at the moment). Now do they have music studies or some kinda general music course as part of an arts degree (come to think of it, am i even allowed to do that? :p )

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
i would be interested in doing some units in musicology, just for general interest, do you do any of that UIC? That is, i do not want to learn about the technical side of music, like pitch, sound waves etc, but more the sociological impact of music. To my understand, that is what musicology is, does usyd offer any units in that?

BronwynKate

HSC
I consider music good when it is complex, has a hook line and has feeling - like meaningful songs and lyrics.

A good whole song is better than the sum of its parts.

Box Hill TAFE has many units in musicology. If you study the Bachelor of Applied Music you will get up to speed and form your own ideas of good music.

http://www.bhtafe.edu.au/Courses/Info/MusicDegrees.htm

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
i would be interested in doing some units in musicology, just for general interest, do you do any of that UIC? That is, i do not want to learn about the technical side of music, like pitch, sound waves etc, but more the sociological impact of music. To my understand, that is what musicology is, does usyd offer any units in that?
yeah mate i was thinking the same thing. i think you MIGHT be able to put it into an arts degree with geography or sociology, because technically it is an analysis of pop culture and geography studies may include that. As for the sociology side, music could be some sort of external factor that affects human behaviour or something like that (again, pretty far fetched...but we can hope :p)

However, if there were a dedicated music degree or course i'd think it would be at the conservatorium...i might be able to get away with a bit of instrument playing, i got up to like grade 7 piano and i play guitar, but yeah i'm more interested in studying music in society or that kind of thing too.

shimmerz_777

HSC
BronwynKate said:
I consider music good when it is complex, has a hook line and has feeling - like meaningful songs and lyrics.

I tried to say the exact same thing, and i gave examples, and i was attacked because of it. i agree with you on that one

"i mean anyone could release a song these days all you need is a computer and a microphone, and if you re stuck for a good tune why not steal somenoe elses?"

as ive also said im all for music being played through instruments and recordings, not cpu's and again, all i got was a massive shit fight because i provided examples

i guess by validating a claim with an example i just piss people off because they dont agree with me.

BronwynKate

HSC
Not to put pigeons on the popularity of cover music.

Everyone has put their own spin on Kim Wilde's KIDS IN AMERICA. It's even in Clueless.

Maybe it's the way we say things which gets attacked or ignored. Many people just like to pick a fight.

I'm on the side of political correctness which I just consider to be good manners and respect to all people and their music styles.

Here's a blog on just this subject you might enjoy:

http://blog.donnawilliams.net/2006/04/05/i-can-fart-you-an-earworm/

It's the Australian author Donna Williams who is also a sculptress and musician. I think you and she might share some common ground.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
shimmerz_777 said:
I tried to say the exact same thing, and i gave examples, and i was attacked because of it. i agree with you on that one

"i mean anyone could release a song these days all you need is a computer and a microphone, and if you re stuck for a good tune why not steal somenoe elses?"

as ive also said im all for music being played through instruments and recordings, not cpu's and again, all i got was a massive shit fight because i provided examples

i guess by validating a claim with an example i just piss people off because they dont agree with me.

There is NOTHING wrong with making music from a computer...

BronwynKate

HSC
I've heard lots of great music that I wouldn't otherwise hear if it wasn't for the computer.

alyce5683

HSC
Well this is my opinion most top 40 stuff is the worst thing ever and that is why i recommend you listen to triple j. It is different but if you stick it out you will find out they have awesome presenters (i recommend robbie buck on weekdays at 3 pm - 5.30 or jay and the doctor in the mornings from 6-9am) and that there is actually new music worth listening to not this rap crap!

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
I think, that music is good depending on a variety of factors.

You see, if they played some old-time 60's stuff and i was in a club (not a bowlo mind you) i would say its shit music...because i would be there to dance. However, if im sitting around studying or whatever, i might not have a problem listening to it..and at that point in time it is good.

I can say i dont like techno stuff, but when in my friends car i actaully do, and so then it is good.

I think, if music complements your mood at the time, then it is good.

BronwynKate

HSC
Some sixties songs have a real beat, and then I want to get up and dance.

It's great how the same song has different connotations when we are in different moods. I like how music and all art can be multi-faceted like this.

243_robbo

HSC
in my most humblest opinion fellow dudes and dudettes each peice must be looked at in it's context. A fifteen minute epic power ballad featuring solos et all is great when you think about the skill and improv ability required to perform such a task - see Iron Maiden's rime of the ancient mariner. similarly one migh appreciate the value of an artist sampling all kinds of crazy things at great speeds - See grandmaster flashs adventures of grandmaster flash on the wheels of steel. both examples are a world apart and require different sorts of skills and as such should not be compared but looked at based on their own merit.

btw so what is teh question here- is comptuer generated music good or bad?
or does music have to require great on the fly skill to play in order to be good?

BronwynKate

HSC
Oh, I love improv!

And Iron Maiden - pure genius!

(Even if it is very loud and very long).

Reminds me of Bohemian Rhapsody

"very very frightening thunder and lightning me".

shimmerz_777

HSC
Computer made music may sound good, but i dont like the idea that removes the elements which make a classic band. picture this:

you go to a concert to see fatboy slim. on the stage, there is a man standing infront of a turntable, bobbing up and down, tiwsting knobs and dials and doing eyerything by the computer. sure it may sound good, but it lacks stage dynamics, which is why they result on have dancers and what not onstage to divert your attention away. people go there to dance, not to listen to music.

a good rock band goes on stage, they have explosive power, run up and down, speed up and slow down songs, presenting them in ways which are unique, improvised solo's. they are the feature of the stage, they produce their music, and people go to see that.

thats just one thing i dont like about it, plus i see alot more skill involved in mastering an instrument than a computer program. you may call me a music elist for this but it is honestly what i believe. if you dont agree than fine, i dont expect you too. just giving my reasons yet agian

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)